Author Topic: Should I become a consultant?  (Read 116935 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Should I become a consultant?
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2011, 08:35:42 am »
Yes, well done Ted.  Let us know how your first demo goes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »
Good on you Ted - we need more blokes!!!

To Kate 84 can I tell you that this is the sort of business - much like many - where the more you put in the more you get out.  I have finally trained as a GL (like Quirky Jo) & I'm enjoying the new challenge.  If I had been put off by all the disappointments I'd have missed some amazing experiences along the way.  I love helping people find out about & get a handle on the Thermomix.

Good luck to all of you out there contemplating becomming consultants - we sure could do with the help!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2011, 12:11:58 pm »
Congratulations JZ - ah so that is why you are so busy these days  ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2011, 12:18:23 pm »
Good on you JZ - we need more group leaders too  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:12 pm »
Good on you Ted - we need more blokes!!!

To Kate 84 can I tell you that this is the sort of business - much like many - where the more you put in the more you get out.  I have finally trained as a GL (like Quirky Jo) & I'm enjoying the new challenge.  If I had been put off by all the disappointments I'd have missed some amazing experiences along the way.  I love helping people find out about & get a handle on the Thermomix.

Good luck to all of you out there contemplating becomming consultants - we sure could do with the help!!!

I think the problem which arises is that some people put their hearts into becoming a consutant because they believe the thermie is a wonderful product, which it is, but they just don't get anywhere with it, so they are in a worse off position.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2011, 02:17:29 pm »
Thanks Judy & Kathryn - yep, flat out these days but loving it!  I sometimes feel guilty that I don't "welcome" everyone onto this forum like so many of the regulars do but I accept that I choose to use my time differently.  I love the forum & recommend everyone to it.

Thermoheaven - & all other "doubters" - noone is ever "worse off" for giving this a go. I'm not certain what your measure of better/worse is but at worst you find out more about your TM & rub shoulders with some incredible people who are very knowledgeable about food & cooking it in the Thermomix.  If you're open minded enough you learn a lot about yourself.  Anyone not feeling like they are having success only has to ask for some help - & it's all around.  It's not for everyone & that doesn't mean the business is not a good one any more than it means you are not a good person for trying. It's like the old saying about how people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime........for some of us the TM business offers a solution (like being able to afford a Thermomix), for some the business lasts for a while & circumstances change so we move on, others are in it for the long haul.  The wonderful thing about decisions is that we are all entitled to make them & just as entitled to change our minds!!!

I wouldn't recommend anyone takes this on without really investigating whether it's the right decision FOR THEM.  If you have a strong reason to do it & support from home then it's much more likely to be a success.  Part of the role of a GL is to help someone make that decision in the first place by challenging them to work out if it really is the right business for them.  It's in everyone's interests that new consultants are successful & motivated so none of us would want anyone coming in just to see them fail!

As I said before - good luck to anyone contemplating becoming a Thermomix consultant - wherever in the world you are............

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2011, 02:56:05 pm »
Great message JaneeZee :) It certainly is about getting out what you put in.. And certainly, just as with all jobs & careers, it's not for everyone. There's no such thing as "failing" as a consultant. It's either the thing for you or it isn't.. Or it may be for a while & then, as you said, life circumstances change... But in the meantime, it can be a wonderful experience.

Congratulations on becoming a GL!! I hope the passion continues & you pass it on..

Karen
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »
It's like the old saying about how people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.......

This is one thing that I also believe in, and if trialling a TM consultant seems to be convenient and economic solution for you why not.

If you already have a machine I would go with this option, the cheaper the outlay the better for you. Please also note, that these contracts you enter into will ultimately benefit the other party FIRST  should you not sell the minimum in that time. Before committing, I would also suggest that you get together some names of people willing to have a demo at their house.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:06:32 pm by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2011, 09:29:09 am »
Congratulations JaneeZee.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2011, 06:56:43 am »
Congrats Janee!!  ;D  Love your reply - I totally agree!!! Whether you are a consultant short term or long term, you've got to benefit from it. I sure have!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »
the girl who sold me mine certainly isn't a tm consultant anymore.

