Author Topic: Yoghurt  (Read 70121 times)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
Re: Yoghurt
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:32 pm »
I've been told that the key is the 37oC.  It must be continual, and exact.  So it can be a bit hit and miss (although it sounds like you've found a way around it!  ;D).  Powdered milk helps to overcome the problem somewhat.  However, the person who was advising me prepares the mix in the TM, and then puts it into an electric yogurt maker which keeps the temperature constant.  She has been producing 2 litres of perfect yogurt per week for the last 3 years, with no problems at all - and no milk powder.

Think I'll try your way first, without the powdered milk (which I don't want to use, don't trust it somehow) and see if it still works.  If so, fantastic  ;D  If not, guess I'll be getting an electric yogurt maker.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 11:48:47 pm »
i have quite a few friends who were powdered milk fanatics who have suddenly decided it's the devil's work (though i can't remember the problem atm, not long out of bed, brain not working lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:04 am »
Thanks Squirrel (and welcome).  Great work with your descriptions.

we have difficulty sourcing unhomogenised milk in Vic, but I know from 30 plus years of making yoghurt that it worked better with the old milk.

I read your last sentance then had to go away to check.  I buy unhomogenised milk all the time from the supermarket.  The Parmalat Pure Organic Full Cream Milk by Pauls is unhomogenised.

Could it be you were confusing it with unpasturised which is very hard to source??

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 05:28:28 am »

I read your last sentance then had to go away to check.  I buy unhomogenised milk all the time from the supermarket.  The Parmalat Pure Organic Full Cream Milk by Pauls is unhomogenised.

Could it be you were confusing it with unpasturised which is very hard to source??

No,  I stopped looking a few years ago - but the times they are a-changing - thanks JaneZ.  Looks like some unhomogenised milk is returning to the market.

Our local s/market doesn't have it, nor does the milk bar,  but Coles does - so we can get it.  Thanks
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 03:04:37 pm »

No,  I stopped looking a few years ago - but the times they are a-changing - thanks JaneZ.  Looks like some unhomogenised milk is returning to the market.

Our local s/market doesn't have it, nor does the milk bar,  but Coles does - so we can get it.  Thanks

While we're on the subject of milk, has anyone looked into the A2 milk?  It's supposed to be the original strain of genetic make up for milk and a lot friendlier on our bodies, as opposed to the A1 (or the majority of milk in the supermarket).  The only thing is that to my knowledge they don't produce an unhomgenised A2 milk (I've emailed them about it and not really given any answer). So I'm trying to weigh up which one is better for us..... unhomogenised "bad" milk (or so the A2's marketing suggests) vs homogenised "good" milk???
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2009, 06:37:51 am »
Where do you get A2 milk from ILB?   I haven't seen it.  Have you tried the Cleopatras bath milk - the raw stuff??  I was speaking to another consultant recently who says dairy doesn't agree with her but when she tried the Cleopatras it was like her whole body sighed in relief!!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2009, 08:45:00 am »
A2 is in coles
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2009, 04:44:07 pm »
Thanks Karen, will check it out............

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 11:32:56 pm »
i've recently discovered i have issues with dairy and was talking to karen3 yesterday who suggested the cleopatra's milk - but i have a complete aversion to 'real' milk - i have childhood memories of that horrible cream on top of the milk bottle if you were first to drink the milk, bleh :-X  i know it's not great for you but i love my skim with as much 'realness' removed as possible lol
My Cooking Blog

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2009, 12:29:09 am »
We have unhomogenised, unpasteurised milk ALL the time - provided by our Jersey, Clara Bell. I was buying the unhomogenised, organic milk for years and the price kept going up, up, up!! Then I found out pasteurised is just as bad if not worse than the unhomogenised part. And it is illegal to sell milk in Australia if it is not pasteurised - unless sold as Bath milk or pet food. We had the room - just needed the will to get up to milk her on these cold frosty mornings!! :-\
The difference between A1 and A2 milk basically is A1 is Freisan and A2 is Jersey milk. This is what I found on the NZ food safety website:
http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/policy-law/projects/a1-a2-milk/a1-a2-qa.htm

What’s the difference between ‘A1’ and ‘A2’ milk?
The name comes from the type of protein in the milk. Milk from cows, and any other milk producing animal, can vary quite a lot in the types and amounts of proteins they contain.

Cow’s milk contains six major proteins. Four are casein proteins, the other two are whey proteins. Casein proteins make up about 80 percent of the protein in cow’s milk. A type of casein called beta-casein is one of the major ones, and is itself of different kinds, depending on the genetic make-up of the cow. The most common are beta-casein A1 and beta-casein A2. Milk high in beta-casein A1 is being referred to as ‘A1 milk’ while milk high in beta-casein A2 is being called ‘A2 milk’.

What milk am I drinking?
Milk produced in New Zealand and many other countries normally contains a mixture of A1 and A2 beta-caseins. Different breeds can produce different milk. For example Friesian cows produce mostly A1 milk, while Guernsey cows, sheep and goats produce mostly A2 milk.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:21:01 am by Nay-nay »

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2009, 12:34:53 am »
i've recently discovered i have issues with dairy and was talking to karen3 yesterday who suggested the cleopatra's milk - but i have a complete aversion to 'real' milk - i have childhood memories of that horrible cream on top of the milk bottle if you were first to drink the milk, bleh :-X  i know it's not great for you but i love my skim with as much 'realness' removed as possible lol
LOL You remind me off my 8 year old Daughter - she says the same thing! :D Just skim the cream off the top. The cream may taste a bit sour after a couple days settling on top of milk but scoop it off and the milk is fine underneath.  ;)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2009, 01:52:08 am »
Nay-nay can you skim and and use the cream to make butter?? Trying to convince myself when we move that a cow is a good idea...the everyday milking is what holds me back...what happens when you go on holidays  ???
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2009, 02:03:09 am »
Nay-nay can you skim and and use the cream to make butter?? Trying to convince myself when we move that a cow is a good idea...the everyday milking is what holds me back...what happens when you go on holidays  ???
Kathryn I didn't think people with cows took holidays ;D ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2009, 02:07:10 am »
Yes! for sure - that is one of the reasons I wanted, needed the TMX! I was just shaking a glass jar up and down for about 10min before!!! So easy now. When we go on hols it's easy, we have kept the calf on her. (He is off to our freezer next year) I milk 2 teats and then let him in after I've milked (twice a day). More than enough for us and him.

Sorry this has got off topic so I'll just throw this in -  I've made easi yo for a few years  and was going to make all my yogurt in the TMX now but after reading how much trouble it is I might stick with easi yo!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2009, 02:11:07 am »
Kathryn I didn't think people with cows took holidays ;D ;D ;D
Not often but working holidays to cattle shows and stuff  ;)