Author Topic: Recommendations for a good slow cooker recipe book?  (Read 9030 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a good slow cooker recipe book?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 02:57:04 am »
Be prepared to waste a lot of time browsing girls  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 03:15:43 am »
I just picked up this one from the supermarket

Haven't made anything from it yet, but the recipes read flavourful.

Jury is out on slow cookers for me I'm afraid  :-\  I love it's convenience, lamb legs & Mexican shredded beef cooked in it, but not too many other dishes have wowed me   :-\
The pressure cooker is a little the same...only 1 dish I have really loved  so far  :-\
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 04:02:38 am »
I'm the same as you Maddy with the slow cooker and haven't used mine in ages. I love the PC though and just bought another small one. We have found most things we've cooked in the PC has a better depth of flavour and texture to the meat. I also love rice and veggies in the pressure cooker.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 04:23:51 am »
I don't use alot of recipe books but use my slow cooker at the very least 3 times a week, I love it!
The Busy woman's slow cooker book would have to be my most used book ($10 from the post office)  :)
:D

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:14 am »
Mine is called Miss Vicki's something....... she has a great website too ...I love the book use it all the time lost of references not just recipes.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:50 am »
McMich - I managed to get a second hand copy of Margaret Fultons crockpot book, and look forward to trying some recipes from it.  I just noticed on Fishpond that she published a new Slow Cooking cookbook late last year.  Tempting.

Judy, I have already wasted too much time today either on the forum or on those websites.  I am supposed to be working  :-)) :-))

Wonder, I am still scared of my pressure cooker and havent used it in years  :-[ :-[    I can see that I am going to have to pick you brains about pressure cookers AND the tandoor oven on the way to chookies  ;)
Karen in Adelaide

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 06:24:53 am »
Karen Pressure cookers are so much better now than 20 years ago.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

mcmich

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 07:23:15 am »
That's good news Karen. I hope you enjoy it.  :D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2013, 01:39:42 am »
Lots to talk about Karen. I had never used a pressure cooker before getting the 5 in 1 and now have 3!! I think I'll be using the new one a lot more than the others because it's smaller and so easier to manage. I've never been in the slightest bit scared of using them and DH chose the new pc over the TMX to make risotto last night for dinner, all done from start to finish in only 15 minutes which including chopping onion, bacon and mushrooms and cooking - the actual cooking time was only 6 minutes.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2013, 02:10:28 am »
Wonder i have recently purchased the 6 in one, love the electric pressure cooker. So much more user friendly than the old sort. My equal second favourite kitchen machine- comes in with my kitchen aid mixer. Thermie first ofcourse
Denise

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:07 am »
Wonder, what is your favourite pressure cooker of the 3 you have?  I have an older stove-top one that I used to use on an electric hotplate, and I dont even know if it will work on our new induction cooktop.  Maybe I should trade that one in on a new electric pressure cooker?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 04:30:00 am »
Now that I've got used to the method of cooking my preference is definitely for the stove tops. I only use the 5 in 1 now if I want the timer function but use the Silit 8 ltr the majority of the time. Even though i haven't tried the new Kuhn Rikon frypan yet I think it will become my favourite unless I'm cooking something larger, the lower sides make it easier to brown before cooking, reducing liquid once the pressure cooking is finished and for doing rice and vegetable dishes. In hindsight I should have purchased the Kuhn Rikon 2.5lt and 6.0ltr set rather than the Silit or 5 in 1, but I didn't know much about them at the time.

http://ch.kuhnrikon.com/ch/en/products/duromatic/pressure_frying_pan.html#28bcec25-be6f-4776-9af6-53eab5dde5f7
http://ch.kuhnrikon.com/ch/en/products/duromatic/pressure_frying_pan.html#a52ae2e5-bfc1-4a40-be43-951dbf19f6f0

Offline ANNEUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 07:42:43 am »
I love my slow cooker, though don't use it enough - until now...

I found a great suggestion on a website recently (something to do with Mom and Baby), which makes slow cookers even more useful. You buy and prepare loads of slow cooker meals in one go (plan an evening surrounded by mounds of chopped veggies and industrial quantities of your chosen herbs and spices - not to mention meal!), pack meal-sized portions in labelled, ziplock bags and then flatten them as much as possible. They stack up beautifully in the freezer once frozen.

Then you go to the freezer in the morning, pick your stew and put it in slow cooker for the day. The writer cautioned that everyone's slow cooker is different, so it's a good idea to be around for your first go.

I did a pork, apple, sweet potato and carrot stew, with finely chopped onion and garlic. My label reminded me to add cider. I had chopped the veg quite big and they were cooked by the evening, but we all agreed that starting from frozen had quite an effect, and I would chop them smaller next time. I also needed to thicken my stew at the end, so would shake some flour ino the freezer bag next time.

But all in all, once you have found some favorite recipes, this is a great way to make your mornings go smoothly.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 08:25:27 am »
Great tips Anne,thank you.The pork stew sounds delicious ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 10:10:16 am »
Great ideas Anne, I tend to do quick meals through the week, and  slow cook, pressure cook, roasts on the weekends,
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url