Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9027286 times)

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #1530 on: September 15, 2009, 03:36:30 am »
FIRST TRY...Beef Stroganoff
I'm very pleased that I managed to make Vegetable Stock Concentrate on the weekend (no salt and frozen in ice cube trays) and Beef Stroganoff tonight!  I checked to make sure the meat was done when time was up, but didn't notice how thin the sauce was even though it was kept warm in the mixing bowl for 20 minutes before serving.  Next time I'll use less liquid and less cayenne.  Any other suggestions?  I appreciate this forum so much!! 

A little cornflour mixed in some water or milk and stirred into things will thicken sauces etc.  Having said that, I'm not sure that US cornflour and Aus cornflour are the same thing. ???
I have also seen Italian chefs mix some plain flour with a little olive oil to make a paste to thicken dishes, too.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:27 am »
I converted a broccoli soup recipe that I haven't made before and I am pleased with how it turned out.  I think with more tweaking it will be even better, but not bad for a first time. I think because it pretty much filled the bowl up which then didn't give me a lot of room in which to whizz properly without it flicking out the lid was the problem, but it still tasted very nice, I'd just like to try and get it really smooth if I can.  Next time I'll halve the recipe and see how I go.

Also made some dinner rolls to serve with it.  Usually make the dough in my breadmaker for these but did it in the TM and am quite pleased with how they turned out.  They were a little bit heavier if that's the word than when made in the BM, but again with a little bit of tweaking I'm sure I'll get it right.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 15, 2009, 01:40:20 pm »
The soup looks amazing in the Old Country Roses and what do you glaze your rolls with JulieO - they have such a lovely shine to them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 15, 2009, 02:38:44 pm »
Thanks Judy, the glaze is just an egg and a little bit of water whisked together and then brushed on before baking.  ;D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:41 am »
Thanks Judy, the glaze is just an egg and a little bit of water whisked together and then brushed on before baking.  ;D
Thanks for that tip Julie....ps can I come and eat dinner at your house  ;D ;) :-*
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 16, 2009, 03:26:12 am »
Yesterday DH made his famous/infamous rice custard and I made some cracker biscuits-which have all gone now!!!!!
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 16, 2009, 05:24:37 am »
JulieO you even make broccoli soup look divine!  :D And the bread rolls *drool*

Argh I'm living vicariously through this forum until my TM arrives!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 16, 2009, 10:21:28 am »
OMG I have just put my first Torta Caprese in the oven. I licked the spatula and I WILL have to taste this before DD takes it to work tomorrow. I only put the 150g sugar and butter in and it still tasted divine. I see what you meant when you said you put on 5 kg with it Kathryn. Now I have to resist the temptation to make it again. :P

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #1538 on: September 16, 2009, 10:31:58 am »
hmmm maybe i will make the torte caprese tonight after we finish making dinner.... i'm supposed to be heading back to weightwatchers in the next few days so better get in while i can lOl
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 16, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »

Thanks for that tip Julie....ps can I come and eat dinner at your house  ;D ;) :-*

Of course you can Meagan.   :D

Thankyou Green    ;D

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: September 16, 2009, 04:03:49 pm »

Of course you can Meagan.   :D

Great  ;)

Well I made several batches of butter (my first time) tonight with the cheap cream I bought yesterday :) and porridge - which is an every morning event, but DH made it (I finally got around to giving him a lesson and now he uses it every morning ;D........the next step is getting him onto dinners in the TMX ;))
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 17, 2009, 01:32:04 am »
Porridge is a start Meagan, don't teach him too much - he might take over the machine  ;D ;D ;D  I think it's great when the guys will help out in the kitchen and breakfast time would obviously be a very busy time with youngsters around so all the help you can get would certainly be appreciated.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: September 17, 2009, 02:42:02 am »
I was very impressed with the Torta Caprese. I had a tiny bit last night before it went off to DD work this morning.  So easy to make and so tasty..............and so full of calories. I guess the almonds are good for you though.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 17, 2009, 08:27:32 am »
Today I have made a fish pie with potato topping (UK EDC), Varoma steamed bread which has been sliced and packed into the freezer for breakfast toasting and CP63's Fruit & Nut Slice which smells divine.  Only thing left to do for the day will be to steam the vegies to go with the pie for tea.  Can't wait for the slice to cool down either so that I can have a taste. Will review the recipe once I've done that.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:26 am »
Can't wait to hear JD what you think about the slice  ;) You have been very busy in the kitchen, I feel envious having to sit here behind my desk.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand