Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4497707 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #1230 on: November 24, 2011, 08:31:27 pm »
Wow Maddy I love your Christmas purchases - I bought another tree (305 off at Target yesterday) so that we could have a tree in rumpus room  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: November 24, 2011, 08:42:01 pm »
how many trees do you put up???
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #1232 on: November 24, 2011, 09:20:06 pm »
I hardly use my current toaster so definatley couldnt justify that price tag for one but like how its different..however just having clear sides doesnt justify the hike in price compared to a standard toaster in my eyes  :-))

The regular Dualit toasters cost more than that and I have had bad luck with the ones I bought.  I think they were designed to work on the higher voltage in the UK and the ones designed for the US simply did not have enough power.  I think I spent over $350.00 on the first one I bought and it never worked as well as my (then) 40-year-old Sunbeam T20.   
I bought a Russell Hobbs automatic tea kettle from the UK and used it with a transformer for years before they were engineered for the US.  It boiled water much faster than the newer one I got.  Some things simply don't "translate" well when crossing the pond.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: November 24, 2011, 11:18:06 pm »
I hardly use my current toaster so definatley couldnt justify that price tag for one but like how its different..however just having clear sides doesnt justify the hike in price compared to a standard toaster in my eyes  :-))

The regular Dualit toasters cost more than that and I have had bad luck with the ones I bought.  I think they were designed to work on the higher voltage in the UK and the ones designed for the US simply did not have enough power.  I think I spent over $350.00 on the first one I bought and it never worked as well as my (then) 40-year-old Sunbeam T20.   

.....to this day, hubby does not know how much I paid for our dualit......and it will never cross my lips either  :P
Love it.....we do use it frequently, so that was enough justification for me.....oh and maybe because of it's colour helped sway the decision slightly  ;D

Had it for years and hasn't skipped a beat.  If the elements ever pack up, you can purchase replacements and fit them yourself.

If it ever goes to god.....will replace it with this one

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: November 25, 2011, 02:48:20 am »
Maddy, I had the one in which you could toast sandwiches as well as make toast.  It came with two sandwich "cages" for use in two of the 4 slots.

It worked okay for a while but then began to toast unevenly - the toast look like it had bars on it. 

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: November 25, 2011, 10:22:29 am »
Bought a Breville (quiet) kettle, as my current one sprung a leak, a gas Weber bbq (was going to build a woodfired pizza oven, but went for practicality instead), two mattresses and more 'everyday' wine glasses, as my DH has a habit of breaking them!  He broke (pardon the pun) his own record last week, by breaking two in the same week.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:47 am »
we got one  ;Dwell 2 1 for us and 1 for DS

the milk frother is fantastic DD said its better than nespresso

a big mug does fits nicely
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: November 26, 2011, 03:06:56 am »
Here's my shopping from our getaway in the Barossa Valley.  Not shown are the fresh fruit and vegetables from the Angaston Farmers market bought on the way home. The 4 pack wine (Rizza) was from Kaesler Winery.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: November 26, 2011, 05:27:28 pm »
In this morning's email there was another discount code from Williams-Sonoma for all electrics as well as a Free Shipping code, also for electrics.
I also found a W-S gift card that was buried under some junk on my desk (should clean more often) and which I had been "saving" for something special. 

Therefore I ordered the Magimix Vision toaster.   With the discount and the free shipping (still had to pay the sales tax) it brought my out-of-pocket cost down to 129.44...

Not bad.   As soon as it is in my hot little hands I will be taking photos of the toaster in action to see if it conforms to the hype.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: November 26, 2011, 05:46:47 pm »
In this morning's email there was another discount code from Williams-Sonoma for all electrics as well as a Free Shipping code, also for electrics.
I also found a W-S gift card that was buried under some junk on my desk (should clean more often) and which I had been "saving" for something special. 

Therefore I ordered the Magimix Vision toaster.   With the discount and the free shipping (still had to pay the sales tax) it brought my out-of-pocket cost down to 129.44...

Not bad.   As soon as it is in my hot little hands I will be taking photos of the toaster in action to see if it conforms to the hype.

Wow Andie just too good an offer to ignore ;) I love toast ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: November 26, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »
They look great Judy what was Maggies shop like? I would love to go there one day.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 26, 2011, 09:46:43 pm »
Maggie's farm shop was a real buzz Yvette.  Tastings everywhere but lacking bread or crackers. Her produce makes you realise just how much we can do ourselves though so in that regard, thermomix visitors would probably not be her best customers ;) I love anything beetroot so couldn't pass up her beetroot jam. The Barossa Bark reminded me of Chookies Savoury Flat Bread - if only I could remember the price of Maggies for just a few pieces of 'bark' per packet. DD2 is up there at the moment so I have asked her to check out the price for me - I know it is going to make me feel so good that Chookie's recipe makes heaps for practically nothing. There is a lake out the back which has turtles hanging aimlessly around in it and I saw a peacock in the car park.  It was almost lunch time when we were there so the place was buzzing with people.  The menu is based around 'picnic fare baskets' - a casual, light lunch relaxing overlooking the lake. Here are some photos of the different choices. Not all reviews were positive but then you get that anywhere you go, some people you just can't please.  Cooking demonstration at 2pm (not Maggie) but we weren't there then.  I'll swear one of the women behind the counter must be Maggie's sister - I heard her voice, spun around expecting to see Maggie but no, someone very similar in appearance instead.  This place is a must for any foodie visiting the Barossa Valley.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: November 27, 2011, 08:57:40 am »
Thanks Judy, yes I agree we probably could make a lot of her produce but it is nice seeing what others make and she seems like a lovely lady. Glad you are home safe and had a good trip  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 27, 2011, 09:32:52 am »
DD rang from Maggie's this morning - Barossa Bark has 4 pieces in the pack and costs $9.95 so thanks Chookie for your Savoury Flat Bread recipe. :-*

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 27, 2011, 09:37:37 am »
OMG, how much, bank loan needed to feed a party,   I defrosted the rest of chookies flat bread yesterday and put them in the oven, still lovely.

How can she charge so much!!!!!!

Thans chookie :)

Gotta dash DS is putting on a magic show, this will crack us up, he is sooo excited....

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......