Author Topic: Jacket Potatoes  (Read 6163 times)

Offline grub72

• View Profile
Jacket Potatoes
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:37:44 am »
Can I do Jacket Potatoes in the TMX? if so ... how please ???

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
Re: Jacket Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »
Jacket potatoes is like baked potatoes?
If that is then you cant do the potatoes in the TMX but you can do some nice stuffing im sure.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:17 pm »
Jacket potatoes in Australia are whole potatoes normally cooked in the oven or thrown into a weber, crisp on the outside, cut in halves or a cross made in the top and squeezed to make it sort of pop open.  It is then topped with butter or sour cream or all sorts of things to make a complete meal or potato removed and mixed with other ingredients, piled back into the shell and reheated.
You can steam whole potatoes in the TMX, either in the basket or the varoma dish but of course it will not have the crisp outer skin. There is no reason you can't do the first step in the TMX then spray the skin and bake it in the oven until it crisps up.  I often microwave large potatoes for a few minutes to cut down on the cooking time in the oven if I am in a hurry. I love jacket potatoes, particularly a crisp skin and can never understand why some people only eat the middle and leave the best part on their plate  ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:54:32 am »
We had our first bought jacket potatoes from a take away  many years ago. It was a trailer parked in a closed service station in Mount Gambier. They were delicious and then we started doing them at home. I had never had anything like it before.

I agree with you Judy about the skin. The best place to get them here is from the footy. (Go West Coast) ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:30:18 am »
oh i love jacket potatoes and agree the skin is the best part..crispy yum!!  Also agree that you couldnt do them in the thermomix well not with the crisp but maybe part do them then put them in the oven.
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »
love the crispy skin too. But it makes absolutely no sense to prepare any part of the potatoes in the TMX. Not even before. If youre in a hurry then microwave or boil them a bit.