Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 507350 times)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #1635 on: October 04, 2016, 09:25:21 pm »
I enjoyed reading it especially after finding out that belief in fairies was very prevalent in Ireland and Hannah Kent had gone to a lot of effort to ensure that it was historically accurate.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »
Cookie, this is the first book I am reading of Matthew, never actually thought I could read a complete action pact book but it is well written :)

I am almost about to complete the book I am reading, any suggestions for a good gripping thriller book?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 05, 2016, 06:45:16 am »
I really love JD Robb books. However they are set in the future. This doesn't really make any difference to the story other than programming the auto chef and the gaols being 'off planet. ' they are good thrillers. Kathy Reichs does good ones, Louise Penny.

I have the Little Coffee Shop of Kabul to read for book club this month.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 10, 2016, 04:21:23 am »
Half way through the book, "Paris is always a good idea" by Nicolas Barreau.. a bit slow paced but a nice read!
Thank you so much Cookie, I will try one of those authors next :)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 11, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »
I really love this thread! I often have a read through old and new posts when looking for a new book.

Our book club (which we currently run through CAE Book clubs for an annual fee)  is considering moving to a self managed model (ie everyone takes turns in choosing a book and the onus is on the reader to source the books). Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Currently we pay $120/year to borrow 6 books (including freight/delivery of books and reading notes [which we don't tend to use])
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:39 pm »
I coordinate our book club with our local library. Once a year, we are sent a list of books in the collection and are asked to select books for the coming year. In return, we are expected to donate a set of 8 books once a year.
We have enjoyed most of the books we selected this yeR, but there were a few duds. This month we are reading Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper, and last month we read The Secret Life of Bees - both of which were good picks
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 14, 2016, 10:42:14 am »
That's a nice way to go about the book club ES. Thanks for sharing...funnily enough I haven't even considered asking if our local library supports book clubs!!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: October 14, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
I enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees.

Jamberie, our local library runs our book club. They source the books from other libraries and it is free to us. We only need to be a member of the library.

When I lived in the bush, we had 12 members. We all had a month and it was our responsibility to purchase 12 copies of the book for the month.  The other members bought their book from us. We then had to host the evening  when we discussed the book. I preferred this type of book club as we got to read the latest books.
The one run by our library has good books but never the latest ones out.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: October 14, 2016, 11:40:45 pm »
Your bush style book club is probably close to what our book club might be like Cookie. I suspect that these days with The Book Depository, Booktopia and eReaders our book club might head the way of a 'source it yourself' type system.
Although I must see what our library can offer too.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: November 21, 2016, 03:41:43 am »
Have to say I am loving reading Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novels quartet .
Book 1: My Brillant Friend . Read
Book 2: The Story Of A New Name. Read
Book 3 : Those Who Leave And Those Who Stay . Just started.
Book 4: The Story Of The Lost Child
These books cover 60 years of two girls friendship .The first is about Elena and Lila childhood in Naples  Italy . Totally recommend for a good quick read .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: November 21, 2016, 06:21:27 am »
My DD has read these K Atie and said she thoroughly enjoyed them. I've just finished Patricia Cornwell's Chaos. A lot of the review for it didn't like it, but I did.
I've just started River of Destiny by Barbara Erskine. It is set in 3 totally different time periods. So far, so good. Not what I would choose to read but hopefully it will still be good.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: November 21, 2016, 06:43:35 am »
Just downloaded Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch, the Message from Lindisfarne by Salley  Vickers. Just read the hysterical The Truffle War and Fat Bits by Hetti Ashwin. Finished The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer., In the Company of Strangers and The Woman Next Door  By Liz Byrski.  Read last week Night School by Lee Child. Lined up is The Wrong Side of Goodbye by Michael Connelly. Read The Dry by Jane Harper and Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben.

Eyes sore so had eye test and $900 later back to binge reading between dog walks and Netflix's binging.

Life is good.

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: November 21, 2016, 10:21:37 pm »
I have just finished reading two Liane Moriarty books, Big little lies ( I couldn't put this one down, loved it) and truly madly guilty, this one had me a little frustrated in the beginning, it was a teaser. I would recommend both.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: November 22, 2016, 01:22:52 pm »
Gert it sounds like you are definitely the reading champ. Well done.

Bedlam I've read a few Liane Moriarty and enjoyed them.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: November 22, 2016, 07:15:51 pm »
Lots of good ideas this week.  Thanks for everyone's comments / recommendations.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.