Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6101441 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #23670 on: March 17, 2020, 06:11:15 am »
You're right, Cookie, 2020 has been a horrendous year - first the fires, then the floods and now the virus.  I feel for those that have been affected by any (or all) of the disasters.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23671 on: March 17, 2020, 06:55:05 am »
Hi everyone, firstly Marina I also was wondering if you made the cut off flight or not.  What a nightmare that would have been for you both. 
Katie you have a few problems there to sort themselves out but you are a seasoned problem solver so I have no doubt you will manage.  It’s difficult when everyone needs us at once.
Chookie I’m sure you will cope admirably and may even enjoy this self-imposed isolation putting all your skills into practice.
Cookie we never know what’s around the corner in life but this year has been downright cruel, one thing after another and topped off by this world wide problem.  Not knowing how long it will last is worrying so we all need to try and stay as healthy as we can to cope with what lies ahead. I’ve cancelled out from all social events and bus trips but I will still pop in daily to visit Mum until I am no longer allowed to.  From today the facility has put in place some special conditions to try and prevent an outbreak so visits from immediate family are allowed between certain hours but with these new conditions.  I only have 1 mouth to feed and have always had good pantry and freezer stocks so I will be OK for quite some time.  Good luck to you all.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23672 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:42 am »
Judy MIL's nursing home has also issued specified times for visiting. It seems to be when their patients/clients are in their rooms. MIL never leaves her room now so I hope that will make her safer.
DD received a text from her uni lecturer early this morning saying she has all the symptoms of the virus and lectures were off for today. I sort of wish they would close the uni and have all lectures online. Then I think DD would get bored so it's best that she has uni for 3 days a week. I'm so glad she bought her Mustang instead of going overseas for her LSL. My brother has had to cancel his trip to America,. He is being very brave about it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23673 on: March 17, 2020, 12:36:51 pm »
I covered the veggies in the raised beds with netting.  Planted some more seeds.  I have realised that we will miss the fresh fruit and veg. I’m going well with using up the scraps.  I am actually meal/ menu planning.  I have never done this consciously.  Too impetuous.  I have done a week and haven’t had to use anything from the freezer.  Used leftover steamed veggies, plus a steamed potato and tin of red salmon to make patties for tomorrow. Still picking Zuchinni and tomatoes.
I rang the place in Melbourne where we get our Coffee beans and they will courier it to our house.
So far all good.
Judy and Cookie, you both are committed to visiting aged parents.  We are lucky that we don’t have to go out. We are trying to be as independent as possible but can see that we are going to have someone bring us some shopping. DD and SIL have both offered.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23674 on: March 17, 2020, 01:56:33 pm »
Your DD certainly did make a good choice choosing the car. The nursing homes must all be following Govt guidelines with their restrictions cookie.

We become very precious with the food we have got Chookie, I had a very simple meal for tea tonight even though I have far more impressive meals in the freezer.  You’re lucky you’re in the same city as your DD and SIL and not at Cherokee now, it will be no trouble for them to pick items up for you.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23675 on: March 17, 2020, 08:29:50 pm »
You are all doing a great job. For the first time Feeling strange being in the city . DH is having his last bite of food and then we may see DM before going into hospital . Normally I would rush around and do jobs . Well I need to get a few things so I may hold my breath and zip into a couple of places ! DS has hardly any winter clothes that fit him but then again he may have to be sloppy joe in his dads things . Decided to see GP while here and have my 6 monthly calcium injection and blood test results,

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23676 on: March 17, 2020, 10:30:30 pm »
Judy, yes we are very glad we are not at Cherokee.  We also appreciated this last year with Ral in and out of hospital.  We loved Cherokee, especially the house, but at our age, just not practical. Also our local shops were at Woodend and people have been coming up from Melbourne and raiding the Coles Supermarket.
Judy, I loved your comment about being economical with food.  That is exactly what I feel.  I gave RAL a Tim Tam to have with his coffee and said he could have only one.  He answered, would that be one every hour. 
Yesterday I made some mushroom gravy to use up some sad mushrooms.  I grated a Zuchinni into it as we have plenty.  It was very nice. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23677 on: March 18, 2020, 03:48:18 am »
That’s a great idea Chookie, must try that tip myself.  I was able to stick to an average of $50 a week for food even whilst DH was home and we had people to meals but now I’m doing Keto it’s a different story!  I’m loving it though so it doesn’t matter how much it costs me.

If Ral lived in our nursing home he would probably get a visit almost every day from a very generous resident who goes around in his electric wheelchair offering Tim Tams to all the ladies sitting in the lounge rooms.  Even visitors are offered but I am not tempted, besides that it must cost him a fortune as he buys from the coffee shop there.  I occasionally pick up a pack at the supermarket to give him but I don’t really want to encourage his well intentioned treat, they are very well fed in the facility and he usually makes his appearance  late in the afternoon just before their 3 course dinner.

I can remember visiting my parents years ago with DH and Mum brought out a packed of choc coated biscuits she keeps for visitors only.  Dad was not impressed that they’d been in the house hidden from him LOL.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23678 on: March 18, 2020, 07:53:36 am »
DD bought a couple of packets of Tim Tams a couple of weeks ago. They have been very good rationing them. I did have one the other night. ;D

We received an email from MIL's nursing home this morning saying they were going into lock down from this Friday. WE had dental appointments but I have delayed them so that MIL can get a visit before lock down.

I went shopping this morning. I mainly needed fresh foods. I was shocked at what little stock is on the shelves. People are just grabbing everything. I wonder if people will actually use up all this stuff they are buying of if it will go to waste.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #23679 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:41 pm »
Got most of my shopping done yesterday at the local, very well stocked, Turkish supermarket.  No shortages there!

My sister reckons the sales of laxatives will go up now as everyone tries to use up all the toilet paper!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23680 on: March 18, 2020, 09:55:59 pm »
Yesterday went shopping to stock up on Chance’s dog food. Then visited the vets to buy enough of his meds for the next four months.
Today I’ve been emailing friends and making telephone calls to family. All the schools will be closed from Friday, for maybe six months. All exams have been cancelled. There is talk that London will be in total lockdown soon.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:02:29 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23681 on: March 19, 2020, 09:31:44 am »
CC, it is all hard to get your mind around.  Every day they are bringing in new restrictions here. Saying it will peek here in June.
Made plum Jam which took hours to set.  Think it needs more sugar to get the balance right. Got another lot to make tomorrow.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23682 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:16 am »
What will happen with GS Denise, will you be able to have him at home with you or is the van not big enough?  That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news this morning.

SIL arrived from Melbourne today for a few days with his Mum so they invited me to join them out for dinner at the local which was nice. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23683 on: March 19, 2020, 11:03:43 am »
That's funny Judy, I also wondered about Denise's GS when I heard UK schools were closing.

MIL's nursing home has gone into lockdown for a month. DH tried to explain it to her today using the term ' a very bad flu.' He said she understood at the time, but sadly she won't remember in a few days and may wonder where we all are.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #23684 on: March 19, 2020, 11:36:52 am »
DH has done well with his operation. Pain staring to set in DHS orthopaedic surgeon said just go home get out of here tomorrow . Saw DM but kept my distance . DS text me today he told me that school and boarding house was closed ! All good not till Monday . I will pick them up on Saturday but school on line / distance education starts on Monday for the week !
So on the road tomorrow and I do not feel like stopping now although I would love some carrots ! Oh well we will be fine although two teens eat a lot and I will be on food duty for awhile I think .