Author Topic: Bacalhau ŕ Brás (salted codfish)  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Trillium

• View Profile
Bacalhau ŕ Brás (salted codfish)
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:35:07 pm »
Hello TM'rs,

When I introduced myself I said that I've done this recipe and someone asked for it, well... here it is. It's from the basic Book of Portugal for the TM31 (Bimby - As receitas Essenciais). Sorry I don't have a picture of it, but I'm sure someone will put one when they try it (or I'll do that next time I make it)  ;)

After writing the recipe down, I realized that it's really not easy to put it all down, specially with translating and trying to explain the ingredients and all. So, please let me know if you tried it out and your experiences with this recipe. Oh, by the way, this is a very good recipe for people who don't really like fish.

Bacalhau ŕ Brás
Serves 6
Easy / Takes 13Min

Ingredients:
100g olive oil
400g onions
2 garlic cloves
300g bacalhau - desalted and without any bones and shredded into small pieces) * see note
200g small stick chips (they look like shredded cheese -- if you can't find them in the supermarket, you can always cut some potatoes very thinly and fry them) -
6 eggs
salt and pepper
fresh parsley
100g black olives

1. Place the olive oil, the onions, the garlic and program 5 Sec / Speed 5.
2. Then 5 Min / Varoma / Speed 1.
3. Add the codfish and program 5 Min / 100° /  :-: /  Speed  ^^
4. Put the potato chips, program 3 Min. / 100° /  :-: /Speed 2.
5. Now take that out of the bowl into a big frying pan and turn the heat on (not to high)
6. Without washing the bowl, put the eggs into the bowl and program 10 Sec / Speed 2
7. Pour the eggs over the rest, mix all very well, season with pepper and adjust the salt (the codfish is naturally already a bit salty, but if you use fresh fish you'll need some salt for sure)
8. Just before serving, add the olives and the sprinkle it all very generously with chopped parsley.

* Note:
Bacalhau - I've seen here somewhere written "bacalao" - well, it's dried and salted cod
If you can't find it, just use fresh cod (or frozen defrosted first).
If you buy it salted, you'll need to let it desalt by putting it in a big (really huge) bowl with water (don't put pieces on top of each other) -- lots of water; preferably with skin up and then, leave it for 24h changing once or twice the water. After this you can freeze it or cook it.
To take the skin and bones, it's better to first boil it for around 3 minutes, then the skin comes out really easy and the bones as well. You'll have then your cod ready to use in this recipe as when you take the bones it will end up being already in small pieces.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bacalhau ŕ Brás (salted codfish)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »
I think it is sold under the name of Baccala here in Australia Trillium - it looks very uninviting but I believe it is delicious.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:14 pm »
your right JD i have only seen it in italian delis. frank doesnt like it so i dont cook it, but my lovely MIL will send my some when she makes it, i love it
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Mama Fergie

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:59:55 pm »
I had some salted cod croquettes at tapas bar in queenstown and they were delish :D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:21 am »
I order this in restaurants I can trust. None here in Collingwood/Cairns though.

I made it once years ago but everyone hated it  but me.

Your MIL can send me some too UNI.
Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.