I think it's perfectly understandable that some people only take on the role of consultant until they have sold their six to get their own Thermomix.  That's a legitimate way of "buying"a Thermomix.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2011, 05:41:45 am »
Over the past two days, I have read every word on this thread.  It is so interesting!!!!  I became a Tupperware consultant just for a giggle.  Not for the money, as I had a full time job already but seriously just for fun.  My consultant kept telling me to give it a go so I did.  In the year or so I did it, I sold some crazy amounts of Tupperware.  It was/is so easy to sell and almost everyone buys something no matter their financial situation because there is always the potato masher which I think is $10!!!  I went into it with my eyes completely open, did the minimum demos required, found out what would happen if I didn't and just "paid for my kit" up front, which I was more than happy to do if it all go too hard.

I am lucky that our TMX purchase was relatively easy also and I completely understand that it is a very expensive item so it far more a financial investment that a set of microwave safe containers.  I know that TMX really sells itself and the proof was when Ed saw it in action and it was a done deal.  But I do worry that I might demonstrate something to someone as a life changing appliance (which it truly is) knowing that it is worth perhaps two months salary and the money may be better spent elsewhere. 

Living in Germany has been an eye opening experience for me.  There is very little credit available and people pay cash for almost everything.  Our VISA card gets automatically cleared from our account at the end of the month so there is no rolling credit and interest charges which is an extremely positive thing.  Our TMX consultant would never have taken a credit card number, nor does Vorwerk.  We received a bill for the entire amount with the machine when it was delivered by courier and we have a few days to pay it in full.  How does it work in Australia?  Does a consultant take a credit card?  As I mentioned above, I might feel guilty allowing someone to buy something that they really cannot afford.

All that being said, I am extremely interested in the work of the consultant here in Germany and I will make some inquiries this weekend.  It seems that the demonstrator does little else other than an initial demonstration in the home and goodbye.  There is no delivery nor Varoma demonstration so it appears to me much easier and much less demanding on my time.  I, on the other hand, may continue to make contact after the machine has arrived to see how the customer is going, celebrate a little by congratulating them on the purchase and showing them various forums for recipes and perhaps even creating a newsletter, which I believe many of you have done.   Perhaps being a consultant over here is not as much fun as Australia?  It certainly sounds easier though.

So, morals to this long brain drain:
Tupperware is easy and fun and great and makes tonnes of money
I am going to find out more about becoming a TMX consultant over here and sell tonnes of machines!

xxx

;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2011, 06:57:55 am »
good luck with it lee....France is very similar except now you can pay in 10 times through your bank account as another payment option although most people i know prefer to pay up front in one go....it sounds very familiar re credit etc as here...credit cards are mainly debit cards so get cleared at the end of each month which i prefer as i know how easy it is to run up true credit cards lol and credit here is not easy to get anyway...alot get refused...our cleaner wants to buy a car but because of her salary nobody wants to give her any credit and its like that for alot of people where as in other countries like oz they are practically handing it out (meaning its a hell of a lot easier to get than here...here if you dont have at least 3 and a half times the amount in income that you are wanting to borrow, rent etc then they will refuse it and most people dont even have double....im very lucky that DH has a good job so we arent too bad...anyway lee good luck with it...will be interesting to see what you find out.....here also consultants just do demos to sell or for the host to get their free book and hopefully sell, plus they go to each guests house to do a recipe of their choice and once sold we hardly see our consultants but have email and mobile numbers to contact them if need be but any technical issues have to go through head office or any items to be purchased...they have it pretty easy and like you said the thermomix sells it self...either people want it or they dont...two of my friends have bought one and I have only had two demos...and lee I wouldnt feel guilty about people being able to afford it...people are in charge of their own decsicions and whether or not they can afford it...in any case they could always become a consultant to pay for their machine which costs them nothing but time  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:54 am »
Lee, I'm sure you would make a great demonstrator - firstly, you love the machine and what it can do for you and secondly, you have a great sense of humour and even if you don't sell anything, people will get a darn good laugh at your parties  :D :D :D :-* :-*

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:50 pm »
I totally agree with frozzie and jd, you have such an infectious personality leesmac that you would be a great consultant. I can see why you were successful with tupperware. you are correct in the fact that the TM is a life changing appliance, and I don't think that you should feel guilty if someone who appears to not be able to afford it buys one. Why? because they are prepared to sacrifice the outlay in order to change their life for better health and dietary choices. Go for it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand