Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4528058 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #525 on: September 08, 2011, 02:24:07 pm »
 :D :D :D :D Amanda you crack me up!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 08, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »
I'm off to the UK tomorrow.  I'm sure something will accidentally fall onto my credit card too.  My EDC is waiting for me at my friend's house, so the conference shopping has already begun!

xxx

;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 09, 2011, 04:05:57 pm »
A very nice handbag accidentally fell into my credit card today

too funnee. just love how you have an open credit card for thingees to fall into some catchment plan (its a winner obviously). some members always seem to"win competitions"... one time I won a second chance draw in Kellogs Cornflakes the  for a trip to Thailand (eons ago) but even my little DS18mo at the time remembers it with clarity.  It was wonderful.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:47 am »
Finally, my 2 books arrived from amazon. I ordered then when i was in Bali

500 pizzasa & flatbreads, nice with lots of pictures ;D

A book called Cakes, not mayny photos :(

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #529 on: September 10, 2011, 03:33:26 am »
Ooh, excitement!  ;D ;D
My new Kindle arrived yesterday - still in the box waiting for me to have some peace and quiet this afternoon for a play with it.
I gave my much loved old one to my mother so that she could see if she  would be able to wrap her hear around the technology and haven't seen it since! 
I wasn't too disappointed though as it was the perfect excuse to get the later model.  ;)
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:04 am »
Mum is probably still trying to wrap her head around it Amanda if she is anything like mine  ;D ;D  It sounds like a win win situation though, you got what you wanted in the end  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #531 on: September 10, 2011, 05:11:35 am »
We had a few hiccoughs, Judy, and a couple of confused phone calls, but she has read 2 books on it now and seems to be getting the hang of it.  It will be great for her as she loves to read and finds books eat into her budget too much.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 10, 2011, 11:21:56 am »
I have had my kindle for 2 weeks now and I just LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEE it :) Books eat into our budget in a huge way as all 7 of us are very big bookworms... and for the most part, very different in what we read  :-)) :-)) I will be purchasing one for everyone eventually. I was the willing guinea pig  ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #533 on: September 10, 2011, 11:41:40 am »
You'll be amazed at how much money you'll save - on recreational reading anyway, Kathryn.  I bought mine when they first became available here in Oz, using the cost savings on books as an excuse.  I find that it has freed up funds to buy more cookbooks, so The Husband is still unconvinced about its economical efficacy. ;)
You may well find that you actually read more, too - I average a book per week usually, but find I am reading slightly more as the Kindle is so convenient to carry and I don't need to worry about bookmarks or heavy hardbacks fitting into my bag.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 10, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »
I love my kindle - a chrissie pres from DH last Xmas.  I carry it everywhere and now have the portable light which attaches to the corner. Looking forward to hearing your review re the usefulness of this little gem Amanda!!!  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline medusa

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 10, 2011, 01:10:30 pm »
how much on average is a book for a kindle?  Just interested in the difference.  I am not sure if I would like one as I love nothign more then going to bed with a good book, just can't imagine it would be the same with a kindle.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #536 on: September 10, 2011, 05:22:32 pm »
If you like old classics, literature and mysteries, you can get many free books and book collections.

Many new authors are offering books for 99 ¢ here in the U.S. and on up from there.  The new releases of established authors are not much less than the hardback price but when the paperback is released, the Kindle price drops too.

You can also get books via Internet Archive and others -  and once you have your Kindle account, you can download the software for reading Kindle books on your computer via "Kindle for Mac" and "Kindle for PC"   - I download cookbooks to my MacBook as recipes are easier to read on the large screen.  And now there are a lot of cookbooks available for Kindle. 

If you go to this page it will give you an idea of what is available free.

If you are a fan of Georgette Heyer  Regency stories, most are listed at
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 10, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
I've had my kindle since Xmas and it goes everywhere with me - I love the convenience.  Early this year we did a lot of overseas travel and having the kindle on board the plane with me instead of a dozen books was great - none of the weight or bulk of the hard copy books.  My one guilty regret of the kindle is the closure of book shops - I find that sad as I still really love to browse 'the real thing'. 

Kindle book prices vary, but as Andie said, there are a lot of free or very cheap books available - mostly the great classics are very cheap (I believe because copyright has run out on them).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #538 on: September 10, 2011, 10:50:08 pm »
Also, some authors are writing purely for the e-book market.  I came across a discussion some weeks ago in which several authors who despaired of ever getting a book published, found they could launch an e-book and get some notice. 
I'll see if I can find the link and post it.  It was very interesting.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #539 on: September 11, 2011, 02:05:04 am »
Not as exciting as what others ore buying but might be interesting to some.  Malted wheat grain and wheat malt from the Brewing shop. Dulse flakes from Health food shop in Kyneton and the Bread book was bought in America by a person I met on the Tour of Scandinavia  and posted to me.  Nice thought and has some interesting recipes.