Author Topic: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .  (Read 33477 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2012, 06:33:29 am »
i hope u left it out GHM
Oops, it was getting late, I put in fridge it is now in a warm place. Will try to put back in TMX to redo! I presume I leave to come back to room temp before I do that Chookie?
Yes.  TReat it like a baby.  Keep it warm and well fed and it will grow.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:26 pm »
Sounds like it has used up ll it's energy.  Tip it out of the tin and put it in the TMX and knead in enough flour to make a stiffer more bread like dough.  Probably needs another 100g of flour to get it going.  May have to add aLITTLE water.   Put back in tin,  spray with water, cover,  leave on bench to double.
Or turn mixture into pancakes.

Let us know

I put back into TMx and added flour
, it turned into a sticky dough with the consistency of bubble gum, still didn't rise!! Was very difficult to clean up the bowl.  This one beat me, GHM 0 sour dough 1 ......but,     I'll be back! Just didn't have any more time to spend on making another again today.  Maybe my starter wasn't quite mature enough.

a question, now my starter is a baby again ( there is about 1/2 cup remaining) do I feed with tablespoon od flour and water or can I go half a cup of each???

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2012, 07:31:43 pm »
GHM,  There is something wrong here.  Chuck the lot and start again.  I will post you some starter if you like.   let me know.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22:54 am »
GHM,  There is something wrong here.  Chuck the lot and start again.  I will post you some starter if you like.   let me know.

Hi Chookie, thanks for your kind offer, I will give it another go once my baby starter has grown again.  If I still cant get it right I will let you know.

Thanks again for all you advice and spreading all your sourdough love :))

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2012, 02:27:42 am »
GHM,  no problem.  My pleasure.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2012, 07:29:24 am »
If I was home I would have given you some GHM. I'm sure it will work this time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2015, 07:33:14 am »
I have made this successfully a couple of times now. It has been so cold overnight that I just left it on my bench all night and baked it first thing in the morning. Thanks Chookie.

"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2015, 09:10:01 am »
It looks yummy. I can just taste it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 09:17:02 am »
ES that does look good.  Love the holes where the butter can sink in.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2015, 12:53:42 pm »
Taking advantage of our hot weather yesterday I decided to make a Sour Dough Loaf using this method of Chookie's.Well what a laugh I had.After leaving it for the 3 hours as started in the method it started overflow.I couldn't rest it overnight in the fridge..I had to cook it there and then.So on went the oven at 8pm to cook it.I was rewarded with a fabulous loaf.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline ANNEUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2015, 06:13:02 pm »
This looks great, but I have a question about the starter. You use 400g of starter? Do you always keep that amount of starter on the go? Or do you build it up over a day or two?

I make a sourdough loaf a couple of times a week. I know I don't use very correct methods, so sometimes the loaf doesn't rise too well, but it usually does...

(I keep my starter (probably about 300g) in a spring top jar in the fridge. I put about 120-150g into thermomix with about 350g flour, some salt, and enough water to make a middlingly soft dough (2.5 minutes of kneading). Then I put that in a mixing bowl with a shower cap on it overnight on the counter.  In the morning, I use wet hand to fold dough over 4 times and flop it into a round cake tin lined with a floured paper cake liner. When it's risen 'a bit', I turn on oven with a Le Creuset pot in it for 30 minutes. When it's heated up, I carefully lift the loaf in its paper thing into the Le Creuset, put lid on and bake for 30 minutes, then for another 15 minutes with lid off. 

I feed the starter to replace the volume I took out, and put it back in the fridge.  Sometimes, I feed it extra to later make to crumpets or flatbreads or stuff)

My issue is that I would love the loaves to get a bit more 'oven shock', as I love that torn crust look.  Should I be building up a bigger starter, and then use more in each loaf?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2015, 12:18:39 am »
It's good to see you put the heat wave to good use Denise, is that your best sour dour loaf ever? It certainly looks good.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2015, 12:31:16 am »
CC, I had to laugh. I had the same problem when I put the overnight dough to rise in the lounge room where the fire was going. You managed a great result. Congratulations.
AnneUK. I don't think that there is any perfect method and yours sounds pretty good to me. I mostly don't get oven spring but a little rise when in the oven.  I try to prove it to max in tin before I place it in the oven.  I think the cracking on the top is due to a higher proportion of water in the dough.
If I could make a suggestion. With the overnight rise, do it in a lined bowl which is about the same size as the pot that you are heating in the oven. ( don't do a second rise). Lift the dough carefully from the bowl after overnight rise and carefully place it, liner and all, into heated pot and bake.
You could add more water to the mix as you are not going to knead it by hand.  I give my dough 4 minutes in the TMX.
Hope this helps.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2015, 06:38:33 am »
Denise what an awesome SD loaf.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2015, 09:06:02 am »
Thanks girls :-*
It's good to see you put the heat wave to good use Denise, is that your best sour dour loaf ever? It certainly looks good.
The best loaf to date Judy. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.