Author Topic: The Paleo (Caveman/woman) Diet  (Read 9820 times)

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
The Paleo (Caveman/woman) Diet
« on: August 14, 2015, 05:41:30 am »
I am a recent convert to Paleo. It is more to do with healthy living than losing weight. I have however lost significant weight but more importantly am feeling really healthy. I have found that the TMX is so good for Paleo and I have converted many recipes. I am surprised that there is not much said about it so am I the only Paleo convert?
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: The Paleo (Caveman/woman) Diet
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:23:32 am »
I haven't changed over but maybe put a couple of your conversions on here, and we can give them a try? There must be heaps of people following this diet.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27:47 am »
I've been Paleo for 6 months, Dot. I love the food & I'm feeling very healthy. I have only lost 5kg in that time though because my body hates to shed weight!!!
I need to lose another 20 -25kg, but I'm happy if I can lose anything . I haven't converted any TMX recipes because I'm not very good at that. I follow a lot of Pete Evans Paleo recipes. I'd love to see some of your conversions :)

Offline KristySpiegl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 01:01:56 pm »
With gluten free me, lactose intolerant DH and additive free Mr 7, we are close to Paleo most of the time. I'd love to share recipes :) Maybe we can get a Paleo subsection in the recipe swap

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 07:44:55 am »
I had a Paleo bread at Nikki and Nerissa's class a couple of weeks ago. The flavour of it was amazing.
DD go ahead and post your conversions as I'm sure others would appreciate them. If we have enough interest we can ask MM for a Paleo section.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JenJan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:52 am »
DD you are not alone. I don't post much but I visit this forum often and always check here first when I'm looking for a recipe. I went paleo just under a year ago to try and stall arthritis symptoms, and also to that end I  eliminated nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, capsicum, goji berries and chillies). And I feel GOOD, so there's no way I am going back. I dropped about 5 kilograms and a dress size. I've recently taken up  martial arts and train a few times a week so I feel fit, strong and lean. I've just turned 60 and I consult a dietician regularly to make sure I'm on track.

I've found Sarah Wong's blog 'Clever Cook' really very helpful. She's known for her magic bean chocolate cake (which works wonderfully well with a can of butter beans for those times I need to make a cake) and 'I can't believe it's not dairy New York Cheesecake'. (She does have something of a sweet tooth!) Her recipes are mostly paleo and she uses a thermomix. I am particularly fond of her fig bread recipe which I stack full of fruit including figs, citrus peel, apricot pieces and chopped naked ginger (wonderful), and  I use chia instead of linseeds. She has a swag of grain free bread recipes which I'm slowly working my way through but keep coming back to the fig loaf.

Interestingly, tonight here in Oz there are two male television journalists going to air to talk about their health issues and about going paleo.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:59:08 am »
Congratulations JenJan.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:24 am »
My son has been trying paleo and is happy with it so I made him a couple of cakes when he came home from work this time. Will try and remember what I did and post them. One was orange and carrot and the other banana; both turned out very nice. I don't think I could give up some of the things required on this diet though.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 08:40:33 am »
Hi All,
I am so pleased that there are a few of us on Paleo.  It is not widely used or known here in England unlike the US who are seemingly swamped by it. I have lost 28lb so far and am now sewing reduction alterations to clothes. Yesterday My DD and I pickniced paleo at a stately home (Belton House) and I actually managed to go upstairs in the house. (Usually, I am left to view the gardens on my scooter.) I am actually beating the pain associated with spinal stenosis and arthritis.
I will send in a few paleo recipes. There are of course many of the Thermomix ones that are there already. I made mayonnaise to go with our picnic and the only alteration was to use a light olive oil instead of oils that are treated. My daughter made some soft biscuits which surprisingly have only 3 ingredients.  1 egg, 1/3 cup honey and 1 cup of peanut butter (actually peanuts are not paleo so she should have used almond butter). Just thrown in the TMX, mixed and spooned onto a baking tray. Add in chocolate chips if you fancy.  Oven 180 for say 15 mins when they are browning at the edgeds. They harden a bit as they cool but they are a more spongy texture and nice for those naughty moments.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
Nice to hear from you Dot, glad things are improving for you.  What a great weight loss!
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:26:14 am »
You are sounding so happy and healthy on the paleo diet that I am almost tempted to give it a try, but I don't think it would work for DH and I.  Congratulations on your improvement in health and weight loss and wonderful to hear your voice on here again.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:28:38 am »
Great news that the diet is working for you Dot. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:51 pm »
DD that is really wonderful news. I have spinal stenosis and had an op last November.
Your weight loss is so wonderful, congratulations. The weight loss would do wonders for lots of things I would imagine.

Offline JenJan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 07:45:24 am »
Well done Dot! Increased mobility, pain reduction and weight loss all speak volumes!
You inspired me to try making nut butter, which I had never tried so I've now got a jar in the fridge. Happy with that and feeling like trying a sweet treat,  I went further and made a batch of biscuits - yum! Thanks for the recipe - so simple!  I do love my Timmy!

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »
Hi All ,
One of the main comments I hear from would be Paleo converts is that they can't live without bread.  To that end I have put a recipe in special diet section to make some bread in just 41/2 minutes.  Just enough time to cook an egg alongside to put on top of  a slice.  You don't have to be a cave dweller to introduce a few new recipes and a good point is that there is no calorie counting.

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=16674.msg398171#msg398171
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:34:41 pm by judydawn »