Author Topic: Curried Sausages  (Read 42499 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Curried Sausages
« on: February 26, 2010, 01:50:43 pm »
Name of Recipe:Curried Sausages - converted from a recipe from Best Recipes No. 3864
Number of People: 4 serves
Ingredients:
600-750g thin sausages
150 - 300g basmati rice, rinsed thoroughly
900g boiling water
vegies of choice, to fill the varoma tray - I used thinly sliced carrots & broccoli

1 onion, cut into quarters
1 apple, Granny Smith or Golden Delicious - cored and cut into 4
20g butter or oil
1 - 2 tspns curry powder
2 rounded tblspns plain flour
2 tspns brown sugar
375mls beef stock (use 300mls if you want a thicker curry)
2 tspns mango chutney
2 teaspns sultanas
1 tspn apricot jam
150g tomato, diced
1 tblspn dessicated coconut
125 mls milk (use 100mls if you want a thicker curry)
Pepper to taste

Preparation:
Pour the boiling water into the TM bowl, insert the steaming basket & rice, place the sausages into the varoma dish, place the prepared vegies onto the tray and place into position.
Cook for 16 minutes on Varoma temperature Speed 3.
Whilst this is happening prepare the ingredients for the sauce. Prepare the vegies - set aside. Mix the curry powder, plain flour and brown sugar together in a bowl and set aside. Place all the remaining ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
By now the sausages etc will be cooked.  Set the sausages aside to cool and place the rice and vegies in the thermosaver. Clean and dry the bowl.
Chop the onion and apple 3 seconds on speed 5.
Add the butter and saute 5 mins 100o C on reverse, speed 1.
Add the curry powder,  flour and sugar mixture. Cook 5 mins 100o C on reverse speed 1.
Peel the cooled sausages and cut into 4cm - 5cm lengths. Set aside.
*Add the remaining ingredients (not the sausages) to the bowl and cook for 5 mins 100o C on reverse, speed 1 with MC off.
Add sausages and cook 5 mins reverse 100o C soft speed.

Tips/Hints:
Use as little or as much curry powder to your preference.  I used 2 tspns but found it a bit strong for me DH loved it though.
You may want to check the rice & vegies after 13 minutes and if cooked, remove that to the thermosaver & continue on with the cooking of the sausages.
*If you just under cook the vegies, you can add them to the curry here rather than serving separately. I prefer it this way.

members' comments

CP - DD made this last night and it was very flavoursome. Tasty family dish with the sossies, tomato, and curry. Good all rounder and I can see we will be having this a lot in the future. Thanks JD. We added a few more sossies (as the two males in our family have arguments over portion sizes).

Chelsea - I am pleased to report it was extremely tasty and DH declared it was the best curried snags he had ever tasted!!!  I modified it slightly by using 1/2 brown rice (I started cooking this 15 minutes earlier with 1200g water), rapadura, spelt flour and relish instead of mango chutney.  I also left the onion and apple quite chunky and chopped them more when I added the tomatoes later in the recipe.  I was too lazy to dice the toms by hand.  I steamed carrot, capsicum and zucchini in the varoma and my sausages were lovely pork ones (real meat) that my butcher makes.  Yummy!!! Thanks for another great recipe JD!!!

VHJ - really enjoyed it. I substituted potatoes for rice and mashed them in the thermoserver. It is very quick and tasty JD thank you for the recipe.

tasbell -  loved it!!! This was the first time I had made curried sausages from scratch (usually use the continental packet one).
I did not have apricot jam so just added more mango chutney and it was a lovely sweet curry taste. Is def on a favourite list now.

johnro - oh so tasty and full of flavour - so a very definite will make again!. I didn't peel the sausages (began this task but it was painful!!!!!), but this was not a problem. Thanks JD for the recipe post.  S

rubyslippers - I loved it!  The children weren't really into it, but I'm sure they'll come around! I like my sauce a bit thicker so next time I might add more flour or less liquid.  Other than that it was the best I've ever tasted!

atpembertn - DELICIOUS!! made this for myself and two kids. I Loved the combination of the mango chutney, apricot jam, sultanas and coconut. So yummy! This was my first at steaming sausages and I think they taste great - must be healthier too! ThankYou!!

maddy - Yummy Judy. I did omit the sultana's (My Mother is to blame for why I don't put sultana's in a savoury dish) and just used fruit chutney, a combination of beef and chorizo sausage, yellow & red capsicum and celery. We all enjoyed it.

KarenH - Made these for visitors and they were very popular - especially with the teenagers.  I took your suggestion Judy and under cooked the veg and then added it to the curry sauce with the sausages.  Yummm.

23lyndall - This was very nice.  I used pork sausages which I did cook for several minutes longer.  The whole family loved the meal.  Well done!

Thermomix Lover - thanks so much judydawn for a fantastic recipe. I'm not a lover of sausages but I will say that our local butcher does one I do like and I can say that the money is now in my pocket as you have given me his secret recipe. All I can say is I'm absolutely pleased that your recipe was so easy to follow and my meal turned out to be a hit with the whole family, it was perfect in every way.

AinslieDR - Made this last night with leftover BBQ sausages which I added towards end. I put it in oven to thicken and cook a bit more while I cooked the mashed potato and broccoli. Very nice recipe, it will be put in my recipe folder!

jakodai - it was really nice. I made it using the quantities given and I think it would have been better had I used the quantities for the thicker sauce, I'll do that next time. I also served it with mashed potatoes. I used to make the 'devilled sausages' using the maggi sachet mix and was looking for an alternative, and I think this is it!

curly66 - used chicken and IT WAS FANTASTIC....they loved it and so did I......awesome recipe... many many thanks... will absolutely make it again. I used the initially recommended quantities of liquid but 2 hugely heaped tablespoons of flour and it was a fabulous sauce, not too thick but just thick enough

mab19 - these are the nicest curried sausages I have ever had.  Will have some for dinner tonight and the rest in the freezer.

suzanne - We had this for dinner since DH last night cooked way too many sausages when we had our BBQ, it was delicious and will make it again, thanks Judy.

KarenH - Made this today with left over cooked sausages, so I just made the curry and sauce, and didn't steam the rice and veggies.  It was so very easy and totally delicious!  Thanks Judy - another family favourite.

Wonder - I added sliced carrot to the sauce and cooked a little longer before adding in the sausages. We really enjoyed it although next time I think I'll leave out the tomato as I'm not a big fan of cooked tomato and I don't think it added much.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:03:40 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Curried Sausages
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 11:21:23 pm »
JD, this looks great.   Very good instructions.   How about frankfurts?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:35:45 pm »
Thanks Chookie.  Don't see why you couldn't use frankfurts, skip the steaming of them and just add them for the last 5 mins.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:16:53 am »
Thanks JD, you are great at converting the old favs.   :-* :-* :-*  Good to hear the testing/tasting panel approves  ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:09:26 am »
Thanks JD haven't had a curried sausage in many a year. I will have to make some for DH as he is a sausage tragic. Of course I will use my NEW CURRY POWDER FROM THE INDIAN COOKBOOK Yeah!

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:23:32 am »
Thanks Judy. We don't have sausages very often but I think I'll give this a go.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:36 am »
Love curried sausages in winter JD. thanks for converting a family favourite- and Thermomixer is correct- you really are fantastic at converting the old favourites. Thank you  :-* :-* :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 04:46:48 am »
My pleasure guys - sometimes DH's just want plain old simple food.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:09:26 am »
This recipe has come at a perfect time JD.  My DH came home from work one afternoon last week complaining that his workmate was having sausages for dinner (my DH loves snags) and we hardly have them since we bought Thermie.  I did point out that his workmate would probably prefer our dinner (steamed chicken parcels with a sweet chilli dipping sauce), but he wasn't convinced.  He will LOVE these!!!  ;D

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:54:12 am »
Yum, thank you.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 12:25:10 pm »
JD you always come up with the good old family favourites!
At demo's I often refer to some of your conversions when people ask if they can eat the same old food again  ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 12:31:38 pm »
I wondered why my ears have been burning ILB  ;) ;) We must keep these old favourites going to pass on down to the younger generation - comfort food is always welcomed.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »
absolutely! :-*
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 07:10:21 am »
DD made this last night for tea, and it was very flavoursome. Tasty family dish with the sossies, tomato, and curry. Good all rounder and I can see we will be having this a lot in the future. Thanks JD  :-* We added a few more sossies (as the two males in our family have arguments over portion sizes).
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21:55 am »
Glad your family liked this recipe CP63.