Author Topic: Buying Rapadura and raw cacao powder in Melbourne  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Buying Rapadura and raw cacao powder in Melbourne
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:25:48 pm »
Hi all, I'm loooking at buying some rapadura and raw cacao powder and wondering if anyone in Melbourne knows of the best place to try.  Thanks

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Buying Rapadura and raw cacao powder in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:10:54 am »
I usually get mine either from the health food store on Smith Street, Fitzroy - near the Johnston Street corner.  Sometimes they have to get some in, but usually it's OK or the other place I use is Storm in a Teacup, up near our shop on Smith Street, this time the Collingwood side - it is between Gertrude/Langridge Street and Victoria Parade.  I have purchased some from one of the organic stalls at Vic Market, but it was from Columbia and it tasted foul - in fact, I threw it all out it was that bad.

I'm not sure about the raw cacao powder - the first place I would try for that would be Monsieur Truffe (yes, you've guessed it, on Smith Street again).  His shop is near the Langridge Street / Smith Street corner, next to the Japanese restaurant called Wood Spoon (even if he doesn't have what you are looking for, his chocolate is absolutely out of this world!).  The health food shop on Smith Street may also have some as I noticed last time I was in they have widened their range a bit in this area.

Good luck
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:01:17 pm »
I buy most of my cacao products from loving earth online at www.lovingearth.net
They are in Melbourne.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »
I think Loving Earth may now have a stand at Vic Market on Saurday mornings in the same area as the Organic vegetable stands.  I have walked past them a couple of times but I go early and they are not set up so I am not sure if it is them or not, but may be worth checking out.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:03 pm »
Thanks Marina and Kimmyh. I've had a look at the lovingearth website and might have to take a drive down to Fitzroy to have a look. I've been told our local health food shop is stocking a lot more products these days so will also try and go down there at lunch time.

Offline JenJan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:37 pm »
I think I've picked up both at Leo's supermarket in Hartwell. There's another Leo's in Kew I think. Also you could try Sunnybrook healthfood store in Ormond. Sunnybrook have an online store. :)

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:59 pm »
Hi Wonder
Check out http://2brothersfoods.com/
Last time I purchased 5kg rapadura, 2kg coconut flour, dried cherries and dried apricots (preservative free) it only cost $3.50 postage to Perth.
I found their prices quite reasonable.
And delivery was within a few days.

Rara x

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 02:23:34 pm »
Oops forgot to mention, I purchased cacao and cacao butter from lovingearth.com.au

Rara x

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:31 pm »
Thans everyone. I did end purchasing from the local health food store but noe remember why I rarely go in there - the service is hopeless and the owner quite red when I was asking for information on the products. I'll have a look at the online stores although there is also a Leo's down the street so might have a look there as well.