Author Topic: Bowl cleaning and steel wool.  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
Bowl cleaning and steel wool.
« on: July 04, 2012, 01:19:45 am »
As our bowls are made of high grade stainless steel, I was wondering if it would be possible to polish up the INSIDE of the bowl with good old fashioned steel wool.  I often  use it if there are marks on the inside of my stainless steel saucepans and also to polish my stainless steel sink.

Has anyone ever tried this, or is it a question that should be directed to HO?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:57:40 am by Merrilyn »
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Bowl cleaning and steel wool.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:43 am »
I use the steel pads for non stick saucepans and they work well, I have never used steel wool though but have often wondered the same question.  I reckon one of our consultants could tell us?
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
Re: Re: Bowl cleaning and steel wool.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:20:26 am »
I wouldn't as the heat sensors are on the base of the bowl inside and If they get damaged your temps would end up out of whack.
My bowl is 2 years old and hasn't needed any scouring I use bicarb vinegar paste for marks and one of those sponge scourers everywhere else. (Yellow sponge with blue on the back? )

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Re: Bowl cleaning and steel wool.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:45:53 am »
I wouldn't as the heat sensors are on the base of the bowl inside and If they get damaged your temps would end up out of whack.
My bowl is 2 years old and hasn't needed any scouring I use bicarb vinegar paste for marks and one of those sponge scourers everywhere else. (Yellow sponge with blue on the back? )
Same here! Bi-carb is the best. I use it on my stainless steel stove top and sink.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:06 am »
Bi carb and vinegar too
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 07:07:43 am »
I don't use vinegar very much. Bi-carb is alkaline and helps dissolve and clean acidic stains as well as provide the gentle scouring.
If you add vinegar, you're just bringing the pH back to neutral. It looks spectacular because it fizzes up, but I don't believe it does anything.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 07:19:13 am »
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant/antiseptic. That is what i have been led to believe. Would anyone be able to confirm that?

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:14:01 am »
I use bicarb & lemon juice or bicarb & vinegar.  Never use steel wool on them - a green scourer is the toughest we should go.

If you do a really "proper" job of getting stuff caught then I find "Gumption" paste to be brilliant.  Get it from the Supermarket, low down, in the area you'll find Cif/Jif & Ajaz type products.  Use it on all sorts of stainless steel, shower screens etc so I know it doesn't scratch.  It's also recommended by Head Office so must be OK.

Offline Rara1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »
I use a stainless steel scourer and gumption when my bowl needs a good clean.
Have been doing this for 3.5 years and have had no problem.

Rara x