Author Topic: faffa's Yoghurt  (Read 89545 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
faffa's Yoghurt
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:25:10 pm »

WOO HOO I have had success!!!
Have now made 6 batches of yoghurt with no failures...I am a very happy little vegemite :)

Here is the recipe from the new Everyday Cook Cook that I have been using, but will add my tweaks so you can all have success at making yoghurt. - My next trial will be without the powdered milk...I don't think personally that it will need it as it is now really really thick. I will report back on that.

Ingredients

800g Full Cream Milk
50 g Milk Powder
3 tablespoons Pot Set Natural Yoghurt

Method

Place milk and powdered milk into  *: and blend for 10 seconds on speed 7.

Cook for 30 minutes at 90 on speed 1.

Allow to cool to 37 degrees (this will take at least 30 minutes.  If you do not have a thermometer, to test this, remove TM bowl from the housing and then put it back in.  The temperature will register on the machine as you put it in.)

This is where I found the problem as the TM registered 37 degrees but my thermometer was a lot more (and the bowl still felt really hot). I use a thermometer but have also found that waiting until no lights light up on the TMX is also cool enough to proceed without killing the culture. Be warned this can take quite a while...and you will have a late night if you start this process too late after dinner lol - sorry to those that have had this happen before I edited this post!!

Add the yoghurt and blend gently for 4 seconds on speed 4

cook for 10 minutes at 37 on speed 1

While yoghurt is cooking, pour boiling water into glass jar (from yoghurt maker) or Thermos flask to sterilise and warm. (If using jar, place into yoghurt maker) - I use an Easiyo thermos and jar

Once yoghurt is cooked, pour immediately into jar or thermos and leave overnight or for around 8 hours to set. You should not disturb the yoghurt during this time. (I make mine last thing at night and leave it while everyone is in bed :) so there is no chance of it being disturbed)

Place in fridge and don't forget to reserve 3 tablespoons for the next time!

General tips

The yoghurt should get thicker and creamier the more frequently you remake it using your own starter. Add extra acidophilus powder if desired, available from Health Food Stores.

Use either skim or full cream powdered milk, but choose brand carefully based on additives.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: faffa's Yoghurt
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

Good call faffa_70 - I agree that when all the lights go out (on the TMX) then it is not likely to be too hot.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:47:51 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: faffa's Yoghurt - CarolineW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:31:07 pm »

I've been told that the key is the 37oC.  It must be continual, and exact.  So it can be a bit hit and miss (although it sounds like you've found a way around it!  ;D).  Powdered milk helps to overcome the problem somewhat.  However, the person who was advising me prepares the mix in the TM, and then puts it into an electric yogurt maker which keeps the temperature constant.  She has been producing 2 litres of perfect yogurt per week for the last 3 years, with no problems at all - and no milk powder.

Think I'll try your way first, without the powdered milk (which I don't want to use, don't trust it somehow) and see if it still works.  If so, fantastic  ;D  If not, guess I'll be getting an electric yogurt maker.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: faffa's Yoghurt - faffa
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:31:39 pm »

Oops sorry everyone, I haven't kept you updated. I am now making my yoghurt without the powdered milk. It is working with either hilo or full cream milk. So far I have only had successes  :D
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline bellarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:14:28 am »
I love making my own yoghurt... TMX makes life that bit easier when making the yoghurt. The only downside to yoghurt is the time it takes!!! I thought I would share that I actually put my yoghurt in a waterbath in the oven on the lowest heat it can be and it usually set in 6 hrs...

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:50:19 am »
Thanks for that tip  :-* 
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:11:32 am »
Well I watched the video from "A Canadian Foodie" I think it is Valerie (don't trust my memory lol) and she uses here Thermoserve Bowl to set it in so there you go, another thing that I have that can now be parted with!!  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bellarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 11:33:48 am »
Yeah I was actually thinking of trying to set it in the Thermomix bowl... but I thought I would stick with what I know, until i get into the swing of making it and then I will experiment with the bowl.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:28:46 pm »
Bellarosa, if you are going to set it in the TMX bowl, you will need to wrap it in a blanket or something like that to make it insulated as the actual bowl of the TMX isn't insulated and I don't think it would work too well. The yoghurt would cool down too quickly and not set IYKWIM.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:04:47 am »
Ok Faffa

Found this thread of yours.

I am going to try this.

So i need to put yoghurt in to my thermoserver and wrap a blanket round it or coud i use a tupperware container.

Does it now go in the fridge or does it go in the fridge 8 hours later.

Thanks

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline bigTcup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:19 am »
Hi Hally - see here for some more yoghurt info.

The thermoserver is insulated - I think a tupperware container would cool down too quickly, the mixture needs to stay warm for a long time to set.

Hope this helps  ;)
Thermomix Consultant - Perth, WA
Facebook: Jeanette & Thermomix

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
At this time of the year Hally, I just put it in the Thermoserver and leave it on the bench or if I am not sure that fingers can't stay out of it I put it in my Microwave with a big sign on it "YOGHURT do not disturb" lol  :D

When it is really cold I preheat my oven to about 50 then turn it off when I start the second cook and put the Thermoserver in there to set.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:22:10 pm »
Hally, I had lots of failures when setting yoghurt in my thermoserver - it would only work on the hottest days. My kitchen is pretty cool, and on cooler days, the Thermoserver wouldn't cooperate even when swaddled in a towel and packed in an insulated shopping bag! I did lots of googling and found that the key to incubation is that the temperature needs to be maintained above 25 degrees for 6-12 hours. I was fortunate enough to pick up a cheap electric yoghurt maker in Aldi and have had lovely thick yoghurt ever since. I have read that some people put yoghurt in their oven and leave the oven light on, or put it in a slow cooker on a very low heat. Other people use an easiyo container or thermos. I've read of mixed results with the easiyo container (works like a charm for some, but others find the result a bit thin), but it seems there were more satisfied customers with the thermos. Have fun discovering what your perfect solution is!
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: faffa's Yogurt
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:33 pm »
I have only tried the yogurt once with a failure and haven't gone back since. I have a easiyo container. My kids love their yogurt. I guess I should really try again.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »
At this time of the year Hally, I just put it in the Thermoserver and leave it on the bench or if I am not sure that fingers can't stay out of it I put it in my Microwave with a big sign on it "YOGHURT do not disturb" lol  :D

When it is really cold I preheat my oven to about 50 then turn it off when I start the second cook and put the Thermoserver in there to set.

do you put the lid on it ? and the base plate ?

this yoghart just sounds daunting for me ...... but i have a child who is vegetarian ...and with mango season knocking at the door .... i just think how decidant  to have fresh home made yoghart

as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P