Author Topic: choux pastry pg 119 -failure  (Read 23450 times)

Offline whats4t

• View Profile
choux pastry pg 119 -failure
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:31:43 am »
My daughter attempted the profiteroles and got a consistency similar to runny custard - and threw it away. I looked at the ratio of flour to water and compared it to other cookbooks. I think 250 water : 150 plain flour is out of proportion. Has anyone had success with the recipe from the everyday cookbook?  I am going to try it again using Donna Hay's recipe.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: choux pastry pg 119 -failure
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »
I'd suggest switching them, 250 Flour and 150 water....

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:54:39 pm »
sorry, i've never made it
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:34 am »
Sorry, haven't made in the TMX, but the ratio of flour to water sounds ok.  It is a soft pastry mix that can be piped out of bags for eclairs etc.

I will endeavour to try the recipe and report back. 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline whats4t

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:44:34 am »
Thanks, for the advice,
I tried again with with  a little less water 1cup of water and 1 cup flour :(. still no good- and I kept cooking for 14 minutes, then the butter started to separate out.  I'm thinking maybe 100degrees is not hot enough, because I have had no trouble making choux  pastry on my cooktop.  Or it could be the flour was not "strong" enough - it is Anchor Lighthouse brand. I ended up adding a fair bit of cheese to the mixture and blobbing  it on a tray, it got eaten!

Offline Soni@

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:49 pm »
Hello everybody!
I've checked the Choux pastry on the Portuguese book and it seems to be the same: 250g water, 160g flour (+ 100g butter etc).
This seems to work, you can check the pictures here (Profiteroles recipe):

http://www.forumbimby.com/forum/index.php?topic=672.0

I hope it helps.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
I also had a failure with this recipe but not so much in the mixture as that seemed perfect.  It seemed more to do with the cooking temperature or time perhaps as, although they were crisp when they came out of the oven, they still had some clumps of uncooked dough inside when I went to fill them and they quickly went soft once filled which good profiteroles don't do.  My sister in law is the queen of profiterole making and she told me she starts the temperature on 200oC for 15-20 minutes then cuts it back to 180oC for the rest of the cooking time. Some recipes say to leave them to cool in the turned off oven with the door ajar.  I'm sure someone out there has got this recipe under control and can let us know the correct way to achieve it. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 01:20:22 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Karonjulie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:08:59 am »
I made these the other week and they turned out great...yes even a surprise to me!!!!   I made the custard and chocolate sauce also out of the every day cook book and they were yummmmy :P

The consistency was nice and firm, my only problem was how big a dobs I put on the making tray.  I will  make again following the exact recipe ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »
I'm not sure which recipe book you're using, but I have an old one and my recipe has 150g water and 80g flour. If doubled, this would be 300 water and 160 flour, which sounds like the correct ratio.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:57:20 pm »
Thanks for reminding me of another unfinished task  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
My daughter attempted the profiteroles and got a consistency similar to runny custard - and threw it away. I looked at the ratio of flour to water and compared it to other cookbooks. I think 250 water : 150 plain flour is out of proportion. Has anyone had success with the recipe from the everyday cookbook?  I am going to try it again using Donna Hay's recipe.
I have 2 recipes from Spanish books, one which appears to be the same as the Portuguese 160g flour, 250g water, 100g butter, but in the special dessert and pastry book (that I got for Valentines  ;D ;D ;D) it differs...

130g water
120g milk
100g butter
pinch salt
5g sugar
160g flour
4 medium eggs (250g approx)

First mix milk, water, butter, salt & sugar 5 mins, 90º Speed 2
Add flour, 15 seconds, Speed 4. Leave to cool, removing jug from THX for 5 to 10 mins.
Place jug in place and program Speed 4 , and add one egg at a time through the hole at the top.
Place in pastry bag and pipe out.

Hope this helps, maybe it works easier with milk??? ??? ??? ???
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 04:50:51 am »
Thanks to JD - reminded of this task - I did make the GF profiteroles and all worked out OK.   BUT I didn't let the mix cool before adding the eggs, because i never did with regular choux recipes.  Just added them to the machine one at a time while the machine was running on speed 4 and allowed each to mix well before adding the next.

Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 06:46:59 am »
They look pretty damn good to me Thermomixer.  Well done - great photography too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 08:59:20 am »
wow!!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 12:39:32 pm »
Yum!   ;D