Author Topic: Bimby Chocolate Cake  (Read 347879 times)

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
Re: Bimby Chocolate Cake
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:26 pm »
Many thanks my family did not really like the EDC choc cake.

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2011, 06:00:18 am »
just to be the downer here, mine's not working :(

i think i made it a few weeks ago and it was great (TBH i cant remember if i did this or the EDC one in the end..)

but today did 2 batches and all failed

first lot fair enough - i poured in too much sugar so adjusted the rest of the ingreds and ended up with almost double the quantity so i thought maybe my calcs were a bit off for proportions..but this one I just made is almost the same, just more completely risen. texture feels almost rubbery rather than light cakelike. most of the butter i used was homemade from cream a  few minutes before, and i used the buttermilk as part of the milk, topping up with full fat (would A2 low fat work??). Just thinking - when making the butter from EDc, stage 2 where you add water then strain again I strained the liquid into the earlier thicker buttermilk - not sure if you're supposed to do that or throw it out as it is pretty watery. Could that be why??

I'm using fan oven so did it 140-145 instead of 160

any thoughts?

I'm practising for my daughters 3rd birthday on australia day - these at least give me a chance to test rolling out icing without eating the lot! But i do want to get it right next time..and the next and the next and the next..

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2011, 08:51:49 am »
Only keep the first straining - that's the buttermilk. Discard all subsequent strainings - that's just water (with a tiny bit of buttermilk in it). Baking is the one cooking disipline where you need to be precise in your quantities, so take care in your measuring. Happy Birthday to the little one and have fun.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:22 pm »
What a shame!! I bake it at 160 in a fan force oven. Maybe up the temp and that'll work better....
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #214 on: January 11, 2011, 10:44:30 pm »
Perhaps you should change the temp in the recipe ILB.  It just says 160 degrees.  Should it be 180 degrees or 160 fan forced??  :)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2011, 05:39:57 am »
I use 160fan forced, whether it is in a slice tin or a cake tin, the slice/slab tin takes about 45 mins the cake tin round or square takes just over and hour. I have never used buttermilk only milk. I have never had a flop with is one. Good luck with the trials.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline ladybird

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:49 am »
aah, so you are using fan forced and 160? I assumed i needed to adjust down. that could make a big difference..

though i also tried the edc today and very similar results. wondering if it is either the all in one process (ok i forgot with the edc one and started adding other ingreds first before the butter so that ended up all in one too!) or i might need to check my baking powder - it was all fine a few weeks ago but maybe that is the issue?

Might try to cream butter and sugar together first next time (thoughts as to how long/speed appreciated!) and then add the rest - and try the higher temp too..

Got to get this right, 4 cakes down now, none are good enough for the birthday

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2011, 03:36:05 am »
DD made this skateboard birthday cake recently using this recipe. We made 2 cakes as it was life size, and used donuts for wheels and a couple of those wafer things you buy in the tins to join the wheels up.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2011, 04:21:53 am »
What a clever idea.  It looks great!  :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2011, 10:10:06 am »
Congratulations to your DD for making a fabulous cake CP63.I made this cake again but decided to make it into a marble cake.I mixed up all the ingredients without the cocoa first,dumped half the mixture into a Bundt cake tin,then added 20g of cocoa to the rest of the mixture in the TM bowl..Then mixed for a few seconds to incorporate the cocoa and then dumped that on top of the vanilla mixture.I swirled the mixture with a toothpick and baked it for 60minutes.It must be good,DH and DS have eaten half of it already and I only made it yesterday.   :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2011, 11:04:11 am »
Clever DD CP63 - take after Mum ?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2011, 06:59:55 am »
Great cake.  CC what a brilliant idea, I'll do that next time. I usually put it into 3 bowls.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2011, 01:00:29 am »
Perhaps you should change the temp in the recipe ILB.  It just says 160 degrees.  Should it be 180 degrees or 160 fan forced??  :)

Fixed  ;) :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2011, 05:02:09 am »
ILB, I also make this using the traditional cream butter and sugar first method. The only time it failed was when I doubled the recipe.
If I need a large cake, I make two and join them.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:50 pm »
Made this again lol this time t softened and mixed the butter first and it really improved the texture