Author Topic: Processed food horrors  (Read 3583 times)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Processed food horrors
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:51:03 am »
From today's paper, it's not a good read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2978316/Read-ll-never-eat-ready-meal-again.html

Thought some members might be interested.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
Re: Processed food horrors
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 08:02:43 am »
A very eye opening read DJ.  It's great to be reminded how lucky we are to have the help of the TM to make delicious food.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:39 am »
I don't know if anyone here watched The Checkout on ABC. They had a section showing the photo on the front of the packaged food, they then opened it and showed what it really looked like. YUK.

DD and I ate in the restaurant here last night. We had a antipasto platter of mainly cold processed meats and then an entree size for the main meal. It was all very nice, however we don't use much salt at home and with the lovely meats we felt like we had salt with a salt chaser. I won't be having those tonight.  :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:43 am »
Dinner sounds nice Cookie. It's amazing how your tastes change. Since being on the study, I find most commercial foods too salty or sweet.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:30:40 am »
I think most Thermomix owners know the benefits of fresh healthy, home prepared food, but reading that article particularly at the end makes you aware of YUK don't even want to think about it food additives .  I have to go shopping now, not that I buy anything much that is packaged but thinking......where does everything come from?

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 03:40:51 am »
Brenda, huge big factories that put out so much processed food they can, filled with numbers, colors, additives, salt, sugar, and what ever else.

some people can't cook, and never cook from scratch, let alone bake. :'(
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:38:57 am »
Thanks for posting DJ, sad how they deceive us, freshly baked but bought in ready made and frozen.  We are blessed to have our thermies and know what baking from scratch really means.
Denise

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 04:23:55 am »
It's appalling what the 'food' industry gets away with. I remember eating a Vesta meal once, when I was a student. OMG it was the most disgusting looking and tasting thing I'd ever tried.

It's not hard to whip up a quick meal even when you're on your own. Thank goodness for the Thermie, everything is so much easier!

People believe the hype, the marketing and pretty labels. I never buy processed rubbish, though my DH loves everything processed. When I was away recently, he bought Kraft processed cheese!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:46 am »
It's scary where the food industry has moved too & MJ right it's all in the marketing and convincing us that cooking is too hard. The couple of food ecourses I recently did was for a couple of reasons such as health, general interest but also I recognise we live in a highly processed food world & if buying from a supermarket or at a part etc I want to understand labels, what's in these processed foods so that I (my family) can avoid the real bad ones as much as possible.