Author Topic: Carrot Cake  (Read 21809 times)

Offline Roberta G

• View Profile
Carrot Cake
« on: July 28, 2008, 12:33:41 am »
Name of Recipe: Carrot Cake
Number of People:
Ingredients:

2 cups roughly diced carrot

2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil (I use grapeseed)
2/3 cup applesauce (make in thermo)
3 eggs
1/2 tspn salt
1 1/3 tspn baking soda (bicarb)
1 1/3 tspn baking powder
1 1/3 tspn cinnamon or mixed spice
1 1/3 cups plain flour

Preparation:

Place carrot in Thermomix, chop on speed 6 for approx 5-10 seconds. remove.

Place butterfly in thermo.
Combine sugar and oil on speed 4 for approx 10-15 seconds. scrape sides down, add applesauce and mix on speed 4 for another 10-15 seconds.
Reduce speed to 2 and add eggs one at a time through top and beat till smooth.
Add dry ingredients and mix on speed 2 for around 10-15 seconds.
Add in carrots and mix on speed 2 for 5-10 seconds.

Pour into a greased cake tin and bake in a mod. slow over 160-180'c for 1 hour.

Top with cream cheese frosting

members' comments

JD - I loved this carrot cake, so moist and it froze really well, even with the cream cheese frosting on top. Even my husband had a piece and he isn't a cake eater. 

Rowyfo - It tastes amazing... I used Amanda's frosting. The cake did stick to the pan everywhere, so more greasing next time. Thanks for the recipe Karen.

MJ - This is a fabulous recipe for carrot cup cakes. I've made 4 batches in the last few days for various events as well as for lunch boxes. Just wanted to update the recipe with weights. Plus, I don't use apple sauce, just oil. Below is the recipe as I make it:

Brazen's Carrot Cakes

Preheat oven to 160o C
2 cups roughly chopped carrot (170 g about 4 carrots)- blitz on speed 5/6 for 5 seconds and remove.

Blitz 130g raw sugar - speed 7 for 20 seconds.

Add to  ::
3 eggs
2/3 cup (100 g) oil

Blend for 15 seconds on speed 4 (I don't use butterfly). Scrape down and blend again for a further 15 seconds. Scrape once more.

Sift:
130g plain flour
70g plain wholemeal flour
1.5 tsp bicarb
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

and add to mixture in  *:  along with the previously chopped carrots

Mix on dough setting for about 20 seconds and scrape down incorporating any flour that hasn't mixed in. Pour mixture in to a muffin tin lined with patty pans. I fill the patty pans to the top as the muffin tin is deeper than the paper patty pans.
Alternatively, pour into a ring tin.

Bake in a moderate oven, 175 degrees C, for 20 - 25 minutes or until top of cakes spring back when gently touched.
For a ring tin, bake in a moderately slow oven, 160 degrees C, for 1 hour.

I don't put nuts in, but I guess you'd chop them before the carrot. Original recipe says 1/2 cup. Could also be just sprinkled on top of frosting.

Ice with cream cheese frosting and top with little pieces of chopped Turkish apricots and a sprinkling of pepitas for that 'cafe' look.

I've edited this for some changes that I've made. Reduced oil and used a mix of wholemeal and white flour.

Narelle - I made MJ's recipe adaptation of Brazen's as above today and OH YUM.  With some basic cream cheese icing it was very very nice.  Similar to the Sara Lee frozen one.

I SCREAM - This was my first attempt at cake EVEEER! I don't even like Carrotcake - but it's the hubby's fave! It was awesome.
Just added a tiny bit more sugar to the icing as it was a bit to cheezy for my sweet tooth. Thank you brazen.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:57:58 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Carrot Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:03 am »
Thanks for sharing my recipe. you can see the original here
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Rach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:25 pm »
cool blog!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:51:35 pm »
thanks rach :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:39:16 am »
Wait!  A carrot cake with no carrots in the ingredients?  I think you guys have been down under too long   ;D

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:07:46 am »
Well spotted, Warren!! ::)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:24:27 am »
oh that's funny, i wonder if my original recipe has them? lol i'm sure it does as i've used it quite a few times since posting it!

yes it definitely does - but there's an empty line between the carrot and the rest of the ingredients for some weird reason so the OP didn't copy it
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:26:24 am by brazen20au »
My Cooking Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:03:34 am »
Excuses excuses  ::)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:40 am »
*I* don't need to make the excuse, i'm not the one who left the carrot behind  :D :D ;D
My Cooking Blog

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:20:46 pm »
LOL...  l do this all the time.   I'm dyslexic and have to read and re-read to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 06:31:22 am »
LOL - I'm not dyslexic, but still make lots of mistakes - fortunately on this forum you can edit your entry, (AND I FREQUENTLY DO) but other forums don't allow you to make changes, and once it's gone I sometimes see some DUMB things  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[.

It is funny when massive errors are transcribed from one website to another -cups of baking powder for instance instead of teaspoons.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:36 am »
LOL...  l do this all the time.   I'm dyslexic and have to read and re-read to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Yep I am with you on that one...I also have to be very careful when copying recipes (or anything for that matter) that I don't transpose the measurements...that can result in disaster too! Can also make for some very funny moments if you see the funny side of dyslexsia as my family do god love them.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:50:37 am »
I loved this carrot cake, so moist and it froze really well, even with the cream cheese frosting on top. Even my husband had a piece and he isn't a cake eater.  Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 07:02:24 am »
thanks judydawn, i had wondered if you could freeze complete with frosting.  my kids love this cake and i'm going to make a batch of patty cake (cupcake) sized one this weekend for them to use up some of my millions of carrots :)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33:13 am »
This cake so reminded me of ring cakes we sold in our deli in the 80s & 90s. That baker also did a carrot & pineapple and carrot & zucchini (orange & green flecks!) so I am going to try swapping the apple for pineapple in one and zucchini in the other. They were absolutely yum and sooo popular. Thanks roberta & brazen!
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia