Author Topic: Spreadable butter  (Read 15324 times)

Offline kniki

• View Profile
Spreadable butter
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:23 am »
I used to make my own spreadable butter by hand, but now I have the Thermomix it's so much easier, and it's much smoother.  I saved a bunch of Nuttelex containers so I could refill them.

Chop 250g of butter into 1 inch cubes. Put into Thermomix bowl. Add 250g oil, eg. light olive oil, rice bran oil, etc.  (Don't use virgin olive oil unless you like the strong flavour!)  Mix on speed 9 for 30 seconds, or until you have a nice smooth texture.  Transfer to container and refrigerate. 

It spreads very easily and you know exactly what's in it (unlike margarine and other 'butter spreads').
I live in beautiful Brisbane (bayside)
gluten free is for me

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Spreadable butter
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:47:39 am »
yes definitely don't use strong olive oil! your kids won't touch it LOL (great for cooking with though)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:48:07 am »
Great idea, thanks for that - will definitely make a batch of that and see if butter lovers notice a difference in taste.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 02:31:40 am »
Thanks - great tip.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 04:54:43 am »
yes definitely don't use strong olive oil! your kids won't touch it LOL (great for cooking with though)

Well that proves it.. there's something wrong with my kids. :P. they love the butter I made the other day with EVOO!  :-))
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:54:32 am »
was it a strong flavoured one though? mind you, some kids just like that taste :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:03:08 am »
It is actually Karen.. I use it to cook as well and always buy first cold pressed EVOO so maybe they are used to it? *shrug*

Not complaining though!  ;D
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:06 am »
the 2yo i nannied in italy (english family) loved eating olives!

i cook with EVOO most of the time but they are used to commercial butter taste
My Cooking Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
My lot just pour EVOO on their toast, and either some salt or a teaspoon of sugar. The love EVOO! My youngest DD pours EVOO on her meat too! Aren't some kids funny!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 02:10:46 am »
My lot just pour EVOO on their toast, and either some salt or a teaspoon of sugar. The love EVOO! My youngest DD pours EVOO on her meat too! Aren't some kids funny!

It is probably related to what they grow up with - like Vegemite and Aussie kids - most just love it and colloquially it is used in a saying - Happy little vegemites.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

BUT, most foreigners think we are seriously sick eating a salty, yeasty, black goo.  I remember people sending bottles of vegemite to their family in the UK who had cravings for it !!!   :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 02:30:25 am »
And now we have lost Vegemite for ever and the new owners are playing with it and adding something (cream cheese?) to make it easier to spread.  Anyone tried it? Being Australian, the original version will always be the best. :-\ :-\
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 02:56:13 am »
i hate vegemite but still think they shouldn't change it. am very annoyed about cadbury (even though i rarely eat it it's my fave chocolate in the world - or was...)
My Cooking Blog

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:45 am »
Out of all my kiddos.. only DD can eat yeast and dairy products.. but she prefers Promite... and I won't buy it.  Thankfully her father does so she gets a hit when she's with him.  :P

Managed to pick up a 1kg tub of double cream today cheap.. might add some of the more liquid stuff in the fridge and make up a huge batch of butter.. salted, unsalted... with EVOO and without. LOL

I lurve having 2 freezers..  8)

musingnmayhem

Offline ViolinCuddles

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 08:11:33 am »
Thank you!!!! This is brilliant! I can afford the Aldi organic butter and just added rice bran oil :) and it's worked really well. The children were surprised the butter wasn't yellower but happy once I pointed out that the spreadable butter must have had colouring in it! It was also VERY runny when we first made it but set nicely after a few hours in the fridge.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 02:07:30 pm »
Thanks for this thread - I love to see people promoting BUTTER. I was so annoyed tonight when I saw an ad for margarine with a supposed doctors saying how unhealthy butter is for our children!!  >:(