Author Topic: Lychee and lemongrass martini  (Read 11654 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Lychee and lemongrass martini
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:27:39 am »
Inspired by a cocktail I recently had in Thailand

1 tin lychees (mine was 565g) drained.  Or fresh ones.
1/4 cup sugar
60ml white rum
1 lemongrass root (the white bulbous part)
250g ice

Blitz the sugar into icing sugar.  Add the rest and blitz.  Filled 2 large martini glasses

Yum!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee and lemongrass martini
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:35:44 am »
I never drink martinis Paul because I was of the belief they were a dry drink - would you describe this one as dry or sweet?  Sounds interesting.  I love margaritas and daiquiris (amongst other things!) but I'm guessing this isn't anything like them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:45:44 am »
It's not dry at all, I had it in a martini glass in Thailand and it had a lychee in it instead of an olive.  It was really sweet and refreshing, I've just drained the dregs actually!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:54:49 am »
Thanks for that, it is now in my drinks for visitors book.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:15:52 am »
YUMMO!! do you deliver?  :D

and were you over there with baf65? ;) hehe
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 10:44:03 am »
Really sounds YUMMMMO.

How did the lemongrass go being blitzed with the rest?  Might be good to blitz it with the sugar to get it fine, or is it not supposed to go fine?  Do you strain it?

A real summer drink !
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:48:13 am »
I did blitz it with the sugar for that reason!  It was a tad powdery - perhaps I should have strained it?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:42 am »
I did blitz it with the sugar for that reason!  It was a tad powdery - perhaps I should have strained it?

Sorry Paul - should the recipe read - blitz sugar and lemongrass, then add rest and blitz some more ? 

Think if I was going to strain at alll, then I would do the sugar and lemograss, then the rum. Blitz and then strain, clean bowl roughly and add lychees, rum mix and ice and blitz again.  The lemongrass flavour would be present without the fibre.

Just a thought - you could make a batch of lemongrass flavoured rum (is this white rum- Bacardi? or any?) , keep in fridge and then dose it out into cocktails as needed.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:43 am »
Thanks Thermomixer, I think that is the way to do it.  I did use Bacardi, maybe I could flavour it with lemongrass.  Cairns is the lemongrass growing capital of Australia anyway, so there's never a shortage

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:01:37 pm »
I have just made this martini - halved the recipe for a single serve.  It is quite sweet though so I think I will cut the sugar down a bit next time.  Did as Thermomixer suggested, blitzed the lemongrass and sugar, added the rum, strained it then added the lychees & ice and blitzed again.  I think it is more like a daiquiri and it is delicious ;) ;) ;)  Now don't laugh at what I used to make this drink.  I had everything except the lemon grass so I used the jar variety - tasted just fine to me.  I used Malibu white rum with coconut which is my prefered rum for this type of drink.  Thanks Paul and Thermomixer for your ideas.  mmm  maybe I shouldn't have halved the recipe after all :-)) :-)) :-))

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 03:04:20 pm »

Now don't laugh at what I used to make this drink.  I had everything except the lemon grass so I used the jar variety - tasted just fine to me. 

Should be fine, but wash it well to remove the citric acid (?) preservative - maybe even with boiling water?  But sure it would give them same flavour.

You must enrol for the Thermomix Australia tasting panel JD - you are my tasting hero  :-* :-* :-* :-*  Wish more people would give feedback on the recipes - you really deserved the book.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 03:35:49 pm »
Thank you Thermomixer, I appreciate that comment.  Lack of comments was the one thing I noticed on this forum when I first joined and it was my goal to change that.  I think it is improving though and I'm sure it will continue to do so.  It can only be for the good of the forum. ;) ;) ;)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »
I'm glad you liked it JD, I agree it's more like a daiquiri but I had it served to me in a  martini glass with a lychee instead of an olive, so it was pretty cute