Author Topic: Thermomix and Kitchen aid - does anyone own both?  (Read 10755 times)

Offline Aleisha

• View Profile
Thermomix and Kitchen aid - does anyone own both?
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »
I was just wondering as I'm thinking I may need a kitchenaid for mixing baking goods. I'm only new to tmx but I've tried a couple of cakes and tonight I made some cookie dough and it doesn't seem to mix as well as a mixer. Has anyone found this? 

Offline AliRo

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix and Kitchen aid - does anyone own both?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »
I have found baked goods can be a bit hit and miss and seems only work ok with certain types of things.  I often do it the old fashioned way depending on what it is.

Having said that, I personally don't understand what all the fuss is with a kitchen aid.  Mixing cakes and cookies takes about two minutes and I can just do that with my hand mixers.  It's not like I have to stand there for an hour trying to get it just right.  It would probably be more useful if you were doing bread doughs etc as well, but the tmx does a good job of those.

If I was to get a stand mixer I would probably just get a cheaper brand one seeing as I already have the tmx.  I don't doubt that the kitchen aid is a superior product to others on the market, but if I'm just going to be beating eggs and sugar I don't think I would need anything really robust.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
Hi AliRo,
I bought my Kitchenaid before I bought the TMX. I use both but the TMX is used everyday not so the Kitchenaid.  I use the Kitchenaid when I make large quantities of biscuits or a large Christmas cake.
Happy cooking :)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:42 pm »
I've got a kenwood chef - I don't like the kitchen aid - think they look too dated and fiddly. I've had my kenwood chef for about a decade - started off with a secondhand one and then found I used it sufficiently that I upgraded to a newer model and gave the other one to my sister. I have nearly all the attachments - which take up a shed load of space! - and just recently had fun with the kids taking the TMX made pasta dough and extruding it into fettuccine with the pasta attachment.
For the baking that I'm currently doing, the TMX usually suffices - and is easier and quicker to clean - even if I have to do in two batches.
I don't make or bake in the large quantity that the KC can handle well - and while it does small quantities equally as well (such as being able to whip one egg white) I feel that I ought to be making more to justify the clean up.
I enjoy having both - and find that one leads me to the other in use - rather like a slow cooker and a pressure cooker.
HTH.
Gillian
PS thinking and rereading your post - have you reviewed and posted about the recipes that you had challenges with?  There are certain speeds and times that need to be used (& not exceeded) to ensure success. Are you following a TMX recipe either directly or as inspiration for your conversion/inspiration?
This way you'll get Feedback and help from Everyone here and may find that you delay your financial outlay on a stand mixer.  My view is that if I'd had the TMX first I'd not have bothered with the stand mixer.
HTH
Regards
Gillian 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:46:55 pm by teagg »

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:40:06 pm »
I had my kitchen aid mixer and food processor before I got my TMX and i used to use them all them all the time but rarely use them these days only if I'm making an Italian meringue (where you add the sugar syrup while the egg whites are whisking as I found its easier to do in the mixer than through the little hole in the TMX) or when I just need a second appliance because I'm doing too many things at once.

I'm not very successful in converting recipes for the TMX so I generally just use TMX recipes found in the EDC or on this forum
I do the best I can

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »
I have had my KA about 10 years now and still love it for baking and now for making pasta, thanks to JulieO.  I do a lot of baking and some recipes need the KA for success, pavlova and large cakes that need a big mixing bowl.  I love my TMX for quick cakes, cupcakes and pastry doughs.

That being said if I had the TMX first I probably wouldn't have gone to the extra expense of a KA, a basic mixer will make cakes and the KA is designed for a lot more with added attachments.  I use the KA for mincing meat as I have the mincer attachment which works better than TMX for mincing.  These attachments aren't cheap so once again ask yourself would you use them or are you just after a cake mixer.

All that being said I wouldn't part with either of them and to me they are my complete kitchen appliances  :D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:13 am »
I've had my KA for about 15 years and wouldn't dream of parting with it. I don't make a lot of cakes and baked goods but do prefer some of them made in the KA to the TMX, it just depends on the recipe. I also find the KA much easier to scrape the dough out of than the TMX and when making biscuits in the TMX find I need to scrape the mixture into a bowl first whereas with the KA I can work directly from the bowl. I also have the pasta attachments for the KA and we love using those. Not sure if i would purchase a KA if I already had a TMX although as I've said I still use mine a lot.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:31 am »
I have my thermomix and my kitchen aid.
I use the KA for egg whites, or large christmas cakes, ect.

I use my thermomix every day, and all weekend.. :D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 12:46:04 am »
I bought my Kitchenaid before I bought the TMX.

Same here.
I chose kitchen aid because of the extra attachments available....and well, most importantly....it was pink  :P
You will find Aleisha that the TM is capable for your baking....check the varied recipes here.
In saying that, I have a handful of recipes that just don't like being Thermorised, so I use the mixer....including for all meringue!

I would suggest you use the TM for a while first, then decide if you really need the mixer.
You don't have to spend as much on a KA, there are many other makes that will do the jobs you are wanting, for less $$$.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Gagingi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 09:08:02 pm »
Hi

I have both. I love my Thermomix and it got me on a real cooking roll, so a few months later I purchased KitchenAid on special. I've used it twice and it has not lived up to expectations. I strongly suggest you really think twice about the KA - I am thinking of ebaying mine (but am struggling with the $$$ I know I've lost).

A lot of parts aren't dishwasher friendly; the vegetable chopper attachments destroy veges and come out with grey goop attached (which I'm worried is metal from attachments); ice-cream maker is so so, but soooo expensive; it takes up a lot of space; meringue is just as easy (if not easier in the Thermie) and really KA doesn't have much to recommend it - though it is a pretty red...

I use my Thermomix every day, I make cakes, biscuits and muffins - and ice-cream is chef quality. I think the key is to master the Thermomix and use and tweak the thousands of recipes that are available online.

Good luck!

Offline Thermo Mrs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 11:05:42 pm »
I received my Kitchenaid as a gift a few years ago. I didn't think I would get much use out of it after I got my TMX, but I do. IMO it is superior for making cakes, biscuits, pavlovas and mousses. In saying that, I still make some biscuits and cakes in the TMX if they are a TMX recipe. I love the way my KA creams butter and sugar, I've never been able to get my TMX to replicate the way my KA does it. I love the vintage industrial look of my KA  :)

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 01:30:33 am »
Like many of the previous commenters I have both. The Kitchen Aid came as a gift about six years ago and I have the pasta roller attachment and the ice cream maker bowl. I really like the way the Kitchen Aid does pasta and would really miss that function if I didn't have it. Certainly use the thermothingy more frequently than the Kitchen Aid though.  If the expense of the Kitchen Aid isn't an obstacle then go for it!