Author Topic: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .  (Read 33526 times)

Offline kezza

• View Profile
Re: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »
Chookie, my loaf that I made with rye starter on Sunday looked just like Karen's.  The dough was very sticky.  I used a mix of 300g bakers flour, 100g white spelt, 100g wholemeal spelt.  Do you think I should reduce starter to 200g as you suggested before, or do you think because I used 200g spelt that there was not enough gluten?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2012, 12:49:23 pm »
CP give it a go, or I can give you some starter. It is truly easy. If it 'goes to heaven' you can start again.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
Ok cookie, you can give me a starter at the next get together  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2012, 04:44:14 pm »
I like your story about the snowed-in family Chookie, brings back fond family memories:

Shortly after my Mom & Dad were married they moved to a small town in the backend of beyond where there was no shop to buy bread - you had to make your own. She followed the recipe in her cookbook but the two loaves she made just wouldn't rise. So in desperation she buried the dough in the garden and borrowed a loaf from Tannie Coetzee next door. That evening she guiltily accepted Dad's praises on her great loaf. Early in the morning Dad went to the loo (outside loo in those days) and came back chuckling about the two huge "mushrooms" that had grown overnight in the garden :o (one very embarrassed young wife!  :-[). Tannie Coetzee showed Mom how it's done and since then she produced great loaves every time. Still makes me smile  :D.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2012, 06:18:11 am »
Rogizola,  love this story.
CP,  give it a go. 

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:33 pm »
On Friday I spent a lovely afternoon visiting Judy and her DH, catching up and chatting about everything.  I was lucky to come away with a jar of starter that Judy had grew from Chookie's starter.

I made my first sour dough this weekend using this recipe and I didn't do a very good job.  I think my dough was far to wet.  My dough didn't rise at all yesterday in the hours before I placed it in the fridge.  I left it for a few hours today before baking it, it did rise a bit but not much.  The result was a more crumpet like texture than bread.

I'll try again next weekend, perhaps with one of the other sour dough recipes Chookie has posted. 
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2012, 01:17:27 pm »
Katie,  have another go.  As I have said to DD,  it usually takes 3/4 goes to get it right.  If it was easy,  everyone would be making it and it wouldn't cost $6 a loaf.  You will get it right.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »
I promise you we will get you there Katie - my first few efforts looked like yours too and sourdough seems so complicated.  It will still be like the blind leading the blind even though I finally made a successful loaf this week - believe me there were many unsuccessful attempts although having said that, I didn't realise it until I made a much better one  :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bingggo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2012, 01:13:35 am »
Great post :) anyone have any tips for applying this fridge method when using yeast rather than a starter? And spelt flour?

Cheers,
B

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2012, 05:33:12 am »
Hi Chookie I am so glad you are online. I am doing my very first sour dough loaf after reading all the information and nurturing my starter for two weeks.  I am doing this method you have here as I want my loaf tomorrow. I have just poured into the pan,  it was rather like cake batter consistency is that right????? Thanks

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2012, 08:02:30 am »
Yes, GHM,  it can look like that.  Will probably cook with a flat top.  Leave it out of the fridge until you go to bed to try and get it moving.  In the morning put it in the warmest spot you can find.  Don't cook it until it doubles.  Good luck.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2012, 04:01:26 pm »
my sour dough has been on then bench all day and has not risen at all, shall I put it in the fridge overnight or just leave it out?

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2012, 06:37:45 pm »
i hope u left it out GHM
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2012, 10:07:07 pm »
Sounds like it has used up ll it's energy.  Tip it out of the tin and put it in the TMX and knead in enough flour to make a stiffer more bread like dough.  Probably needs another 100g of flour to get it going.  May have to add aLITTLE water.   Put back in tin,  spray with water, cover,  leave on bench to double.
Or turn mixture into pancakes.

Let us know

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2012, 01:52:28 am »
i hope u left it out GHM
Oops, it was getting late, I put in fridge it is now in a warm place. Will try to put back in TMX to redo! I presume I leave to come back to room temp before I do that Chookie?