Author Topic: Carrot and Walnut Patties - Rainbow Recipes p. 23  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Carrot and Walnut Patties - Rainbow Recipes p. 23
« on: January 19, 2012, 03:27:19 am »
My tweak is using steal cut oats, less than 1 cup.  Very quiick and easy.  Taste wise is pretty nice too,  sweet.  Good option for lunch box if school allow to have walnut.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
Re: Carrot and Walnut Patties - Rainbow Recipes p. 23
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:22 am »
Thanks Denzelmum. These are on my list for this week. I was planning to do these as burgers. Please forgive my ignorance but why steel cut oats as opposed to rolled oats? Does this improve the taste or texture?
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:26:02 am »
Hi Djinni, I just use what's available - I suppose in this recipe this end up as oatmeal, so won't make much difference.
Here is the link http://cancerdietitian.com/2008/11/quick-oats-steel-cut-oats-or-regular-oats-whats-the-difference.html about steel oat vs oat.

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 11:32:14 am »
Thank you Denzelmum. Interesting. Must see if I can find some steel cut oats to try  :)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »
Hi Djinni, you can buy it in health shop...

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »
We had these for dinner tonight as patties on homemade burger buns (recipe from a UK site I think) with creamy cashew mayo (Rainbow Recipes) and coleslaw (EDC). Everything (including the bread) was made in just on an hour. I didn't mention what was in the patties and the burgers were enjoyed by all.  Used just under a cup of rolled oats because that was all I had.

The patties are mild in flavour (with some sweetness from the carrots) which went well with the tangy mayo, the coleslaw and the salad leaves with an extra squeeze of lemon. Yum!

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:50:41 am »
I have found combining the three recipes of carrot, zucchini and mushroom works well. Add a little cheese if you aren't vegan.