Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 803663 times)

Offline mmsie

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1530 on: September 22, 2012, 02:38:03 am »
I cannot believe the difference it has made by menu planning. I have no idea what on earth I used to spend so much money on! We always have food and I have a couple of hours extra that I would have spent in the supermarket, popping in after work most days - it is worth it for that alone!

I still stock pile toiletries but I guess I should start using them up to see even more savings!

I am camping for 2 weeks in the holidays - no menu planning and worse - NO TMX! I dont know how I will cope!

Have a great day everyone x
Where's Wally?

*suzanne*

« Reply #1531 on: September 22, 2012, 02:43:03 am »
Thanks H :)

I have had a menu board for about 4yrs now I got sick of everybody asking "what's for dinner" but still my grocery shopping bill is a little high,I am a sucker for specials so will try and just go with my list and stick to it and empty my freezer and pantry.
I don't buy coffee out any more since we have had our own machine, unless like you it's morning tea with friends.

This is going to be fun, I will get to Singapore F1 that is my goal!!!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 22, 2012, 02:48:54 am »
We have a family of 4, but I cook dinner for my parents 3-4  nights per week too.

I also bake cakes, biscuits,slices,  for my parents too,

I spend a average of $160 per week.

Last week was $125.

i have just cleaned out my huge pantry, found 6 bottles of bbq sauce, 12 dolimo sauce, and more.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 24, 2012, 03:25:19 am »
Went shopping on Saturday..$48 for the week. best week ever since cleaning out the pantry.. ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline BecciM

• View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 27, 2012, 04:31:14 am »
Well done Obbie, that's a great week!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 27, 2012, 04:33:46 am »
Thanks Becci, hopefully about that this week too, all I need is fruit and veges again..

[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 27, 2012, 04:53:55 am »
Mmsie, hope the weather is better for camping.

Obbie, what a great week for you.

You better get on a mission to go through those Dolmio sauces, lol. Bolognaise comng up n your house :) i used a dolmio jar instead of tinned tomatoes in miniestrone soup, it was lovely.

This week I am under at $92.25 which inclueds evvo for $20 & my nestle choc bits which were not on my list at $11.10. I was hoping for a zero spend next week but ts not going to happen. I have 4 litres of milk left & not enough fresh salads. I will try & keep the bill as low as possible. Monday is a public holiday so that means we will probably buy some treats too. Apart from pizza on monday meals from suday through to monday will be from the freezer, just adding a few salads or veg. School holdays doesnt help either, but cp at tennis camp for 4 days :)

Menu
Sunday, lunch out, dinner left overs
Monday, pizza & nibbles
Tuesday butter chicken from freezer
Wednesday, burgers from freezer
Thursday, chicken pie filling from freezer
Friday,  pasta from freezer
Sat, make Egg sandwiches for the plane.

Lunches, soups, left overs from freezer & sandwiches

Easy :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 27, 2012, 05:30:25 am »
where are going on the plane this time Hally..

[/url

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:42 am »
My DH said to me when we were out shipping, prices are what they are. Meaning stop worrying about the $100 a week. Buy seasonal and buy what we need. I live in a remote area and am not sure when we are moving, so have already partialy emptied the pantry.

So no freezers, or large pantries to menu plan from. So, I am more aware of what I am buying however,  I am not actively trying to only spend $100 a week as I was trying to include meats, toiletries, cleaners etc.  I am continuing to menu plan and enjoy this thread.

*suzanne*

« Reply #1539 on: September 27, 2012, 05:48:15 am »
So this week I spent $160 so pretty good considering I left my shopping list on the bench at home  :-)), I will need to get more milk ,fruit and veg though

Well done Robyn and Hally it's amazing when you actually stop and think "do I really need that" and put it back on the shelf, it felt good

mcmich

« Reply #1540 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:18 am »
Went shopping on Saturday..$48 for the week. best week ever since cleaning out the pantry.. ;D
Amazing how finding 6 bottles of sauce and 4 pkts of breakfast cereal gets you motivated.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 27, 2012, 06:50:49 am »
I have lots of BBQ sauce

[/url

mcmich

« Reply #1542 on: September 27, 2012, 06:51:54 am »
I did read that somewhere  ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:17 am »
where are going on the plane this time Hally..

Hawaii, yay ;D

Next week I am going to do a grand total of all my shops & get the average. I hope its going to be around $100, might be mre with cooking for my friend  & having eb with us a  lot in July.

Then will start over, cant really count the 2 weeks away, would love too, it would  get the average right down ;D

Clean slate when we return.

H :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 28, 2012, 04:26:12 am »
I popped into C today, thought I will buy pizza base, save my back fron hurting etc. no way, the ones I liked the look of were $4 each, 3 pizzas $12 plus topping!!

I thought I will check the bakers for a few things, 70 cents per roll!!!!

Thermie saves you so much money. Came away empty handed, coudnt believe the prices of dough!!  Bass flour, yeast & water!!!

Back to Thermie.

H :)