Author Topic: Buy on eBay - Warranty not transferrable  (Read 10965 times)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
Buy on eBay - Warranty not transferrable
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:34:19 am »
Just wanting to point out to anyone contemplating doing so that purchases of Thermomixes on eBay - even if they say they have a warranty - DO NOT.  Warranties are not transferrable within Australia or from overseas.  Warranty cannot even be transferred between family members eg if mother buys for daughter & it is in mothers name, warranty stays with her.

Someone is about to pay over $1900 for a Thermomix package on eBay which states it's brand new but - unless it's coming directly from Thermomix in Australia - it is classified as second hand & has no warranty.

So, if you know someone contemplating this action - just get them to think again.  Firstly it will avoid any dramas & it might also dissuade people from scamming others this way.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Buy on eBay - Warranty not transferrable
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:33:08 am »
Good advice.Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:45 am »
I don't see why warranties can't be transferred between friends/family members; it isn't like any scamming would happen like that.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:37:53 am »
I can't believe anyone would sell one to begin with!  :P
Are they turning up on ebay often?  Would make you wonder if thieves will be on the look out for TM's,  instead of plasma's.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:31 pm »
Good idea to raise this JaneeZee.
I noticed one on ebay today that was being sold in Perth but had adapter plugs. Actually the seller has listed "3 available". I think I would be concerned as it mustn't have  come through TMX Australia. I'm not sure of the current price but the ebay prices don't seem too much cheaper so not worth the lack of warranty.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:29:48 am »
I love the sellers reply to a question......the one with the Australian converter and 3 machines for sale  :-)).........

Q:     Does this item come with any warranty?    12-May-11
A:     24 month european warranty. please keep in mind that the machine is great german quality workmanship and will prob last you a llifetime. i had mine for over 9 years and never had any problems. if however you have a problem, any qualified electrician should be able to help you here or even thermomix australia. regards

Kind of makes you want to contact the possible buyer and warn them  :-\
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:11 am »
Well no doubt the person who bought it is terribly chuffed with themself - but allow me to burst your bubble new owner (in case they find us here!).  You have just paid $2000 for a Thermomix with a recipe book, a Thermoserver & a Bread Mat.  For just the "price" of having someone come to your home, show you how to use it, have them cook you & three friends a 6 course meal you could have got what you got for $1999 WITH  a warranty & on-going support.  Lets hope you don't have to pay postage as well to receive your "bargain".

Not surprisingly the seller chose not to respond to my question about the warranty.

There have been stories of them turning up broken when purchased from overseas like the one Maddy saw &, while we all think they're worth their weight in gold, most of us actually aren't prepared to pay quite that much!!!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:06:50 am »
Also I don't imagine that includes insurance!!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:15:34 am »
OMG, that poor, stupid person :(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:06 pm »
In France they havé a warning on their main site about puchasing anywhere but with their consultants as not only would it not be under warranty but there are alot of cases where they dont even receive thé item... Havé to say if someone is that stupid to not research thé item and just buy it on eBay they kind of deserve whats coming to them imo
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »
I think the thing with Ebay is the 'gamble' that you are getting the same thing cheaper than if you buy if from a shop (or consultant in this case).  I know that this is not true - I have never purchased from Ebay, but I know so many people who have and just about every one of them have had trouble with a purchase at one time or another, yet they still go back for more, it seems to be addictive so, I guess, they see this absolutely wonderful machine available at what seems to be a bargain price and they go for it without being aware of the pitfalls.

They may well be about to make a very expensive mistake.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:36 pm »
My DH is an ebay junkie and to a certain degree so am I, but this was one purchase that we did not even consider buying from ebay, even the second hand ones sell for around $1700 + postage, so why wouldn't you just buy a new one with all the full support from your TMX demonstrator.

He did check to see what they resell for though, just in case (oh I can hardly bring myself to say it) I don't like my TMX  :o
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 05:40:53 am »
DH and I have used ebay for years for certain objects so nothing against it just would NEVER consider using it to buy an item like the Thermomix..what i meant by stupidity is like knittecook mentioned paying pretty much the same price anyway without all the support behind it and would also never spend that kind of money on somewhere like ebay... :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/