Author Topic: Beef Enchiladas  (Read 105120 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Beef Enchiladas
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:43:56 pm »
BEEF ENCHILADAS - Serves 4
2 tblsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, cut into quarters
1 long green chilli, cut into chunks
1 green capsicum, seeds removed and cut into chunks             
2 tsp ground cumin  
¼ tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
½ tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 ½  tsp sugar
1 x 700g bottle passata (pureed tomatoes)
1 tblsp olive oil, extra
500g premium beef mince
8 flour tortillas (or make your own) - recipe below
150g tasty cheese, cubed      
Sour cream &coriander or cont parsley to serve

If making your own tortillas, make them first and put aside until needed.

Place cheese into TM bowl.  Grate 5 secs/speed 8.  Remove from the bowl and put aside.

Place oil, onion, garlic, capsicum and chilli in TM bowl, and chop for 5 secs/speed 5.
Sauté for 10 mins/100°C/speed 2..MC off.  Scrape down sides.
Add spices and cook further 3 mins/90°C/speed 1.5, MC off.
Add salt, sugar and passata,  cook 9 mins/100°C/speed 1. MC off.   You’ll need to turn up to speed 3 for a few seconds to get going, then turn back down to speed 1.     Remove from bowl, no need to clean TM bowl.

Add extra 1 tbsp oil to bowl, sauté for 3 mins/100°C/speed 1. MC off
Add mince and cook for 5 mins/V Temp/Reverse + speed spoon to speed 1. May need to initially have on speed 2 + reverse, to break up lumps in mince, then turn down to spoon or 1.   MC off.
Add ¾ of enchilada sauce, stir  30 secs/Reverse + speed 2 ½.   MC off.  Preheat oven 180°C.

Divide mince mixture among the tortillas, placing it neatly in the centre. Roll tortillas up from one side to enclose the filling. Place in 20cm x 30cm approx.  ovenproof dish seam side down.
Spoon remaining tomato sauce over enchiladas and top with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes until heated through and cheese is melted and browned.  Serve with sour cream and coriander/parsley.

I made my own tortillas using this recipe by Trudy Olive.

320g plain flour
1teaspn salt
3 tblspns olive oil
1 tspn baking powder
180g warm water
Place everything into the bowl.
Mix 10 seconds on speed 7 to combine.
Set to locked position and knead for 3 mins.
Put dough onto bread mat and rest 5-10 mins.
Divide dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a flat round.
Fry in an oiled hot frying pan until they start to brown.  Turn them over and cook the other side.
OK to freeze.
Also great for making tortilla chips in the oven with any leftovers.

members' comments

JD - These were lovely - perfect recipe, tasty but not too spicy for the younger members of the family. Made the filling the day beforehand which made them so easy to assemble on the day. Thanks for sharing this with us.

CP - this was divine - not only in comparison to the bought stuff - but in flavour. The green chilli, capsicum and spice mix really enhanced the mince. Very easy to make and looked so delicious when I pulled them out of the oven that I didn't have time to add the sour cream -- too much salivating.

Thermie007 - we loved this slavered with sour cream.

Chelsea - we loved them.  Thanks for the wonderful recipe Julie. I made my own tortillas using the recipe from Quirky Jo's blog and they were lovely. When I did my monthly shopping at the supermarket I picked up a packet of tortillas to check the ingredients and counted 9 preservatives/additives listed. Now I know that they are so easy and cheap to make (and tasty) I won't be buying them again.

jworth - What an awesome recipe!!

cathy79 - These were fantastic.  The flavours were really fresh and delicious.  At first glance, the recipe looks a little overwhelmin but it's actually very straight forward.  I guess it's the list of ingredients.  But I had everything in the cupboard.  Used half the chilli and didn't put in the chilli powder and was perfect for the kids (and me). I even made my own tortillas.  That was a little fiddly and looked a little dodgy compared to bought but once they were rolled up and baked in the oven, no one would know their original strange shape.
Next time, I'll add extra vegies to this recipe.

Caroline J -  IT'S DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for the recipe, JulieO, this will be a regular in our house now. DH was complimenting me (you) with every mouthful. I might try and squeeze a few more vegies in next time for the kidlets.

Berry - this was the first 'meal' that I made and we were thoroughly impressed, it was absolutely delicious! I think that the home-made tortillas made all the difference and am going to invest in a tortilla press.

theweewelshone - Well although the enchiladas were hard to roll due to the liquidy-ness they ended up tasting great and the kids devoured them and even asked for seconds Smiley The tortillas soaked up some of the sauce whilst cooking so it looked fine in the end.
Next time I make them I'll add the enchilada sauce bit by bit so I can still roll them up.
The addition of kidney beans was nice and the kids ate those no worries. I added the kidney beans a few minutes after the mince was put in as I liked my beans softened by some cooking. As they were put in during the reverse + 1 stage they remained whole so if you don't like whole beans - or want to hide them from the kids - then chop them before doing the mince stage.

maddy - Absolutely scrumptious Julie! Kids cleaned their plates too.  We really enjoyed the flavours. Nothing more satisfying than making your own tortilla's. I didn't have passata sauce, so I used 2 tins diced tomatoes (roughly drained) and just mixed it longer on speed 3 with mince. I bag my mince in 600g lots, so with the extra meat mix that didn't fit in tortilla's, I added it in with the salsa for the topping.

hopefulcook -  I called it "Mexican Lasagne" to convince the sceptical small people. It was a hit! I prepped the meat in TMX but then cooked on the stove (I don't like mince cooked in TM), then gave a quick rinse and made a 'taco sauce' for the top which I got from an old Mexican cookbook (one of those small hard cover cook books). It was excellent:
1) Put 1 tbs EVO, 1 onion, 3 cloves garlic (and chilli but I left this out for kids), give a quick blitz then saute for 3 min 100 degrees, speed 1.
2) Add 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp brown sugar saute for 1 min 100 degrees, speed 1.
3) Add 400g tin tomatoes, juice 1/2 lemon, cook for 15 min, reverse, speed 1, 100 degrees.
Use this instead of Passata. I only put on the top, did not bother in the tortilla.
Also had no sour cream so I used yogurt and it was fine/good.
As this was such a success I am determined to try and make my own tortillas next time.

