Author Topic: Sweets (eg fudge)  (Read 7868 times)

Offline Rach

• View Profile
Sweets (eg fudge)
« on: February 10, 2009, 02:52:44 pm »
I have had a look through what I think is the appropriate sections but cannot find a recipe for fudge or coconut ice or the like.

Is it possible to make fudge in a TM and if so, do we have a recipe on this forum? Oh yeah... must go and use the search function, hey?  ;)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Sweets (eg fudge)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:04:02 pm »
unless you need a temp higher than the varoma does (114'c i think) then it should be possible :) i haven't tried it though, it's not quite on the weightwatchers plan ;) hehehehe
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:06 pm »
oh i'll just pop this into the recipe requests section too :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 09:59:42 am »
Using Varoma temperature it eventually reaches 118 oC according to UK, 120o according to ... Germany, I think?  (I have too much to do with too many TM countries  ;) )

Anyway, I've made a rather nice fudge in the TM.  I had intended it to be toffee, but it came out as fudge  ;D

I've lost that recipe  >:(  But I'm off to find you some others.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Rach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »
thank you... mmmm, toffee... butterscotch would be nice!

weightwatchers? I'm not watching anyone's weight around here! (mind you, I need to get butt to gym pronto. The baby's five months old now....)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:44:40 pm »
Here's a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow, which is apparently very quick and easy:

Date & Orange Pralines

Ingredients:
200 g Dates
100 g Almonds
1 Tsp Cocoa
a few drops of Orange extract (NB: I assume that some orange zest would have the same effect?)

Directions:
Almonds Grind 30 Sec./Speed 7 , then set to the side
Dates Chop 30 Sec./Speed 5

Mix Almonds, Dates, cocoa & Orange essence 30 Sec./ speed 3-4
Knead the crumbly mix into balls with your fingers.

This recipe is by Speed at www.wunderkessel.de, who comments that s/he has tried to do everything together at the same time, but it made her/his machine smoke!!!  :o  So since then s/he does the almonds and dates separately.  S/he also says that s/he has no idea how long they last for, as they're never around for longer than 3 days in their house  ;D
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Rach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:39:20 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Caroline... and thanks for the heads up on the smokin' machine! (We all know the TM is hot!)

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:51:31 am »
Anyway, I've made a rather nice fudge in the TM.  I had intended it to be toffee, but it came out as fudge  ;D

Trying to emember back to my home ec days in high school, I think that if you constantly stir the ingredients while they boil, it causes the sugars to crystallise which makes it "fudgy". I think it's important not to stir the toffee when it's boiling, so I guess it would be really hard to make toffee in the thermomix. I could have this the wrong way round, though. I am pretty sure you do stir one and definately don't stir the other.
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:18:53 pm »
The biggest problem is that you really can't get the temp high enough.

I decided to see if you could make caramel - the temp did not get hot enough to melt ordinary sugar.  So I tried glucose and then fructose which have lower melting temps.  Neither got hot enough to melt.

It is good thought that things are less likely to burn and get stuck !!!  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:46:14 am »
I have a great fudge recipe that is perfect in the TM...when I get home, I'll check it (read; make and eat) and then post it. (Still in USA)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:41 am »
You're visiting in the States?  Where abouts?

Offline Tenina

• View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:56:36 pm »
I'm home again...I was in California, (drove in LA...priceless!) Nevada, Utah and Texas. All great, sold TM's to chefs in Vegas, missed it (my little Thermie) like crazy, now back to it full swing! Haven't forgotten the fudge folks, maybe this weekend...hmmmn, how often could I hit the gym to justify fudge I wonder?? :-\

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:19 pm »
Welcome back Tenina. How is the Thermomix situation in USA?

MM

Offline Tenina

• View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 11:32:07 pm »
Thanks, hit the ground running and haven't stopped, and as you can tell...(look at the time I posted this and make it WA time!!) I am not sleeping, so much going on everywhere! USA is struggling...lots of closed businesses, really noticed it in retail, 4-5 closed stores for every open one in some places...makes shopping depresssing! (And naturally our $$ was DOWN!...so I shopped lesss than last time!) Sold 5 TM's to chefs, they couldn't believe they had never seen it or heard of it B4...and one guy has a wife who runs a business placing personal chefs, so she was all hip to selling them through to her clients! That should be interesting!