Author Topic: Mince recipes and browning of mince  (Read 13794 times)

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
Mince recipes and browning of mince
« on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:54 am »
I'm after tips to get that browned/fried off taste you get when you do your mince recipes on the stove as opposed to in the TMX.  The TMX keeps tasting like boiled mince lol.  I chop and fry the onion and garlic first, then add the mince and cook as per recipes (ie bolognaise in EDC) but cant get the "cooked" taste happening.

Any tips?
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mince recipes and browning of mince
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:37 am »
Maybe try using varoma temperature Lexi.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:46 am »
I have been using Varoma, but am thinking mine ends up boiling in too much juices maybe before we even get to the add stock part the recipe?  It always looks awfully wet

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:27:31 am »
have you tried frying the mince with a little oil 1st  Lexi, not that i have :-)), just wondering if it would be better

i have 5 kg of mince coming tomorrow i will give it ago.

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:51 am »
I don't think there is a big enough surface area in the bottom of the TMX to fry the meat without creating too much liquid. My only suggestion would be to try small amounts at a time.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:07:53 am »
I agree - otherwise, I normally brown off mince etc on the stove first then bung it in the TM. Same with the pressure cooker- brown batches of meat first then add wet ingredients.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:32 am »
I think we just need to accept that some dishes taste a bit different when prepared in thr Thermomix (e.g. Steamed vs pan fried salmon). You'll never get that umami caramelised flavour that comes from frying with high heat.  Therefore if you want that flavour, quickly brown the mince on the hob and carry on with the rest of the recipe in the Thermomix.  Have fun!
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 06:02:46 am »
:) Ws trying to cut down dishes lol and yes I agree some dishes I'll need to fry mince on stove first for that cooked taste :) thanks, so it's not my thermo as such :)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:06:35 am »
Probably too late to respond to this thread.  I was wondering if you are mincing your own meat.  I found pre-minced beef to have quite a high water content whereas that you mince yourself is better.  Thing is I always managed to "stew" my mince on the stovetop due to the water coming out of it.  I haven't found it tastes weird in the TM - guess that's personal taste isn't it.

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:14:13 am »
Not too late, I'm frypanning these days :)  Ok using preminced meat from butchers, never thought about water content.  Thanks for that idea

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:57 am »
I'll chime in too and make a comment about the at times extraordinary amount of water that seems to come from the meat over here 5"(versus back in the uk). I haven't managed to work out whether it changes if I buy more expensive or even organic meat. But it's a right pain!!!
If anyone else has any suggestions....
G

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:03:37 pm »
I buy top quality mince from Foodland and don't have a water problem. I make sure the TM bowl is heated though before adding the mince (usually have cooked onion, garlic etc first at varoma temperature).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.