Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 794454 times)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #720 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
Queen Be, I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks,and plan on continuing as my freezer is still full and I need to pay down my credit card. Please feel free to join us on this challenge.
I'm almost at the end of my week, and will come in on budget again. Yay!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:46 pm »
People can join the challenge at any stage, the thread will remain here for those wishing to continue with it. I'll add your name to the list on page 1 Queen Be (love your avatar).
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2012, 01:31:01 pm »
Medussa, there is no way I could  do it if meat was included. I have been challenged at times with what I do have or need. Dh is mssing the nuts I used to buy, plus I have had to be strict & stick to my weeks menu. $100 doesnt go far, fruit & veg anythng from $28-$55, & dairy is a huge expenditure, so doesnt leave  much for everything else, but it can be done or nearly done.

Come join us

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2012, 01:51:38 pm »
Hally re freezer bags splitting: when we get a cow butchered, we bag it ourselves, and our butcher also suggested (like keiramax) putting cardboard underneath, especially if your shelves/trays are metal as the bags will definitely stick to the metal. He also suggested we open the freezer after a few hours before the meat has totally frozen and take out all the bags and repack them again, that way it ensures they don't stick together and split/get stuck when you go to use them. It works for us :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #724 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:06 pm »
I'm including meat in my budget.
I keep overspending though, so probably need to make it $150 a week instead of $125!

Yesterday, I overspent again, but by less than last time. At least, my overspending is reducing! I won't do my total yet, as I'm out of Dairy Soft and butter and buy 4 of each at a time, so that will have to be included after tomorrow.

I bought a fair bit of meat and chicken yesterday - all on special. A whole roast chicken for only $4kg and Lamb Chops for $17kg, leg of lamb reduced as well.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2012, 11:32:37 pm »
This year I have been including the meat in my $100 budget but there is just the two of us and we do tend to dine out and go away a bit. Each week I buy whatever is on special at the butchers or chicken/seafood shops or whatever we are running low on in the freezer.  Last week spent $20 on lamb steaks that were on special this week I will be buying a large bag of Australian frozen prawns, next week will be time to get some more chicken supplies as I have plenty of salmon and beef in the freezer. Its amazing how soon supplies build up. Some weeks if I don't need to buy much I stock up on pantry/freezer items. I freeze just about all leftovers as well and try and make all stocks, sauces, preserves etc. it's such a lot of  fun!
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »
Bubbles, thank you. Opening the freezer & repacking sounds like a great idea.

I have had a thought, , i have cardboard boxes from my aussie farmers delivery. They fit the freezer, can put meat in them with a newspaper layer between them & then take it all out after a few hours & they should  all stack neatly and not stick.

MJ, how many do you feed?

Jude, yes its amazing how quick the freezer can get filled ??? :o. One of the reasons I started the challenge.

What is everyones pantry like? Am I the only one that seems to  6 or more of most things? Would love to know.

mcmich

« Reply #727 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:58 pm »
Same same H . No coffee or snacks when out . For goodness sake I have very expensive  almost commercial machine at home with excellent beans  so I am crazy to spend. 4 bucks on coffee. That is a new me mantra.

The exercise has made me rethink my whole spending pattern. And like you I no longer need so much cash..

Gert

I too am thinking twice before spending money when out. DH and I do like to have a coffe when we are out and do eat out at least once a week which isn't in the $100.00 a week budget. Everything else is included though, meat, cleaning products and toiletries.
It's working out well for our household this way.
I think we are all doing so well at saving on our shopping bills and just spending in general.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 28, 2012, 12:02:04 am »
I don't spend any money during the week. I am at work, so don't need to.  I bring leftovers, or something in for lunch, snacks.
Its only the groceries that I spend on.

I buy chicken, beef, fish, lamb, pork in bulk, we have 3 chest freezers. :)  much cheaper, especially up here.

we have a coffee shop next door, and if I go out the front I can smell what she bakes,  but I refuse to buy any thing or coffee there.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 28, 2012, 12:45:38 am »
Well need to save money now, the hotwater service split this morning.  A big expense I definitely wasn't planning for.  Will be spending the day doing some research on what to get. 

Why is it when you just think you are getting on top of things along comes a big expense that you weren't planning for.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:30 am »
Bummer Keirajax, its always the way. At least you have money saved from grocery shopping, woud be worse if you didnt

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:16 am »
Bubbles, thank you. Opening the freezer & repacking sounds like a great idea.

I have had a thought, , i have cardboard boxes from my aussie farmers delivery. They fit the freezer, can put meat in them with a newspaper layer between them & then take it all out after a few hours & they should  all stack neatly and not stick.

MJ, how many do you feed?

Jude, yes its amazing how quick the freezer can get filled ??? :o. One of the reasons I started the challenge.

What is everyones pantry like? Am I the only one that seems to  6 or more of most things? Would love to know.

Nope H - you are not the only one with 6+ of the same thing in your pantry....... :)
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 28, 2012, 01:59:23 am »
Hally, i have 6 or more of somethings. jelly, sauces, ect.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 28, 2012, 02:25:55 am »
Good I dont feel so bad now, we are all hoarders :D

Chester has arrived, shiny & new.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:34 am »
I don't spend any money during the week. I am at work, so don't need to.  I bring leftovers, or something in for lunch, snacks.
Its only the groceries that I spend on.

I buy chicken, beef, fish, lamb, pork in bulk, we have 3 chest freezers. :)  much cheaper, especially up here.

we have a coffee shop next door, and if I go out the front I can smell what she bakes,  but I refuse to buy any thing or coffee there.

Does she still make those wonderful pies
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.