Author Topic: faffa's Yoghurt  (Read 90076 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: faffa's Yoghurt
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 09:50:32 am »
what do u mean hally?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 09:53:56 am »
I got the yogurt today as well ready to try again and some frozen mixed berries. Hopefully I can get it to work this time.
The only yogurt I could find at the local shop did not say 'Pot Set' But said had live Cultures with Acidophilus, Will this still work?
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 09:55:38 am »
Is it Yogurt or Yoghurt? I am assuming it is Yogurt in some languages and Yoghurt in others. My Yoghurt I bought today is Yoghurt but when I do a spell check it tells me its Yogurt. Confused.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:57:31 am by dede »

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:15 am »

I have only used  jalna yoghurt (pot set).sorry no help 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 10:26:59 am »
Ok how does the TM give you the temp?
I bought the yoghurt today to make the yoghurt
H :)

Hally the light on the front panel will show you which temperature the TMX is at eg 37o, 60o but it is not 100% accurate as you will see from Faffa's comment in the recipe as shown here.

"Allow to cool to 37 degrees (this will take at least 30 minutes.  If you do not have a thermometer, to test this, remove TM bowl from the housing and then put it back in.  The temperature will register on the machine as you put it in.)

This is where I found the problem as the TM registered 37 degrees but my thermometer was a lot more (and the bowl still felt really hot). I use a thermometer but have also found that waiting until no lights light up on the TMX is also cool enough to proceed without killing the culture. Be warned this can take quite a while...and you will have a late night if you start this process too late after dinner lol - sorry to those that have had this happen before I edited this post!!"

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
I found this info re the Yoghurt starter

You need to begin with starter yogurt. Starter yogurt is yogurt that has been made with active live cultures; this is the friendly bacteria that will turn your milk into yogurt. You can buy a small container of yogurt at the grocery to use for this purpose. Make sure that the container says Made with live cultures or something of this nature.
(So I should be right with the one I brought)

And I also found this

For the curdled-milk-based, custard-like food with a tart flavor, yoghurt is the preferred spelling in British and Australian English. Yogurt is preferred in American and Canadian English. They are variant spellings of the same word. Neither has any meanings all its own. A third spelling, yoghourt, is rare.

Well there you go, Now I know.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 11:18:57 am »
Ok how does the TM give you the temp?
I bought the yoghurt today to make the yoghurt
H :)

Hally the light on the front panel will show you which temperature the TMX is at eg 37o, 60o but it is not 100% accurate as you will see from Faffa's comment in the recipe as shown here.

"Allow to cool to 37 degrees (this will take at least 30 minutes.  If you do not have a thermometer, to test this, remove TM bowl from the housing and then put it back in.  The temperature will register on the machine as you put it in.)

This is where I found the problem as the TM registered 37 degrees but my thermometer was a lot more (and the bowl still felt really hot). I use a thermometer but have also found that waiting until no lights light up on the TMX is also cool enough to proceed without killing the culture. Be warned this can take quite a while...and you will have a late night if you start this process too late after dinner lol - sorry to those that have had this happen before I edited this post!!"

Just clarifying all this for you Hally, when the light is illuminated at 37 it can be between 37 and 49 degrees as the next light illuminates at 50 degrees. When the TMX is set to cook at 37 or 50 or whatever it will heat to that temp and hold it. When you are measuring the heat that is in the bowl (by placing the bowl back in the cradle and the heat registering) it has registered that it is hotter than 37 degrees (so it is lit up) but not 50 degrees so it isn't lit (same works for all temps).

This is why you need to make sure the 37 light isn't on - to ensure is is cooler than 37.

Confused now?? :D :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 12:01:27 pm »
I have been waiting now for 70 minutes for mine to cool below 37o, hopefully wont be to much longer. Good thing I didnt leave it to late (Thanks for that tip)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »
pop it in the Fridge  ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:46 pm »
Goodness, i think i am  happy to see my bank manager for a yoghurt mortgage!!!

Hally ;D ;D
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 12:07:58 pm »
I thought about doing that but I was unsure if the TM would then give me the wrong reading being the bowl would feel cold as I don't have a thermometer to test the milk.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »
Just another way of measuring the temp that I found when trawling the net in my search for the perfect yoghurt technique! Before technology like thermometers and TMX temperatures light, the accepted way to know when to add the culture was when you could stick your little finger in and hold it there until you'd counted to 10. I always use a thermometer and apparently the perfect temp should be between 40 and 45 degrees. One day I will double check the finger technique and see whether my sense of touch matches what the thermometer tells me.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 12:23:35 pm »
That sounds like a good way, I will try it. Its now been 90 Minutes and the 37o light is still lighting up, Must be close now. At least I will know for next time how long to expect it to take.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 12:53:23 pm »
ok Yoghurt is in the yoghurt maker now. Took 100 min to cool to 37o, Now to wait 8 hours to see if we have success. Fingers crossed xx xx.
Will let you know how I go.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »
Dede you can put the jug in the fridge, when you put it back on the cradle I just give it a quick stir on speed 2-3 for about 5 seconds and that will help with your reading  ;)

Also make sure you take the jug out of the cradle while you are waiting for it to cool as the cradle insulates the bowl!!  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!