Author Topic: TM camping  (Read 10007 times)

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
TM camping
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:22:43 pm »
I am in the process of putting together an e book of recipes, tips and ideas for using the TM while camping and caravanning. If you have any tips, hints, ideas or recipes I would love to hear from you and if your idea etc is used I will willingly acknowledge you in the finished e book.
This message is being sent while camping, and cooking tomato and pepper soup for lunch using a TM3300
Tim
Cook with all your heart and then friends and family will not be far away

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: TM camping
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:22 pm »
think cookie is the resident camping expert..she is off on holidays tomorrow though but im sure there are plenty of others who can help...im not a camper myself but there is a subject here somewhere on this exact thing...do a search on travelling with the thermomix as im sure it was after confusion of the new thx 31 cookbook and camping etc..im sure JD will redirect you if you cant find it once the royal wedding is over  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
dh won't let me take ours camping :(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:01:00 pm »
Here's the thread you were talking about Frozzie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
thanks JD knew youd come through once the royal wedding was over..hope you enjoyed your dinner so beautifully set up while watching the wedding  :)

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 02:18:48 pm »

My dh is the same.  He also witters on about travelling light???  WHAT is that all about?  I'm taking several pairs of shoes, dresses, hairdryer etc.  I WILL take the TM one day - we have our own caravan after all - it will be fine out in the awning. ;D ;D ;D

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:37:59 pm »
i think all men like us to travel light ..its not my forte unfortunately but i have improved over the years..mainly due to airline weight restrictions lol ....and space in the car depending on where we are headed!  the kids were great camouflage for baggage also when they were babies..now not so much lol..

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 12:59:06 am »

My dh is the same.  He also witters on about travelling light???  WHAT is that all about?  I'm taking several pairs of shoes, dresses, hairdryer etc.  I WILL take the TM one day - we have our own caravan after all - it will be fine out in the awning. ;D ;D ;D

Nik

XH and I used to go camping when the kids were young and you've heard about people taking everything but the kitchen sink.  Well I took the sink, a large foldup gas cooker (3 burners which we used as a BBQ at home by adding a hot plate) and a small fridge. Tenting it didn't mean we had to rough it and whatever could fit in the trailer I was allowed to take:-)) :-))

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:13:54 am »
What luxuries you all take with you - when we go camping we go on our motor bike - the bare essentials only with the bulk of the gear carried being for the bike (especially if we are going a long way).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:40:15 am »
I'm great at travelling light, never need more than one small carry on size bag. But if I went camping that would be another thing!!!! I'd pack the whole house, lol.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:24:55 am »
but the tmx would mean We ARE travelling lighter! we wouldn't need the cooking stove, saucepans, frypans etc ;)

our cooking stove stopped working last time so i may have a chance ;) for my dh it's about the safety of the tmx lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 01:29:47 am »
I agree Karen, it wouldn't be a good idea to leave it behind if people were camping in a tent and went off somewhere. It would have to go in the car everywhere you went.

Offline HelenN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:13:46 am »
Hi everyone - I take my TM caravanning - it is a must pack item! - but make sure you have the TM bag so that the scales don't get wrecked!  I like doing he one pot dishes so you don't have to buy heaps of stuff and usually put the vegie concentrate in the caravan fridge before we leave so I know I have that and don't have to buy cubes! :)

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »
Ok thanks so far for the info.  First of all camping doesn't have to be slumming it, fast food or crawling around on the ground (but can be if you want to!) We go civilised camping, cooking proper food and eating well, its all part of the fun. A TM does not, compared with other  things people take weigh that much, so that is not an issue. Many new caravans have a microwave which is very heavy and completely useless in my opinion.
Security could be an issue, but these day people take mobiles, TV's, laptops etc which can be of equal value. Never the less I am going to include some ideas about security and transportation. Our valuable items get locked securely when we are not in residence.
What I am really interested in are recipes which have been tried and work well while camping........ :)

Offline timfulford

• View Profile
    • ATamorecreations
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 05:21:25 pm »
think cookie is the resident camping expert..she is off on holidays tomorrow though but im sure there are plenty of others who can help...im not a camper myself but there is a subject here somewhere on this exact thing...do a search on travelling with the thermomix as im sure it was after confusion of the new thx 31 cookbook and camping etc..im sure JD will redirect you if you cant find it once the royal wedding is over  :)
Thank you for this info. I look forward to hearing from Cookie.