Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 802542 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #1260 on: August 04, 2012, 12:06:59 am »
JD, thats amazing 8 weeks no spend. I need that addiction :)
Milk is our issue, fresh milk, we use lots & none of us like long life.

ES, i havent bought pasta either, still have 3 pkts of spaghetti, risoni, fusli & macaroni. I am not making or buying any until what I have is nearly gone. I used spaghetti in lasagna, it worked quite well. Cooked it up & just layered it like sheets. This week I have my tins out on the bench to remind me to use them :) try & make do, one day I am hoping to easily view my pantry instead of I know I have it, but where ???

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 04, 2012, 06:59:21 am »
Oh my goodness Judy - at first I thought you had gone for 8 weeks straight without shopping   :D  A bit of careful reading set me straight there

Well, Saturday morning is traditionally my grocery shopping morning - but after joining this challenge, we didnt go this morning.  We need a little F&V, but I am sending DH and boys off to farmer's market tomorrow morning to get that - so I might manage a supermarket-free week, even if I cant quite do a shopping free week yet!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 05, 2012, 03:11:52 am »

Well last week I blew it, as I'd already posted.  I spent twice as much as I should have.  This week I was right on budget of $175 but instead of shopping on Tuesday I waited until Friday.  I'm going to wait until next Tuesday to do my next shop.  That'll mean I'm back on track after the blow out week.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 05, 2012, 03:33:13 am »
$50 at the farmers markets this morning, which bought enough fruit and veg and eggs to last at least 1 week, if not two. 
Karen in Adelaide

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 06, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »
I've spent about $65 at the growers market this week, and have managed to keep away from the supermarket. With any luck that will be it for the week. Mind you, my shopping list is growing.
I have used up quite a few tins from the cupboard in the last few days, so that is starting to look better, and there is a little more room in the freezer too.
Happy happy, joy, joy!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1265 on: August 06, 2012, 11:41:29 pm »
Judy,  I am going to follow your example and try and have a shopping free week.  Some real inspiration there.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 06, 2012, 11:42:49 pm »
Chookie, what about milk?

H :)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 07, 2012, 12:34:31 am »
I've just done my weekly shop - and overspent by $30.  :-[ 
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:39 am »
Sunday I did my weekly shop and that was $160
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 07, 2012, 04:13:22 am »
Back from supermarket, spent so far which includes thursdays fruit & veg $47.60. Bought 1 tin of tomatoes :) including the canelinni beans & tomatoes, minestrone soup in pc, I have used 5 tins. YAY
 Sent ds off to school with a tin of spaghetti in his flask, he thought it was a great treat :)

Will need to buy more milk & some cheese treats for the weekend, so at least another $30-$40 probably, we will see.

Everyone is still doing so weell :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 07, 2012, 04:28:55 am »
Even though my pantry looks very over full I don't have a lot of tins. I probably have 6 tins of fruit (bought on special as DD has fruit on her cereal) and that will last 6 weeks, a couple of tins of tomatoes, milo, coffee and the usual sauces etc. I don't stock up on things any more as when we shifted I found all sorts of things in the pantry. Now I try to menu plan and buy just the tins we need. I do have lots of types of rice, heaps of types of flour, dried fruits, nuts and things like this. They are all in sealed containers because of the dread pantry moth.
I hope to go up to a local F & V place this afternoon as they have lovely stuff. I have a 90+year old darling friend who has been admitted to hospital and want to go and see her too, so the F & V may have to miss out. She is far more important as I love her dearly.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:50 am »
Even though my pantry looks very over full I don't have a lot of tins. I probably have 6 tins of fruit (bought on special as DD has fruit on her cereal) and that will last 6 weeks, a couple of tins of tomatoes, milo, coffee and the usual sauces etc. I don't stock up on things any more as when we shifted I found all sorts of things in the pantry. Now I try to menu plan and buy just the tins we need. I do have lots of types of rice, heaps of types of flour, dried fruits, nuts and things like this. They are all in sealed containers because of the dread pantry moth.
I hope to go up to a local F & V place this afternoon as they have lovely stuff. I have a 90+year old darling friend who has been admitted to hospital and want to go and see her too, so the F & V may have to miss out. She is far more important as I love her dearly.

Visting friends is alway better than spending money I find!  :)  We have an old family friend in a home at the moment...DH used to go to her place for lunch from school sometimes, he thinks very fondly of her - as do I and the girls, we all enjoy going to see her.  :)  Her husband died a few months ago aged 103.
:D

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 07, 2012, 07:20:44 am »
My weekly supermarket shop came to around $75 which is great BUT... Before that I had spent about $150 at Costco, not all on food. Need to do my sums to work out total spend for the week, and add on my Aussie farmers bill. I bought some fruit & eggs at Costco, I'll include those in my budget.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 08, 2012, 05:37:57 am »
Cookie, hope you enjoyed your vist, much better than shopping.

Well I dont need anymore food, I am at $73.70, but I woud love some cheese & some nuts which would make me up or over budget, we shall see. I love a good cheese platter. :)
I mst confess I bought tinned tomatoes & a tin of chickpeas, so have added to my tin collection >:( as long as I work on use mre than you buy, then the pantry should go down ???

H :)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:00 pm »
I agree. If you have used up all of one type of tinned food, you can buy another to replace it, as long as it is something that you are using regularly. I have just been to the supermarket and bought 1 tin each of tomatoes, corn and salmon as I have used the last of these from my cupboard.
I managed to avoid a supermarket shop last week, and my total spend for the week was $67.15. That's exactly half my budget!
However, I have just done the supermarket shop for this week and I have spent $99 already  >:(
I'm sure that if I average it out over the two weeks, I'll still come under.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous