Author Topic: Chelsea's Chow Mein  (Read 49413 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Chelsea's Chow Mein
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:32 am »
Chow-Mein

This is my version of chow-mein.

Ingredients:

1 x 60g cake vermicelli noodles
1 stick celery, roughly chopped
1 large carrot, roughly chopped
1 onion, quartered
1 cup green beans
40g organic olive oil
500g beef mince
80g rice
1 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
1-2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp organic cider vinegar
1 rounded tbsp homemade chicken stock paste (2 tbsp of commercial powder)
650g boiling water
2-3 cups finely shredded cabbage

Method:

Add noodles to bowl and chop on speed 7 for 6-7 seconds. Set aside. (When you chop them up, they resemble the Chicken Noodle soup packet mix noodles).

Add celery, carrot, onion and beans to bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 5.

Add oil and saute for 4 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1.

Add mince and saute for 5 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1.

Add remaining ingredients to bowl. Add cabbage to varoma dish and fit on thermomix lid. Cook for 15 minutes, varoma, reverse speed 2 (keep it moving so that it doesn't catch on the bottom at the high temp).

To serve I spooned the cabbage into bowls, added the meat mixture and mixed them together a little with a fork. You could tip them both into a large bowl and mix it through that way though.

Enjoy!

members' comments

dede - it's so quick and easy to make and the best thing is that everyone loved it. I was missing a couple of ingredients but it was still really yummy. Will be making again for sure. Thanks.

CP - chelsea thank you for doing such a great conversion on an old family fave. I'm going to add a bit more cabbage next time cos I've got quite a bit left over but regardless, it was still fine like it is. DS had two helpings and I'm just going to have a leetle bit more now also...

Twitterpated - A really easy but especially tasty meal. Whole family gave it 5/5. It has gone on the "definitely cook again" list. Thanks for posting Chelsea.

Meagan - Chelsea this took me back to my childhood. Love this recipe, thanks for the conversion. My ds4 declared it delicious!

maddy - I used pork mince.  It did break down but the taste was all there. I added a clove of garlic, used angel hair pasta (and cooked extra 11/2 cups pasta on stove) and loaded the varoma with 1/2 a cabbage.  Thought I would stretch it out for leftovers. Once cooked, I moved meat mix to thermoserve, added extra boiling water and continued cooking the rest of the cabbage for an additional 15 minutes, then mixed all together in a big bowl. Empty plates.

Moo2 -  it's a really lovely flavour. Loved the steamed cabbage!

spektor - Yum! Simple hearty meal with no pretensions. The leftovers the next day were even more delicious.

Sandip - Made it tonight for a family birthday dinner and served it in lettuce cups like San Choy Bau. Just so yummy, everyone loved it.  Will definitely be cooking that one again.

Tam - Can't begin to say how much I loved this - reminds me of the chow mien I used to get as a kid (except it's nicer in the TM as the meat is minced).  DD 3 also really loved it - I followed someone else's suggestion and steamed the beans with the cabbage.
Another winner Chelsea!!!

JD - Lovely thanks Chelsea (as all your recipes are).  I love the idea of steaming the cabbage and I also did the beans in there as well.  I ended up with a thermosaver full.  Will add even more beans and cabbage next time.  I had some chicken stock in the fridge so used that for the liquid component with 2 tblspns Tenina's chicken stock powder. 

jakodai - it was beautiful!  DS ate a whole bowl and he's going through the 'never eating dinner' phase. Anything that can get that much vegetables into a 2 year old has got to be good! Thanks, Chelsea!

funnyfarm2 - I really love this recipe. It is a standard meal in our family as everybody loves it. I don't even bother cooking the cabbage or beans, just stir through at the end so that they retain their crunch....delicious.

Cuddlecook - Made this last night and my almost 1 year old loved it. Then she ate the leftovers again for dinner tonight! Great for a quick healthy weeknight meal - should definitely be linked in the babies and kids section.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:49:42 am by judydawn »

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Chelsea's Chow Mein
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:57 pm »
Thanks Chelsea, love the cabbage steamed!
I must get around to making some chicken stock...still haven't yet  :-\
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »
Yum this looks great. I have printed it out and will give it a go this week. And I have all the ingredients already.
Thanks Chelsea.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »
Had this last night and it's so quick and easy to make and the best thing is that everyone loved it. I was missing a couple of ingredients but it was still really yummy. Will be making again for sure. Thanks
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:52 pm »
Chelsea,  This looks yummy, and have all ingredients on hand.  Think I might steam the beans with the cabbage as we like the crunch.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:08:59 am »
Do you think this would work if I minced some cubed pork up and used that instead of the minced beef?

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 04:08:07 am »
Had this last night and it's so quick and easy to make and the best thing is that everyone loved it. I was missing a couple of ingredients but it was still really yummy. Will be making again for sure. Thanks

That's great Dede.  I always get nervous until the first review is in. Sometimes I worry that my recipes are a bit too homestyle.

Great idea to steam the beans in the varoma also Chookie.  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 05:42:28 am »
I just made this again today and have adjusted the recipe slightly.  For anyone who has it printed already these are the changes I just made:

2-3 cups finely shredded cabbage.
chop (noodles) on speed 7 for 6-7 seconds.
add oil and saute for 4 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse speed 1.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:01:11 am by Chelsea (Thermie Groupie) »

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 05:44:22 am »
Do you think this would work if I minced some cubed pork up and used that instead of the minced beef?

Sorry I missed your post Wonder. Yes I think it would be lovely with pork.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »
chelsea thank you for doing such a great conversion on an old family fave. i'm going to add a bit more cabbage next time cos i've got quite a bit left over, but regardless it was still fine like it is. DS had two helpings, and I'm just going to have a leetle bit more now also...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:12:50 pm »
 I'm glad you enjoyed it CP.  I love cabbage and had the varoma dish 3/4 full of cabbage when I made it today. I don't know if everyone is quite so keen though.  ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:32:27 pm »
 :-)) 9:30pm and DS has just had a 3rd helping.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:52:23 pm »
Blimey CP your DS must have hollow legs  :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 01:09:03 am »
Are the noodles chopped dry in the first step and then they cook when added in 5th step? Does anyone know or have any thoughts?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 01:31:41 am »
That's how I would read it Twitterpated.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.