Author Topic: Yoghurt  (Read 70096 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Yoghurt
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2009, 07:15:49 am »
Kathryn I didn't think people with cows took holidays ;D ;D ;D

LOL that was my issue JD !!!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2009, 04:57:12 pm »
Just wanted to post that I am having success with making yoghurt with hilo milk...next step to see if I can get it to work without the powdered milk. Will keep you posted  ;)

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2009, 02:07:40 pm »
Great tips on the yoghurt, thanks!  Last week I made a batch and got ricotta.  Go figure.  I kind of want to repeat that, if I can, but I also need to get the hang of a decent thick yoghurt too.

Nay Nay, interesting about your cow.  We'll also have a Jersey by next week sometime, and a foster calf for her.  I've never heard of the 2 teats each method at all.  I guess you keep them apart mostly, and let him come to her after milking twice a day only?
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 02:46:47 am »
Nay Nay, interesting about your cow.  We'll also have a Jersey by next week sometime, and a foster calf for her.  I've never heard of the 2 teats each method at all.  I guess you keep them apart mostly, and let him come to her after milking twice a day only?
That's right mama bel. He only got to be with her after I milked. Now he is weaned and we are getting 10L a day!! And we have to ask someone to come and milk when we are away  - we used to be able to go away and just let them roam together.

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 04:27:40 am »
I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I thought I would share how I made yogurt before I got the TM, I haven't tried the TM method yet because I am not a fan of powdered milk

Natural yogurt—with no powdered milk
Ingredients
1L milk
1/4 cup of natural, unflavoured yogurt (approximate measure, don't be too precious about it)

Equipment:
Yogurt making thermos and container (1L) eg. EasiYo

Method:
1. Heat milk to 80ºC then remove from heat.
2. Pour milk into container, close the lid and place it in the fridge. Allow to cool completely, it needs to be fridge-temperature cold.
3. Once cooled, add the yogurt, close the lid. Fill the thermos with boiling water and pop-in the container. Leave overnight, or for 6+ hours.

Every time I make yogurt this way it comes out nice and thick, without the aid of powdered milk. If you want it even thicker, drain it through cheese cloth (keep refrigerated) for a short while until the desired consistency is achieved, but not for too long or you will make yogurt cheese! The liquid collected can be used in muffin and cake recipes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:30:02 am by Sim »

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2009, 10:55:29 am »
Oops sorry everyone, I haven't kept you updated. I am now making my yoghurt without the powdered milk. It is working with either hilo or full cream milk. So far I have only had successes  :D

Offline Sundari

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2009, 01:59:52 pm »
Can you share your tips for what has worked please
Birth Worker
Mum to one DD 6yrs
Thermomix Consultant

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2009, 02:36:23 pm »
I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I thought I would share how I made yogurt before I got the TM, I haven't tried the TM method yet because I am not a fan of powdered milk

Natural yogurt—with no powdered milk

Simple enough - just one question Sim.  Can you use skim milk?  Oops, another question.  Then how do you sweeten it, just add fruit or does it need sugar as well.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Sim

• Owner of a Melbourne-Based Cookie Company ;-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2009, 01:19:43 am »
I think skim milk would work fine.
Perhaps just try honey and fruit? Or make fine sugar from rapadura or raw sugar?
I bought some agave nectar the other day, but I have yet to open it and try it. It might be nice.
I haven't experimented much because I really enjoy tangy natural yoghurt

Offline oliolioli

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2010, 06:39:09 am »
Hi all...

I am new here, but this forum has been super helpful in my first weeks as a new TMX owner.  I read through this thread before making my first yoghurt, and wanted to post back with my results. 

My first batch was made with organic unhomogenised milk and I used an organic goats milk yoghurt as a starter as that was all they had.  It was a good thickness but I didn't like the texture, it was kind of gluggy and lava like, very strange.  Anyway, it was still nice and thick and the kids ate it.  I made my second batch  yesterday using the starter I had reserved from the first batch, and success again!  I only used regular organic milk this time as I didn't have any unhomogenised stuff.   The texture and thickness of the second batch was much nicer, and was pretty similar to the natural yoghurts I've been buying from the shops. 

I didn't use milk powder in either batch- I was planning to but it discovered as I pulled the box out of the cupboard that it had expired in 2008 and was completely solid (no longer powder!). 

The process I followed was similar to Faffa_70's recipe, but minus the milk powder.  I did use an easiyo thermos which i bought especially.  So thanks Faffa_70 for your hints!  Fingers crossed batch number 3 works, the second batch is being strained to make yoghurt cheese, yum....

Cherry

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2010, 06:58:43 am »
I have been making yogurt with great success using the recipe from the EDC sometimes using milk powder and sometimes not. Lately I have been making goats milk yogurt and following through with the cheese which was a great success. I can sometimes get older goats milk quite cheaply so it makes the cheese even yummier! I use the thermoserver and my yogurt is rich and creamy if slightly sourish and as I like it.

Good fun isn't it?

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 06:59:19 am »
Welcome to the forum Cherry  ;) Good on ya for giving the yogurt a go - now that it has worked first time I'm sure it will be something you make regularly. Heaps of recipes here to try - yogurt cheese is a real hit at my place too atm.  ;)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 07:21:14 am »
lol you are welcome to the tips, glad they have helped. I now make Valerie's yoghurt and use the thermoserve bowl (yoghurt maker has gone - yippee another thing down  :o ) still use my thermometer to check the temp though.

here is the link to her website

http://superkitchenmachine.com/2009/2883/how-to-make-yogurt-thermomix.html

I am sure it is on the forum as well but am to tired to look for it - sorry  :-[ :-[

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:51 am »
Welcome oliolioli - good to see you trying the yoghurt - it is something that it gets better the more you try.  Big thing is to make sure that the temp does drop to 37 before adding the starter - that means wait til the 37 light goes out then warm it up to 37 to be sure.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
I have been using the EDC recipe for the past 4 batches, just omitting the powdered milk, I use regular full fat milk and used Mundella pot set yohurt as a starter for the first batch. I tip mine into a preheated thermos flask for 8hrs then refrigerate in a container it comes out nice and thick with a slight twang.
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne