Author Topic: Household hints & tips to save money  (Read 148510 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: Household hints & tips to save money
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2011, 11:49:02 pm »
Kerryn - oh yuk, I am with you regarding smell sensitivity, esp mould etc.  Try soaking with about 1/2 cup white vinegar in water and then wash putting vinegar in both wash and rinse cycles  :)   :)  I can imagine the wonders of this forum will give the solution that works perfectly, but in the meantime try the vinegar on a few items.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2011, 01:47:33 am »
For your mouldy smelling clothes johnro wash when with a cup of  vinegar in the wash water and then add another cup to the rinse water. You might need to do this a couple of times. then wash again with detergent. If the clothes still have mould spores on them, take then outside and brush mould spores off, leave in the sun to dry out before washing, this helps to kill the mould spores.
I remember those days of living in the tropics and finding mouldy wet kids clothes  >:(
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 03, 2011, 06:48:50 am »
Krryn how horrid. I am very sympathetic with your comment re sensitivity to smells. I have a rotten attack of hay fever today and even the cold smell of the fridge is making me sneeze. I think it's the easterly winds we have been having.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 03, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »
Just thought I'd let you know that I tried the Vinegar in the wash (instead of fabric softener). DH is a mechanic and his clothes generally smell of grease and petrol, even after washing. But today there was no yukky smell. They smelled like new.

thanks girls for another great tip.

DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2012, 03:44:42 am »
Does anyone have a tip about what to do if after you've washed the clothes you'e discovered bits off tissue everywhere?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:57 am »
use masking tape to whip it off, or get one of those lint rollers. You could maybe try shaking clothes hard outside, and then moistening a flannel to try and scrape it off? Make sure you show the person responsible what happens so it "might" not happen again.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2012, 04:06:04 am »
Tasty, the way I do it is chuck the clothes in the dryer! The tissue goes into the filter!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2012, 01:57:32 am »
thanks creampuff - i was hoping there was an even simpler method where i could rewash and add something that somehow collects it all for me. wishful thinking perhaps

hools - like your idea but unfortunately i don't have a dryer  :(

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2012, 03:17:07 am »
Hi I've been reading all these great tips using bi-carb and vinegar.  Can some one suggest somewhere I can buy in bulk in the south east Melb area.  Given I'm doing a load of nappies and kids clothes everyday this would be a great cost saver.  Thanks

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2012, 03:26:58 am »
Keiramax, not sure of any shops in your locality, but you could try googling "green" shops, i.e. shops that provide environmentally safe products.  I know I got a bucket of bicarb from a shop on Brunswick Street in Fitzroy a couple of years ago, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the shop.  See how you get on with google, there should be something there.  You could also try contacting Friends of the Earth (they have a shop on Smith Street, Collingwood, I know that, but they may have other shops elsewhere or be able to make some helpful suggestions).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2012, 03:33:58 am »
Tasty, the way I do it is chuck the clothes in the dryer! The tissue goes into the filter!

Yup that is the way I used to do it too, you also only need to have it on the airing or cool cycle. Doesn't take long and works a treat  :) Now that I have a front loader I don't have that problem as it doesn't shred anything that I miss. You just find the tissues in a ball in the pocket  ;D

Short of rewashing Tasty I don't think you have an easy option with out the dryer.

Mine rarely gets used these days, I do think of parting with it and then something will happen (sickness etc) and I am glad that I still do have it. Mine is an auto sensor dryer so turns off when the clothes are dry and that helps eliminate my guilt a little when I do use it  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2012, 03:59:07 am »
Keiramax - do you use MCN's?

Faffa - I have a front loader too but it still does it. I checked everywhere before putting the clothes in the wash and the only place would've been my husband's shorts but where on earth did that tissue hide?

Also, if I rewash will it actually get rid of the tissue pieces do you think?

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2012, 04:52:29 am »
Yes to the MCNs  They work well and are cheaper

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2012, 08:06:05 am »
Can some one suggest somewhere I can buy in bulk in the south east Melb area.

A quick google found that asian grocery stores and Bunnings quite often sell bicarb in bulk. I also found 1 & 2kg buckets on another site for horse supplies. Apparently it improves their performance by delaying the onset of fatigue (useless fact there) so if there are any of these types of shops in your area it might be worth a phone call.

Also there was a discussion here about making your own vinegar.

Offline abbirodrigez

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2012, 08:32:30 am »
Shampoo & conditioner

I am sick of squeezing the shampoo bottle and getting 3 times as much as I need to wash my hair (DH says I am too heavy handed but I'm sure this happens to others) so I decided to decant it into a pump action container to regulate the quantity a lot easier. 

I always mix mine with a little water because my scalp is too sensitive-also extends the life of my shampoo! Thanks for the tips from everyone in this thread, too.