Author Topic: Gluten free brands  (Read 2984 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Gluten free brands
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
My DH has recently found he may have to go gluten and diary free to see what is causing his various ailments. My experience with different brands of gluten free pasta is singularly negative. The pasta sticks together and is just claggy.

Any good brand recommendations for gluten free products such as pasta?

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
Re: Gluten free brands
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:53:51 am »
Casalare gluten free and wheat free macaroni twists. I got the box from IGA.
I cooked it for someone who doesn't eat gluten and she declared it the best gluten-free pasta she had ever had. It tasted ok to me and it didn't stick together.

Good luck with your search.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:40 am »
San Remo is good. You will have to get used to cooking it a bit less to usual pasta, a bit of trial and error is necessary. Thier gluten free lasagne sheets are the best, in favt I bought some just today! They are usually in the regular pasta section of the shop,  not the health food section.
GF weetbix are excellent too.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
Thank you! Will try these brands.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
Try quinoa pasta as well if you find it. I buy organic quinoa pasta from Kunara Organics at Forrest Glenn and its very good.

The GF pasta overcooks very quickly and becomes a gluey mess if not watched carefully. It needs a lot less time then normal pasta to cook. I often 'cook' it by putting one cup in the thermo server and cover with boiling water. Put lid on and usually start checking at 4 mins to see how if is. Last lot was cooked at 6 mins.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:35 pm »
why not look in  Quirky Jo's book as well.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url