Author Topic: Recipe Review - Blueberry Eton Mess - Baby & Toddler Book p184  (Read 10378 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Yum! Yum! Yum! Why has no one ever told me how good these taste??!!

This is my first attempt at meringues. I usually have an aversion to meringues and pavlovas and that kind of stuff and I could never understand why there were so popular......I think I understand now! Must've just had bad experiences.

I followed the instructions exactly. I almost skipped the part about doing a vinegar water clean first but since I had to bring some leftover egg whites to room temperature.....I thought I may as well. The only reason I made this recipe is because I had leftover egg whites and cream from making portugese custard tarts. I had 5 leftover and worked it out that 3 egg whites must equal about 100g. I'm not sure what meringues are meant to look like if they're good or if they've failed but these tasted delicious so I'm assuming they worked out!

I didn't make the blueberry sauce recommended but rather just heated up blueberries and maple syrup quickly in a small frypan.

So all up it takes at least 2.5 hours to make these. Oh and I used caster sugar instead of grinding up raw sugar too.

Definitely worth making. If you serve 6 they make rather large servings and I had two of these so I'm feeling very stuffed and kinda regret having the second now. Anyway, here is a photo:

Linked CC
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:46:03 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Blueberry Eton Mess - Baby & Toddler Book p184
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:09:21 pm »
I've not tried Eton Mess myself Tasty but that looks very tasty, no pun intended LOL
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:07 pm »
Looks lovely Tasty.  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:02:47 am »
I've never had Eton Mess either. I think it may have been invented when meringues or pavlova's break up. The ingredients would go really well together so I'm sure it would taste lovely.
The only time I have success with whipping egg whites in the thermomix is when I do the vinegar clean bit.  :)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:21 am »
I've never tried it either but yours looks yummy tasty.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:23:30 am »
Yum!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:23:03 am »
I love eton mess, I'll have to give it a go :) thanks for the review :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/