Author Topic: Chicken, ricotta and spinach cannelloni  (Read 45093 times)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
Re: Chicken, ricotta and spinach cannelloni
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
Ha ha this is the first time I've asked a question and got an answer in real time!!! Bloddy brilliant (!!)

Ok I'm winging it and have bunged it in a 200C oven (preheated) and I've substituted quark for the ricotta as my ricotta smelled too 'natural' and DH's face when I asked for the comfirmatory smell test was a sight!

I've also subbed courgette (zucchini) for the celery...
And mascarpone for the cream in the sauce...

(So much for my 'oh that'll save us from boiled eggs and weetabix for supper, as I have all of those ingredients in the kitchen....')

My DDs are making the steamed bread, as a trial run for a school class+Thermomix experiment later this week!

(yep another early night in this house thanks to TMX!)

Will let you all know the response - I've already had the youngest commenting that she doesn't think she'll be eating or liking it... I responded that I would definitely be eating whatever she made and I'd be enjoying it, even if I didn't like the taste - as she would have put so much love and effort into making it....
(be interesting to see if my tact diplomacy and subtlety will pay off later...)

(or the cheese on top...)

Gillian ;-)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »
well my chicken spinach and ricotta came out looking pretty good, but will have to report later how it tastes as I assembled it and then froze it.  the cannelloni tubes looked really well cooked, thanks JD for reassuring me, I w a little nervous about putting raw chicken into steam. this made 24 cannelloni tubes very generous size.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »
No worries GHM, a little reassurance is sometimes all we need when we have some doubts about a recipe.  I hope you enjoy the meal when you finally have it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 07:07:13 am »
I've got this prepped and ready for mum to cook in the oven tonight while I'm at work. I used bought cannelloni tubes and made 21 of them. I had a little more chicken and spinach than the recipe stated. I also pureed some red kidney beans and added to the sauce ;) ;)

I'm sure mum will enjoy these tonight because she loves the combination of spinach and ricotta. Hopefully she will remember to take photos for me! :-))

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:40 am »
Typically, because I was so excited about mum enjoying this, she didn't actually enjoy it that much :( She said it was "only okay."

She said she baked it for about an hour and the pasta was still a little chewy. I'm not really sure why that would be. But unfortunately I don't think I'll be making it again...

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 01:12:28 am »
amy i have not made these but i just read it now it does say to cook them in the varoma, IMO not enough liquid to cook /bake them in the oven
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:06 am »
Other people have cooked them in the oven though, and it sounds like theirs turned out okay ???

I see what you mean about there not being enough liquid though. My sauce wasn't even very liquidy :-\

Maybe I'll try it again with the steaming method and see if mum likes it any better. I'll just have to tell her its a different recipe :-))

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 01:22:35 am »
That is a good trick Amy :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:59 am »
I made this tonight. I used cannelloni tubes and a piping bag to fill them.  Still very fiddly. The sauce was lovely. I did not drain the tomatoes and added about 1/2 a can of water. I will definitely make this again and will probably increase the water in the sauce next time.

I plated the cooked cannelloni and topped with sauce then a mixture of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I placed the plates under a hot grill to melt the cheese.

I found this mixture made 18 cannelloni.

Amy do what DD did and still bake them, i would think baking would be much nicer
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 06:24:06 am »
That is a good trick Amy :)

Sometimes I have to think like a parent ;)

I made this tonight. I used cannelloni tubes and a piping bag to fill them.  Still very fiddly. The sauce was lovely. I did not drain the tomatoes and added about 1/2 a can of water. I will definitely make this again and will probably increase the water in the sauce next time.

I plated the cooked cannelloni and topped with sauce then a mixture of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. I placed the plates under a hot grill to melt the cheese.

I found this mixture made 18 cannelloni.

Amy do what DD did and still bake them, i would think baking would be much nicer

I can't believe I missed that. I thought I had read all the comments. Poop! I'll definitely have to try it again this way :-))
Thanks Uni :-*

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 07:28:26 am »
I bake them but I use my standard Neapolitana sauce, not the one in the recipe.  I love these

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 02:14:56 pm »
Amy I think the steaming in the varoma worked well, but I would add a bit more liquid to the sauce next time.  When baking in oven if you are using the dried pasta tubes it may be best to put foil over for the first half of the baking so the sauce doesn't all evaporate prior to the tubes being cooked through.  I found that using the fresh pasta sheets also makes a difference as they don't take as long to cook. And no where near as fiddly to stuff.

Offline KazAndCo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:52 am »
Yum! I'm giving this a go this week!

Offline Lilli

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 12:30:52 pm »
Made this the other night and it was delicious. Have only had my Thermomix for a few weeks and it was my first go using the Varoma dish and It worked a treat. Tasted very light and healthy. My husband & guests loved it too. Will definitely make again

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
Thanks for the bump!
Initially all was good for us with this. But then after first single experiment I decided to use up the rest of the frozen spinach so that the end result was... Um... Very spinachy!

(In effect I used a double helping of spinach)

Probably would not recommend double spinach tweak to the recipe!!

G