Author Topic: Bimby Chocolate Cake  (Read 347879 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Bimby Chocolate Cake
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2011, 02:51:33 am »
Gorgeous pirate ships girls!  8)
Kids just love these whimsical cakes....and I really think they're worth the effort.
I haven't seen many at parties recently  ???  Maybe all the Mums are too busy to bake these days.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:50 am »
I heard a Mum say recently at a party "why would you bother making a birthday cake when woolworths sell them now".  :-)) :-)) :-))

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:03 am »
I heard a Mum say recently at a party "why would you bother making a birthday cake when woolworths sell them now".  :-)) :-)) :-))

This society is becoming so busy now that people opt for the quick easy way. I must admit that for the last few years I haven't made the birthday cakes either. I re-found my love of cake making since the TM arrived in my life. I am far from an expert when decorating but that really doesn't matter when it comes to kids. They just love having a homemade and decorated cake. Its so much more personal I think.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »
They just love having a homemade and decorated cake. Its so much more personal I think.

Absolutely!
I always kept the cake a surprise until the morning of their Birthday.  It was like an extra little present.
Even if it's just toys poked into some icing, it's still fun for them.
Now they are wanting cupcakes or cake pops, more than the cake.    Either way, they appreciate that Mum has made them.

My Mum recently gave me a box containing all the old figurines, cake toppers, ruffled banners that wrapped around the cake, and the original candles since I was a child!  It was great seeing these again, and certainly brought back good memories  8)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2011, 12:11:38 pm »
So that's where you got your talent gene from Maddy - dear old Mum  ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2011, 12:21:11 pm »
what a wonderful and thoughtful gift for you Maddy. Dede that pirate cake was sensational, I'd like to slice abit off with my cutlass  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »
So that's where you got your talent gene from Maddy - dear old Mum  ;) ;)

LOL Judy.....she only made 1 cake per year (2 when my Brother came along)....and that was the Birthday one  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:36 pm »
Im definately with maddy..cakes are so much better homemade especially for bdays etc...my mum did it for us and I do it for my kids and they love it (think it makes them feel special too)...in a few weeks I will be doing a spiderman cake and spiderman cupcakes for DS then a week later probably a hello kitty cake this year for DD..she is a bit obsessed with hello kitty and princesses lol!  Saying that though I am very lucky to have the time to be able to bake for them..I know mothers that live off fast and easy quick foods either fresh or frozen...(blerk!) and no amount of talking convinces them otherwise!  I think the answer to why bother depends on the person..some find it a hassle to cook anything but I absolutely love the idea and very much enjoy cooking and making and decoratingcakes, cupcakes and the like and oh so much more lol!  Dont do it anywhere near as much as maddy though, the cake decorating queen lol...for me its school stands, birthday parties and for friends now and then!!  :)  Dont know what you do for a job maddy or if your a stay at home mum but you should seriously get into cupcake catering lol!  ;D
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:43 am »
Birthday cakes and their preparation bring back a flood of memories for me - as DD and I were icing thomas the tank last week end we were discussing the remember my ..... birthday cake. Unlike Maddy our three girls chose the cake they wanted each year (often through gritted teeth I would agree to the piano, the sweet shop, fairy castle, mickey mouse etc, etc), so there were no surprises for them.  There was only one exception, we lost Mum very unexpectedly 2 days before middle DD'S 6th birthday, as sleep was impossible between the mayhem and shock, the night prior to her birthday I sat up making and icing her cake (I remember telling DH I wanted some moments of normality for her birthday!!!!!!)  I still find it quite emotional to look back at the pics from that b'day.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:53:54 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #279 on: July 16, 2011, 06:13:30 am »
There was only one exception, we lost Mum very unexpectedly 2 days before middle DD'S 6th birthday, as sleep was impossible between the mayhem and shock, the night prior to her birthday I sat up making and icing her cake (I remember telling DH I wanted some moments of normality for her birthday!!!!!!)  I still find it quite emotional to look back at the pics from that b'day.  :'(

:'( That would of been a difficult thing to have to deal with while putting on a happy face for your DD.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 16, 2011, 10:30:56 am »
Birthday cakes and their preparation bring back a flood of memories for me - as DD and I were icing thomas the tank last week end we were discussing the remember my ..... birthday cake. Unlike Maddy our three girls chose the cake they wanted each year (often through gritted teeth I would agree to the piano, the sweet shop, fairy castle, mickey mouse etc, etc), so there were no surprises for them.  There was only one exception, we lost Mum very unexpectedly 2 days before middle DD'S 6th birthday, as sleep was impossible between the mayhem and shock, the night prior to her birthday I sat up making and icing her cake (I remember telling DH I wanted some moments of normality for her birthday!!!!!!)  I still find it quite emotional to look back at the pics from that b'day.  :'(

oh robyn that is so sad :( such a wonderful mum though to drive through it all to give your daughter some normality on her bday..how strong are you!!...i hope she appreciated the gesture  :)

that is the traditional in our family too..ie no surprises and the kids choose their cake every year and its catching as some of my french girlfrends are doing it for their kids now lol!!..;mum always did it with us and i always do it with the kids..previously it has been out of hte woman weekly bday cookbooks (i havea  few of them..one is as old as me lol) but his year its designs on the internet lol eekkk!  I love every minute of it and for me makes the bday..;great memories!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:00:17 pm by Frozzie »

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 16, 2011, 11:31:31 am »
Dear Frozzie there is nothing strong about me (but thank you anyway) - we all do what we need to do for children don't you agree?  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:45 am »
Oh Robyn  :'(  so sorry....and I think your just fabulous for making that very cake.  Your Mum would have been so proud I'm sure  :)

Frozzie.....you make me laugh  :D
One would think I have too much spare time re: the cupcake stuff  :P
I am a "Queen of the Castle", until I feel comfortable enough for the kids to come home alone......which probably won't happen, as we live rural, and I am the only mode of transport!  We do have our own business, so my job is the paperwork.
As for the cupcake shop.....I dream of having one some day......I have a killer name picked out for it, it's already decorated in my head......just got to wait for a money tree to grow first though  :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:54:51 am by maddy »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:29 pm »
Dear Frozzie there is nothing strong about me (but thank you anyway) - we all do what we need to do for children don't you agree?  :)  :)

all do no..alot of us yes..but robyn its still very strong what you did even if what drove you was for your kids...you shouldnt downplay your strength....im sure your alot stronger than you think  :) :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 16, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »
maddy  ;D

can totally understand that....kids are after all our number one priority...so hat off to you for that and as for your cupcake dream all 'ready to go' im sure it will happen soon enough...and you will rock at it!! Just think in the mean time all the more time to perfect your skills and discover new ones  :) :) :)