Author Topic: Coconut flour  (Read 4583 times)

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
Coconut flour
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:01:14 am »
we have just discover that DD miss 13 has developed a gluten allergy and intolerance to milk ..... it has been suggested that it is to do with hormones ... and she will most likely grow out of it, But fun thing is even when she was little below 4ish she didn't like milky products.... if we ever went for ice cream .... she would always select fruit/icy one over milky .... she doesn't like chocolate.... so i wonder if this is her taste buds protecting her body against the fight of lactose....

poor kid is struggling with no bread and she is a bit of a fussy eater as well ....she doesn't like eggs or seafood or dried fruit.... she is a bit over GF crackers already .... so i am trying to bake what i can to give her a bit of variety in her lunch box ... but she eats all salads ,,, and she is a bit over salads in her lunch box too. tried her with (the type of soak) rice paper rolls .... she doesn't like them ...giggles she doesn't like the feel of biting into them..... so tomorrow i have fried rice, going to make whole orange cake for a snack with gf

anyway i am looking into GF products ...... and it has been suggested to me that coconut flour has a better flavour and texture when baking .... and i am just wanting to know if there are GF wise ones that can give me their opinions...cause i am worried that they might just be trying to make a sale cause there is a bit of a difference in the $ .... or if it is genuine advice ....cheers

as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
Re: Coconut flour
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:37 am »
Phatassphairy, have you checked out Quirky Jo's blog "Quirky Cooking"?.  She does a lot of gluten free cooking, including cooking with coconut flour. 

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:23 pm »
about to say check jo's blog too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »
thanks for that .... i have spied on Jo's blog before  ..... but i think i will be doing it more often  ;D (and saving it into favourites)
as long as you keep eating my pancakes .....i will stand here and keep flippin them out filled with nothing but love in my heart 'cause you chose my table to sit at =)P

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:08:42 am »
Pap I use coconut flour sometimes in cooking.  It is more expensive but you use far less of it (I think 1/4 cup of coconut flour for every cup of plain flour).

I don't like the taste of coconut oil but I find coconut flour fine.  As well as quirky Jo's blog, you will find plenty of recipes on Teresa Cutter's blog The Healthy Chef  and another great one is Against All Grain.  I'm not gluten free but go to both their blogs because they have delicious healthy recipes I make for the kids lunches.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 01:50:50 am »
Chookie has a couple of recipes on her blog using coconut flour but ordinary flour is used as well so perhaps they won't be suitable for you phat.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:05:30 am »
I was also going to recommend Teresa Cutters site - I have been cooking from it alot recently and it is very adaptable to the Thermomix. I have never used less butter, sugar or flour :) My kids love her chocolate chip cookies - though i use a combination of almond and Linseed flour.
I have just started to use Coconut flour but havent been so successful so far - probably need some more practice!

Offline phatassphairy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:20 am »
thanks girls .... off to have a look

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 07:55:44 pm »
hello and welcome to the forum Paleoght
i don't need a recipe i'm italian