Author Topic: Pasta alla Carbonara  (Read 44238 times)

Offline Thermolicious

• View Profile
Re: Pasta alla Carbonara
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 01:11:38 am »
Good idea - I might treat myself to a nice notebook just for Thermo recipes :) Love the look of handwritten recipes too!

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 12:07:45 pm »
I just love this recipe. Have made it a few times now (thought I had already reviewed it actually :-)) ) and find it so easy. I also add mushies in the beginning as well-yum. Thankyou  :)

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2012, 05:50:07 am »
I am going to make this tonight... JudyDawn have you tried it yet with the evaporated milk??  I was wanting to use that too instead of cream but wondered if I would have to add cornflour?
Even with a calculator I can't work out 33% because i can't do math, can't even do 'simple' math..  and percentages are beyond me..

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2012, 06:23:12 am »
another good one for the kids
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:03 am »
No I haven't curly but you would have to add some cornflour, start off with a tablespoonful mixed with the carnation milk and see how you go.  You can always add a cornflour surry at the end if it is still too runny.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nighteyes_fitz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2012, 06:51:23 am »
I'm making this tonight. Going to add some Mushies too! I love that it is a smaller batch because I can make one lot Gluten Free and a normal lot! Squeeee! ;D

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2012, 07:55:46 am »
I ended up using 330 gm of tagliettali (sp?) a 375 can of carnation milk, a 300 bottle of cream, 100gm of white wine PLUS water, PLUS 2 eggs, plus the cheese and even though there was a lot of sauce, it was rich as anything, but really yum..  couldn't have a second bowl but yum.
if you don't want it rich, don't use the cream...

Offline Nighteyes_fitz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2012, 08:42:07 am »
Does anyone know what the egg actually does? Just wondering if I should bother? Does it add flavour or does it help with texture?

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2012, 08:50:16 am »
I'm only going on what I 'saw' not from knowledge but once I added the egg it definitely thickened considerably...

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 10:03:35 am »
I thought you were going to substitute the cream with the evaporated milk curly - what happened?

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 05:38:38 pm »
I had a small tub of cream that was past its use by LOL and because I needed more liquid than 375ml I did a fridge clean up and used the cream as well plus the last squirt out of the wine cask, in my quest to create some space in the fridge I expanded my waistline..

Mama Fergie

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2012, 06:31:39 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:50 am »
OK, fair enough reason  ;D

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2012, 10:36:38 pm »
Made this last night (also using the 33% more method lol). Made the first batch and threw it into the Thermoserver, then threw a second one in to cook while I rallied the troops and got the table set . Woo hoo meal big enough for all 7 easy as that! ;D ;D ;D

I made this with fettuccine pasta as DS4 has an egg intolerance (can manage small amounts of it in cakes bisc etc) and was hoping that with minimal sauce he could cope with this but alas no  :( Will make this for the family again along with something else for DS4 the next time.

was just copying this recipe out,  reading the reviews.... and i was thinking, when you make this for your family .... could you scoop out a portion for your son, into a small pyrex or casserole dish with a lid, (even a ceremic bowl with foil over the top ) add the cheese and a little bit of cornflour and water mix, then pop it in the oven with a lid on at 100deg .. for 5 or so mins? ... and that way it doesn't have to be a completely different cooking session (my DD3 is lactose intolerant ... so i feel for you... giggles -sometimes i feel like i run a restaurant ... i also have a DD2 that is a vegetarian ..going on 3 years now.... lucky i love them cause it sure does add time in the kitchen  ;) ... lucky i love cooking too. 
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline josephinecooks

• View Profile
Re: Re: Pasta alla Carbonara
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 08:37:40 am »
I have made this recipe more times than I can remember. It's fantastic.
I have made a couple of changes.
Before starting I use 1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic, blitz first, then add the other ingredients.
I personally don't like egg, so I omit that altogether. I can't say that it tastes any different, perhaps I use a little extra Parmesan.
I found the recipe was really only suitable for 2 adults so have made the following adjustments to suit our family of 2 adults 2 children.

250g pasta
600g of warm water
300 grams of cream.
And I will cook it for a little longer as per instructions for 20 minutes.

Have also used all different pasta, spaghetti, macaroni, gluten free, fettuccine, they all seem to work.

Thanks for sharing such a great easy to make meal. :)