Author Topic: Coconut oil  (Read 99173 times)

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
Re: Coconut oil
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
I use coconut oil for mouth feel in certain things, great as Jo says in place of butter. It is unique in that it will be solid below about 18-19oC. Can be kept in fridge, never really goes rock hard.
My last two recipes have used it.
http://tenina.com
Jude Blereau uses it a lot.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »
Thanks, Tenina.  I think I was being blind when I went to your blog, as I couldn't see the recipes which used coconut oil.  Which ones are they, please?  (It's probably 'cos I got distracted by the fudge  :-)) )
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 07:17:27 pm »
The saturated fat in coconut oil is mostly medium chain fatty acids, which are pretty healthy - they are anti-microbial and anti- other nasties. These types of saturated fat are very good for the immune system, are a very good source of energy for the body and actually help increase the metabolic rate.

Saturated fat is more stable at higher temperatures (due to the lack of double carbon bonds, if anyone wanted to know!!) which means you have less nasty free radicals whizzing around causing damage to your cells when you use it in cooking.

Sorry, didn't mean to drone on, but certainly over here coconut oil still labours under a 'scary saturated fat' label!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »
You can also make a substitute for Beurre manié  using coconut oil.  It is simply equal parts coconut oil and flour (for those who must avoid wheat, other flours work - tapioca flour is excellent and the one I generally use, although I have used barley, oat, etc.).
You just knead the oil and flour until completely blended then form it into pellets.
I simply roll it into a long thin cigar shape and chop it crosswise into pieces, spread them on a sheet pan that goes into the freezer until they are frozen, then place them in a container and store in the freezer.  
If they are not first frozen individually they will clump together in the container.

When needed I remove some from the freezer early enough to allow it to come to room temp.  The pieces can be stirred into a hot or warm liquid and won't form lumps.  
For medium thickness - such as stew - five or six of marble-sized pellets, per half-liter of liquid, should produce the desired thickness.  It should be cooked at a strong simmer for 4-5 minutes and especially with tapioca, will thicken more when cooled but when re-heated will return to the less thick consistency desired for serving.  
You will have to experiment a bit but this is a good thing to have on hand for fool-proof thickening of just about anything.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 11:47:51 pm »
Thanks - I've never thought of freezing it  - usually just make enough when I need it.  The TMX can make big lots and then use your squashed cigar/snake bits to freeze then -thanks.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 12:05:30 am »
Drone away, Anne!  I loved the information, thank you.  And a very good tip, Andiesenji.  I'll give that a go at some point.

With DD having succumbed to some new virus which is apparently spreading all over the country (haven't been watching the news, so didn't know about it until someone told me tonight), and my body fighting hard not to succumb to it, I think we'd better crack out the  coconut oil tomorrow and do all our cooking in it.  We definitely need our immune systems boosting.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 03:36:00 am »

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2010, 06:26:11 am »
I buy mine here

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Coconut-Oil-pr-299.html

It is food grade :)
Wow, just compared their price to what I bought from the health food shop.  I paid $10 for 250g and the website is $12 for a kilo!
That's a bargain.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 08:12:56 am »
Yep :)

Check out the price of their food grade cocao butter  ;D

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2010, 09:15:47 pm »
Great! Thanks for that link!!  :)  But do you know if their coconut oil is extra virgin cold pressed organic or anything?  The brand I use (Spiral) is, and I love it.  It doesn't taste too strong, either.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:17:54 pm by quirkycooking »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 01:18:17 am »
Thanks, Tenina.  I think I was being blind when I went to your blog, as I couldn't see the recipes which used coconut oil.  Which ones are they, please?  (It's probably 'cos I got distracted by the fudge  :-)) )
The 2 recipes Tenina refers to CarolineW are the Nutty caramel popcorn with pretzels and chocolate & the Coconut banana fritters are fried in it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 03:32:23 pm »
Thanks, Judy.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 01:25:41 am »
Hi Caroline
Probably a little too late, but in our family if anyone is feeling a little low or needing an immunity booster there is always a call for "help I need some parsley juice please".  The recipe is in the edc book in drinks section. We have modified it a little but my kids really love it (even with it being bright green :P :P) and last winter we often had 3-4 serves of it a week and barely had a sniffle - even with the dire threats of swine flu around.  I use half the suggested ice (150g) and just juice a lemon or 2 into it (just because it is quicker and produces a smother juice).  I also add a couple of tbls of raw organic honey (like cocnut oil it has fantastic anti everything properties).  This gives is a pleasant sweetness and makes my kids want more - dh too. :D :D. Parsley is fabulously rich in iron and loads of vit B's.  It's a great blood tonic.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 02:12:57 am »
Thanks earthmumma, I wouldn't have given this juice a second look until I read your posting but will now most definitely try it - just have to get myself some organic honey.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 03:52:38 am »
Yum, that sounds good, earth mumma!

I buy mine here

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Coconut-Oil-pr-299.html

It is food grade :)

Crone, I bought that coconut oil, and I don't think it's the proper good stuff!!  It's very 'generic' tasting - tastes like nothing - and every organic cold-pressed coconut oil I've tasted has a little bit of a coconut flavour (not too strong, but you can taste it)... I'm thinking it's probably not cold-pressed.  I'm not going to use it in food, I think I'll just make soap with it, and stick with the Spiral brand of coconut oil!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.