Author Topic: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .  (Read 33534 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Sourdough loaf, activated in fridge overnight .
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:37 pm »
AB,  I had 4 starters going over the weekend.  Ended up combining 2 as I had bread everywhere.  The interesting one was in the jar I had scraped out. I was about to wash the jar out, when I thought I would test to see how a tiny bit of starter would go.  Added water and flour and within a couple of hours ,  had a jar full of starter. 

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2012, 01:39:35 am »
Chookie as you are in Victoria too, do you keep your starters in a warm place, I have put them outside in the sun but will bring them in when it gets cold. Seeing as you can keep them in the fridge I'm confused as to whether they do need heat.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2012, 01:56:00 am »
AB, I'm certainly no expert on this - wait until Chookie (who does, in fact, live in Victoria) and / or JD come on, they will know better.  Getting back to me not being an expert - my understanding is that you keep it warm whilst you are feeding and 'growing' it, then when you have the quantity you want, you pop it into the fridge, which keeps it alive (viable?) until you need it again then you take it out of the fridge, bring it up to room temperature and go for it!  Hope I am right about that.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:53 am »
Thanks Marina, that is my understanding too I was just checking, I would like to just leave it outside for three days but i think it is too cold.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:24 am »
Yes Marina is correct.  You can do the whole process inside if you wish.  Warmth and food are what it likes best.  If it is cold,(out of the fridge,  it will still grow,  but very slow)  In the fridge it hibernates,  (like a bear, Ha)  Like yeast bread,  it likes 20/25 o best.  Likes to be stired, so when you add flour and water,  give it a good stir.
  AB,  posting your starter tomorrow. 

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2012, 03:25:14 am »
Thanks Chookie looking forward to receiving it it is only about 11 degrees here might go and bring the babies in.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2012, 04:31:36 am »
Thanks Chookie looking forward to receiving it it is only about 11 degrees here might go and bring the babies in.

Yes,  far too cold for them.  Put them by the fire.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:26:22 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:40 am »
AB, I'm certainly no expert on this - wait until Chookie (who does, in fact, live in Victoria) and / or JD come on, they will know better. 

Marina, I am certainly no expert in bread making.  Some questions I know the answers to but mostly I have no idea and have to do a lot of reading again myself to find the answer (or I pm Chookie who must get sick of me asking stupid questions  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:28 am »
Judy,  never sick of answering questions about bread making.  Just want everyone to enjoy making a good loaf.  I think you know more than you realize. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 06:35:46 am »
You are too kind Chookie.  You certainly have everyone enjoying their bread making experience - what would we do without you  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2012, 06:46:19 am »
I used to only make bread in the bread maker until we started all these bread making topics.  The bread from the TMX is much nicer, lighter and its not a silly square high tin.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2012, 10:45:20 am »
In cold places you could perhaps you sit the starter on a heated brewing pad?
http://www.allthingsbrewing.com/beer-brewing-equipment/heating/heater-pads

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:29 am »
Oh Consumerate I'm not that dedicated if these don't work I will wait until summer to do it again, Chookie is sending me some of hers so hopefully I will be on my way with that.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2012, 11:12:37 am »
How hot does it get?    Could place a cake rack over it and stand the starter on this.  Or a dehydrater on 50 o .

As long as you can get it warm during the day,  it will start to work. 

Years ago when I started making yoghurt,  I would wrap it in a baby blanket and place it on our hot water unit over night.   As long as you leave it at room temperature it should be fine. 
I think of a tale I read in an English Mag.  about a family snowed in .  The dad thought he would make bread with the kids to entertain them and give them some bread to eat.  They mixed and kneaded  and them left it to rise,  but nothing happened. At the end of the day,  dad through it in the bin,  Next morning when he went to put something in the bin,  there was a lovely loaf of risen dough.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
I'm not a big bread eater. I just like 1-2 slices of a loaf but get a huge thrill out of watching a loaf grow. When i make a loaf i could look at in wonder and talk about how gorgeous it looks whilst its a full loaf. I would love to try the sourdough but am a little hesitant about feeding obligations.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand