Author Topic: adverts  (Read 9093 times)

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
adverts
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:35:13 pm »
please can I ask why there is a need to have some of the 'inappropriate' and 'suggestive' graphics in the adverts which run on the right hand side of the home page?
Is it me or do other people find them a) tasteless and b) inappropriately suggestive?
Sorry forum moderators but I really do!
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: adverts
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:15:53 pm »
I can't comment on them as I use ad blockers on safari on my mac and when I was on a PC I used firefox and had the adblocker on that too. I use them as I find the pages do load quicker and you are not subjected to inappropriate content. Could be something to look at.

I am not sure how the ads are sought or placed just know they need to be there in order for us to access this forum for free... someone has to pay for it I guess  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:44:15 pm »
I block pop ups but these are ads by google. How do you block those in safari?  I know its the way in which the forum is 'free' but subjected to images which are verging on high suggestive and scantily clad women... is that what TM is all about? ;)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 04:27:58 pm »
I suspect google is picking up something in the content of the messages and making erroneous links - maybe even a username could trigger that.    I never look at the ads - am always glued to the content of the messages  :)

I am sure it's completely out of control of the moderators of the forum but I suggest you send a PM to Master Moderator as it seems to be affecting you so much.   

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:37:32 pm »
I block pop ups but these are ads by google. How do you block those in safari?  I know its the way in which the forum is 'free' but subjected to images which are verging on high suggestive and scantily clad women... is that what TM is all about? ;)

there is an add on for safari - was the first thing i had to find as I had been so used to for ages looking at pages with no ad's I couldn't cope lol

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/internet_utilities/safariadblocker.html

This is what I am using and I have to say to date I am really pleased with it (note that I have only had my Mac for about 6 months  :D)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:33:35 am »
I don't see any ads at the side of the page.  The only one on the page is the Forum.Thermomix.Com ad at the top of the page.
I also have Macs  and am running Firefox but also use Safari.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 04:21:03 am »
I use firefox, with adblocker plus, I am always quite appalled at advertising content on the few occasions I have it turned off! (On all sites, not just here)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:28:39 am »
you sort of forget about them don't you  :)

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 09:09:16 am »
thanks faffa 70 that worked a treat. interesting that people feel they are not affected by adverts, I wonder if it had been a female that complained whether folk might feel differently? interesting psychology going on I think.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:44 am »
I know subconsciously that we are affected by adverts even if we try not to be, that is why I chose not to have them ;)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 09:54:18 am »
i can't see them ,ad yep, there's nothing the moderators can do about them. you could try contacting MM to ask him about it.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »
To be honest I rarely notice them. I even ignore ads on TV. As suggested if you are really concerned MM is the person to contact.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 03:18:48 pm »
I haven't noticed the ads until now, and that was only because you mentioned them that i know they are ads. I didn't even focus on them long enough to know what they're about. I must have my own filter. One thing I am certain of - no scantily clad women on the ad i saw.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »
interesting that people feel they are not affected by adverts, I wonder if it had been a female that complained whether folk might feel differently? interesting psychology going on I think.

I don't think people said they were unaffected by adverts - I think we said we don't see them and that means we really don't see them, not that we ignore them   (or at least that's the case for me).....    Sorry if it made you feel I wasn't taking your complaint seriously

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 02:30:17 am »
Another who just doesn't see them on here.
I don't turn them off as I am always fascinated by what google comes up with on another forum I am on.