Author Topic: Hello From Cairns, QLD  (Read 6791 times)

*Efjay*

Hello From Cairns, QLD
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:07:13 am »
Hi, Just popping in. New to the TM & hoping it will get easier. So far Im not so sold :(.. I have 5 fussy kids & a fussy vegetarian husband so should be interesting! So far its mostly been a very expensive steamer :/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Hello From Cairns, QLD
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:41:57 am »
Oh no fJay! We can't have that!
What kinds of things do you like to cook?
We have lots of vegetarian recipes here and lots for different tastes too.
Was there something you were hoping to cook that hasn't worked out?
Ask away, we are all here to help :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hello From Cairns, QLD
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:56 am »
Hello Efjay, welcome to the forum.  Here you will find all the answers to your questions,  great recipes and the support you need to get the best out of your TMX.  Tell us what you've made and what the problems have been so far.  Which recipes are you using?  Have you tried any from the forum?  Let us help you love your TMX and please your family.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:14:38 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:43 am »
Welcome to the forum Efjay.Don't despair I'm sure with the support of the forum we can get you loving your TM.
Both Judy and Jamberie have asked some good questions and with your replies we can get you cooking better. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:32 am »
Hi Efjay I'm also from Cairns. Hopefully with everyone's help you can find some recipes you a and your family love!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:40 am »
Welcome efjay. That is really sad re your thermomix. We would love to suggest some recipes from the forum for you to try. Just tell us what you like.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 07:55:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum Efjay   :)

Sorbet can be adjusted to suit a lot of tastes and very easy to make - the kids would probably be able to help. All you need is their favourite fruit.
Have a browse through the recipe section and I'm sure you'll find some recipes that fit the bill. As the others have said ask any questions and we will only be too pleased to help.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:45:21 pm »
Don't give up.  We will help you.  You are obviously very busy and with a family with special needs.   I would suggest you start with just one recipe a day.  Build on this.  Pick one that all, ( or most) will eat.  Given where you live,  I would suggest a salad.  Part of which may be made in the TMX.   Cookies Vienna Bread is loved by all in my family.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:19 am »
Oh! no, don't give up - it's a lot to take in when your machine first arrives.  Look through the recipes on here and pick one that sounds like something you would all enjoy.  Ask all the questions you want as on this site there are so many people who are only too willing to help.  Good luck!!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:06 am »
hang in there Jay we will be here every step of the way for you
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:07 am »
Hi Efjay and welcome. It does get easier. Just an adjustment phase. Keep going, you will get there. We've all been through it and hear to help.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:20 pm »
Hi Efjay, and welcome.  :)
We cannot bear to hear you are not sold on your TM, please tell us a bit more so we can help you help yourself!!
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 11:49:11 pm »
Hi, I am in Yungarrra, so close to Cairns, after growing up there.

It is so easy, once you get used to the thermie.  we are here to help, and welcome :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

*Efjay*

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:30 pm »
Thank you for the warm & encouraging welcome! Not giving up anytime soon, not with the price tag LOL Hubby would kill me!

Ok... main issues.. Quantity, I have a family of 7 & find most of the recipes don't stretch that far.. Also Time, Im finding it hard to be quick & easy. Some of the things I have struggled with seem to be based on the fact it takes a lot longer then indicated in the EDC book.

Those I think are just hurdles I am yet to leap but Im sure I will.
I am however finding it hard to put together a fall back meal plan. You know one where I can go, don't have time this week ( or lets face it, simply CBF) this will be this weeks meals... I am yet to sit down & do a "TM shop" I have gone out & bought the things I need for things I want to make but so far my everyday meals are still steamed veggies & some kind of packet side. I really want to get out of buying those sort of thing. Hubby is a fussy vegetarian. Not big on Pasta, although the Tomato Paste in the EDC has been a big hit with him & I use it as my sgetti sauce now (was always Jarred before). Doesn't like Rice or curry/spicy meals (he can't handle the heat, not even a little teeny tiny bit) & is also Dairy free.

Add to that, I have 3 ASD boys all with their own quirky sensory issues that also limit foods. 1 doesn't like mushy, 1 doesn't like veggies & all 3 (4 if you include my Daughter) have issues visually with food that is mixed up like say slow cook type meals, stir frys etc. I kinda do play the tough love card when it comes to this one though as it really does place a massive limitation on meals if ingredients can't touch one another. But I am mindful of it though as I do understand that it is a visually displeasing thing to look at (I think YUMMO!, They think ew it looks like vomit :/)

So I guess I really need help with the meal planning side of things & finding my way into a routine that makes this thing work like clock work..

At the moment I have it cooking Lemon Curd (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=10512.0 this) and again (I made it the other night as well) the lemon curd is not thickening in the 7 min it says.. Last time it took about 25 min :/ I have just set it for another 10 min (did 10 to start) as its still very runny..

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:36:51 pm »
Efjay, you have many problems which will be difficult to overcome but you know what your family likes and don't like so maybe you will have to do different types of meals for various members of the family.  Here's a thread where large families are talked about, have a read of that and see if there's any hints in there.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.