Author Topic: LIGHT ICE-CREAM adapted from isi's Light Coffee Cream dessert.  (Read 11769 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
LIGHT ICE-CREAM adapted from isi's Light Coffee Cream dessert.
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:06:38 am »
Name of Recipe:Basic Light Vanilla Ice-Cream - variations listed below
Number of People: 4-6 serves
Ingredients:
500g milk (skim is fine)
15g cornflour
2 eggs
60g sugar
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspn vanilla paste.
140g cream

Place all the ingredients except the cream into the TMX and mix 15 seconds on speed 4.
Cook 9 minutes on 90o on speed 3.
Add the cream and mix 15 seconds on speed 4.
Place the mixture (it is still very liquidy) into a container and when cool place into the freezer until set - 5-6 hours.

Variations -
Chocolate.  Grate 70g dark cooking chocolate in the TMX, leave it there then commence the recipe, omitting the vanilla.
Coffee - Add 1 tablespoon instant coffee with the cream and omit the vanilla.
Fruit - Make a coulis with raspberries, strawberries or any other fruit and fold this through wen the mixture has firmed up enough to do do so. I'd leave the vanilla in for this one.
Any other additions, like chopped up chocolate bars should be added once the mixture is starting to firm up otherwise it will all sink to the bottom.

I took the 500ml container out of the freezer and put it into the fridge around 2 hours before I needed it for visitors and was then able to scoop out serves into ice-cream cones quite easily. I made the vanilla version of this ice-cream (without using an ice-cream maker) and it is a lot icier than the chocolate version. Next time I will add some white chocolate with the vanilla so that I can get the same texture as the chocolate one.

Members' comments
cathy79 - I just whipped up a double batch, and then realised I only had enough cream for a single batch.  What to do???
So I added a tin of sweetened condensed milk.   Hmmm, that tastes pretty good, even warm.  Poured half into a dish to freeze.
Second batch?  What to try?  20g Cocoa - that should work.  Well if hot ice-cream mixture is anything to go by, I think it'll be pretty good.
Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow night to try it.  Maybe I'll even try a little in the morning.
Update - Both were very nice, chocolate a clear winner, but that's no surprise.
As it is a lot lower fat than using all cream, it is more "icy" and less "creamy" than a pure cream ice-cream, but that's to be expected.  Still very nice.  Will have to try blitzing it again when half frozen next time I make it.
Isi yours looks very creamy - I guess that's the beauty of the ice-cream maker.

isi - I've done and it was delicious !!!!!!!
I made the recipe but with Vanilla Base - I put it in ice-cream forms for the kids.
Then I made another and put it throughout the day to cool off in the fridge and before dinner put in ice cream maker.
After about 45 minutes it was so thick that the machine has stopped! I put in a Tupperware and serve as dessert after dinner with a few Chocolate volcanoes (recipe Nigella Bites) warm ...... mhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks for the idea - LOVED IT!
Then I will do my basic Coffee version.

JulieO - I made the vanilla version with swirls of raspberry coulis through it and I really liked it.  The tart of the coulis was perfect running through it.  Like Cathy says, it's not as creamy as ones I've made with more cream and eggs, but for a lower fat version it is still very nice.  I did use my ice-cream maker to churn. I will be trying the other flavours.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:53:23 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: LIGHT ICE-CREAM adapted from isi's Light Coffee Cream dessert.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:33:54 am »
Judy this is great, thankyou.  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:33:57 am »
It's certainly icecream weather here. It looks good, especially with all the variations.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:24:51 am »
I loved the idea!! :)
I will do now so that this afternoon it is cold enough to put into the cream machine!
Soon I tell you my results ;)
isi

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:09:19 pm »
I just whipped up a double batch, and then realised I only had enough cream for a single batch.  What to do???

So I added a tin of sweetened condensed milk.   Hmmm, that tastes pretty good, even warm.  Poured half into a dish to freeze.

Second batch?  What to try?  20g Cocoa - that should work.  Well if hot icecream mixture is anything to go by, I think it'll be pretty good.

Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow night to try it.  Maybe I'll even try a little in the morning.

Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:56:26 pm »
Hello!
I've done and it was delicious !!!!!!!

I made the recipe but with Vanilla Base - I put it in ice cream forms for the kids ;)(they sleep in the Freezer - the forms not the kids :D)
Then I made another and put it throughout the day to cool off in the Fridge and before dinner put on ice cream makers!
After about 45 minutes it was so thick that the machine has stopped! :-))
I put in a Tupperware and serve as desert  after dinner with a few Chocolate volcanoes (recipe Nigella Bites) warm ...... mhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks for the idea - LOVED IT!
Then I will do my basic Coffee version, and, and, and ,.........

look like it was thick and creamy

super :) :) :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 02:20:19 am »
Icecream for breakfast, Judy you are my kind of gal.

Isi, that looks lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:30:34 am »
Great work JD & Isi - like the idea - had a friend over for a demo last night - this would really appeal to them
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:22 pm »
I'd like to acknowledge Cathy79 here as she was the one who first raised the point of using this as a basis for ice-cream - I just happened to be the first one who tried it.  Teamwork - gotta love it.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »
Reporting back from trying both my flavour experiments this evening with DH.  Both were very nice, chocolate a clear winner, but that's no surprise.

As it is a lot lower fat than using all cream, it is more "icy" and less "creamy" than a pure cream icecream, but that's to be expected.  Still very nice.  Will have to try blitzing it again when half frozen next time I make it.

Isi yours looks very creamy - I guess that's the beauty of the ice-cream maker.

And thanks for the acknowledgement Judy.  But you put in the hard work.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 12:13:30 pm »
I had the DIL & 3 grandchildren to lunch today and wanted to serve them some of this along with other desserts I had made.  I took the 500ml container out of the freezer and put it into the fridge around 2 hours before I needed it and was then able to scoop out serves into ice-cream cones quite easily.  The children were very impressed with it and the 'did you make this?' was proudly answered by grandpa with a 'grandma made everything you have eaten today' including isi's rolls.  I told them all about isi.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »
I forgot to say that I made the vanilla version with swirls of raspberry coulis through it a couple of days ago and I really liked it.  The tart of the coulis was perfect running through it.  Like Cathy says, it's not as creamy as ones I've made with more cream and eggs, but for a lower fat version it is still very nice.  I did use my ice cream maker to churn. I will be trying the other flavours. Thanks Judy, isi and Cathy for coming up with this.  ;D

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »
judy,
found so funny:  "I told them all about isi." :D :D :D

I hope not to disappoint them in other recipes that will put here ...
Best regards

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 01:05:23 pm »
I made the vanilla version of this ice-cream (without using an ice-cream maker) and it is a lot icier than the chocolate version. Next time I will add some white chocolate with the vanilla so that I can get the same texture as the chocolate one.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:34:34 am »
Bumping ... Although its so cold right now I'm craving ice cream ... ; D