Chelsea - I made these tonight with chicken and they were heavenly. I followed JulieO's directions up to where the passata is added and it is cooked for 9 minutes.  I then transferred a third of the sauce into a jug (for the topping) and added 500g of diced chicken thighs to the remainder of the sauce in the TM.  I cooked that for 6 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1 and then proceeded on with the recipe (making up the enchiladas and baking them etc).  I think we loved the chicken even more than the beef and it was cooked to perfection.  Such a yummy recipe Julie.

Denzelmum - my tweak for vegetarian version - using Sanitarium Casserole Mince, a handful of sliced mushroom, 125g canned corn and 125g canned red kidney bean.  Yum...

KerrynN - they were FANTASTIC!!! Who would go to a restaurant when you can make this at home??? Thanks for the recipe! Will be a definite repeat.

thermo 18 - Just love this dish with either beef or chicken.

spektor - Ultra delicious!!!! Thumbs up all around. I made my own wraps as well. I'm amazed at what I am actually attempting to do!
I had quite a bit of meat left over (as my wraps dwindled in number due to DS1 eating some of them). Froze the leftover mixture and will use it a sort of nacho style dish.

Bubbles - Thanks JulieO for such a fantastic recipe! They were so delicious,and so easy to make! Mexican is DH favourite meal, so he has requested them weekly! Yum Yum !!

Kimmyh - Thank you for such a great recipe. They are yummy and easy to make. The homemade tortillas are so fun to make yourself and they turned out great.  So no more bought ones in our house now. Thank you and thanks thermomix. Yet another item deleted from the shopping list. Woohoo!

Katiej - My DH cooked this for dinner tonight.  It was lovely and he was very delighted with it. He is already talking about about what he'll do when he makes it again (wonder if I can get him to make the tortilla's himself next time??) Thanks for the great recipe JulieO.

ES - it was delicious.

buzzbee - This is a very popular and oft-requested dinner option in our house. It makes a lot - enough for lunch the next day, which is handy.

flavourofthemonth - it was fabulous. One of my family's favourite TMX meals.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:34:50 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Enchiladas
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:16:00 pm »
Brilliant JulieO, well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:47 pm »
Great work - not sure what happened to your pic?  I know something happened to one of mine???

It would be great to have a tortilla recipe on here.  There are some out there - but don't think there are any here.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 02:52:25 pm »
I also have Trudy olives tortilla recipes so it must have appeared somewhere on here.  It is hand written though which would suggest it wasn't put in the recipe section. My exercise book comes in handy for jotting down things like this that I just know I won't be able to find when I need them.
I am going to use this recipe to make some nachos for Fathers' Day lunch - the grandies won't miss the beans as they don't like them anyway. I'll use the tortillas to make the 'corn chips'. Thanks JulieO, that's one dish down on paper, now to find a few more.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:02:50 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:27:10 pm »
Excellent, the tortilla recipe was from the  Budget Busters Round.  thanks Thermomixer. 

Have put photo back on the post, I must have deleted it by mistake.  :-[

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:55:22 pm »
mmm yum!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:37:33 am »
Thanks Julie O these look beautiful and your picture looks like it came out of a cook book!  :) I'm with you JD these have been ear-marked for Fathers Day lunch - might even have a go at making tortillas if I'm game.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 03:01:36 am »
Thankyou everyone  :)  I've usually made these the 'old' way (stove top) but when we had these last night they were much nicer than previously.  Maybe it was the home made tortillas, I don't know, but we really enjoyed the meal.
Not a very spicy dish either, though you could up the amounts of some of the spices that are in it, but we liked this version.

I'm still getting the hang of converting recipes, this is only the second one I've done, so some of the times could probably be tinkered with, but following this, mine came out good.  :)

Julie.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:07:29 am »

I'm still getting the hang of converting recipes, this is only the second one I've done, so some of the times could probably be tinkered with, but following this, mine came out good.  :)

Don't worry - I find that the times vary for me almost every time  :-))  Cooked the paella two nights running and the second night it took an extra 10 minutes to cook the rice ??
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:33 am »
This looks lovely.  I have it and the potato foccacia recipe printed out ready to try.  Thank you for sharing these recipes.
Chelsea  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
These were lovely JulieO - perfect recipe, tasty but not too spicy for the younger members of the family. Next time I do them I won't have to share them with visitors and can put a couple of meals away in the freezer before they are baked. Made the filling the day beforehand which made them so easy to assemble on the day. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 03:11:08 pm »
You're quite welcome Judy, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Beef Enchiladas - With photo
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 04:39:57 am »
Made these last night. We rarely have Mexican food, and in the past have usually bought the supermarket pack with the sauce powder etc.... Well, this was divine - not only in comparison to the bought stuff - but in flavour. The green chilli and capsicum, and spice mix really enhanced the mince. Very easy to make, and looked so delicious when I pulled them out of the oven that I didn't have time to add the sour cream -- too much salivatating  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Beef Enchiladas - With photo
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:42 am »
Thankyou for reviewing CP, I'm chuffed you liked them  ;D