Author Topic: Mustard brandy chicken from NEW GF cookbook  (Read 10855 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
Mustard brandy chicken from NEW GF cookbook
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:22:27 am »
Posting this one for those of you who have an older edition of the GF cookbook. (On page 40 in current edition)
Might have to compare indexes and see if there are any other different ones. (This one doesn't have the stir fry chicken wings)

Number of People: 4-6
Ingredients:
4 skinless chicken breasts (or 2 butterflied)
1-2 bunches of asparagus or green beans
40g butter
4 eschalots peeled (I just used 1/2 a brown onion)
60g brandy
60g dry white wine
3 tbsp seeded mustard
300g chicken stock (I used stock concentrate in water)
120g cream
1 tbsp cornflour
salt and pepper to taste
chives as garnish

Preparation:
Prepare chicken by placing it into the varoma dish. Make sure that all the steam vents are not covered
Remove woody bits from asparagus or top and tail beans. Place in varoma tray and set aside.
Plce butter and eschalots into TM bowl and chop for 5 sec on speed 5.
Scrape down sides and saute for 4 min, varoma temp on speed 2.
Add brandy, wine, mustard and stock. Put varoma in place and cook for 15 min, varoma temp, speed 3.
Check that chicken is cooked and slice breasts in half across the grain. Cook for a further 3-5 min inf necessary, but remove vegies and place in warming dish.
Place chicken in to thermoserver and add cream and cornflour to TM bowl. Blend for 5 sec on speed 7.
Cook for 2 min at temp 90 on speed 3.
Pour over chicken, adjust seasoning and sprinkle with chives.
Serve with vegies and mashed potato or rice.

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

When I made this I also cooked some potato in the strainer at the same time and sliced the chicken in to strips so it didnt increase the cooking time by too much. In the end it needed an extra 5 min but was a good thing as it reduced the potency of the brandy and made it delicious.

Other suggestions.

1. Instead of white wine I used verjuice.

2. I used a pack of 3 chicken steaks from Foodland so they were a lot thinner than chicken fillets.  Cooked them 15 minutes, placed in the thermosaver with the snow peas that had been cooking in the varoma tray and continued cooking the carrot and pumpkin in the steaming basket & the cauliflower in the varoma tray. Need another 10 minutes cooking before I made the delicious sauce.  Have enough sauce leftover to accompany another dish. I reheated some mashed potato from yesterday in the microwave.

members' comments

marmee - Oh yum!  Thank you so much for sharing!

JD - This was delicious - thanks so much for posting the recipe. I used a pack of 3 chicken steaks from Foodland so they were a lot thinner than chicken fillets.  Cooked them 15 minutes, placed in the thermosaver with the snow peas that had been cooking in the varoma tray and continued cooking the carrot and pumpkin in the steaming basket & the cauliflower in the varoma tray. Need another 10 minutes cooking before I made the delicious sauce.  Have enough sauce leftover to accompany another dish. I reheated some mashed potato from yesterday in the microwave.  Yum!

cookie -  it is lovely. I cut up some potatoes and put them in the basket and we had beans, carrot and asparagus in the varoma with the chicken. We really enjoyed it and DH even said this would be a lovely recipe for caravan travelling. Instead of white wine I used verjuice as I didn't have any wine opened and didn't want to open one especially.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:50:48 am by judydawn »
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mustard brandy chicken from NEW GF cookbook
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:27:30 am »
Thanks Sheree, sounds delicious.  My kind of food and I have heaps of brandy in the cupboard. Another one-pot meal for those looking for them to simplify mealtimes.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:29:39 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:34:36 am »
Oh yum!  Thank you so much for sharing!
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:45:22 am »
Thanks Sheree - sounds great- finger licking good.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:39 am »
Thanks Sheree, this is going on this weeks menu.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:08 am »
a new GF book?
that really annoys me. why would i buy a whole new book for just a few recipes? but why should i have to go without just because i bought last year not this year? if they're going to do new recipes why can't they do a whole new book so it's worth buying????!!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:52:55 am »
Very true Brazen.  They would be much better to save the recipes up and make a 2nd book.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 12:32:38 pm »
Yes it is extremely annoying as i didnt even know that they had changed and have sold my older copies so now cant even compare the two to see what is different!!
I cant understand why they would completely remove or add new recipes to an existing cookbook anyway - why not just tweak the current recipes and save the new ones for the new cookbooks.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »
Don't get tooooo upset.  MrsT bought my TMX and they sent it with the old style Varoma when they had been rolling out the new varoma for 3 months in Europe - so I had to pay $180 or half price if I had a demo to get the new model - if I'd waited another 2 months then I would have gotten the new one !!!!

But maybe there could be an update available online for the "new" additions?? - need to talk to the powers that be.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 08:36:06 am »
We had this for tea tonight riv_mum and it was delicious - thanks so much for posting the recipe. I used a pack of 3 chicken steaks from Foodland so they were a lot thinner than chicken fillets.  Cooked them 15 minutes, placed in the thermosaver with the snow peas that had been cooking in the varoma tray and continued cooking the carrot and pumpkin in the steaming basket & the cauliflower in the varoma tray. Need another 10 minutes cooking before I made the delicious sauce.  Have enough sauce leftover to accompany another dish. I reheated some mashed potato from yesterday in the microwave.  Yum!  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:06:46 am »
We had this last night and as everyone has said it is lovely. I cut up some potatoes and put them in the basket and we had beans, carrot and asparagus in the varoma with the chicken. WE really enjoyed it and DH even said this would be a lovely recipe for caravan travelling. Instead of white wine I used verjuice as I didn't have any wine opened and didn't want to open one especially.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/