Author Topic: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge  (Read 804463 times)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
Re: Anyone want to join me on my $100 per week food challenge
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2012, 10:37:45 am »
My DH doubles the total spent too - must be a novelty for them to go shopping perhaps?  :-))
:D

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2012, 12:21:43 pm »
I'm doing really well so far! I shop per fortnight but get dribs and drabs during the week. My fortnight spending so far has been $54.42 on fruit and veg, $4.00 on milk and $55.20 on meat so well within the $100 per week so far. I have no need for anything for the pantry at the moment. Loving this challenge especially as we are really trying to save money at the moment.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2012, 08:52:22 pm »
Well, I blew it yesterday - needed to buy more fruit, bread and milk, so I'm over this week by approx. $20.00.  Will try again next week and see if I can do better, but I've got to say that I can really see a difference in my wallet, I'm very impressed with the money I have saved - or, more accurately, not spent!

Even if I drop back into some of my bad old ways at the end of the month, I think I will be far more aware of my spending than I was at the beginning of the challenge so, thanks Halley, for getting this up and running.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2012, 10:04:09 pm »
Me too Cuildh. I was going to have a no spend week like JD but we have friends moving away from Cairns  sohad them over to a seafood dinner. This week I have spent $64.00  most of which I didn't really need but still well under. I think by the end of the week I will have spent no more than $70.

Not bad for a "no spend" week.  :D

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2012, 12:29:20 am »
Michelle, I am leaving the family home again from now. Its cheaper.
My husband bought 5 pairs of socks last week too.
 :)
This week all I will need is fruit and veges.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2012, 01:18:03 am »
... talking about socks and jocks.  I was at the Myer stocktake sale this week and bought a load of both for DH and even with the huge sale discount they still cost more than $250.00!  It's as well they are not part of the challenge.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2012, 01:23:32 am »
Socks & jocks for dh cost that too, we do an annaul shop for them & I always cringe, $300 in essentials.

If anyone has Nigellas  ritzy nuggets on their menu, jatz are on special for $2 at Coles.

Looking over the last  2 weeks I can see now where the money has been spent. Fruit & veg, dairy are my 2 biggest expenses.

Those of you that are coming in well under $100, thats amazing, I dont know hw you are doing it. I sail very close to the wind.

After my next 2 aussie farmers delivery, I have about $17.50 to spend which will go in a flash. I must admit I miss having a wide selection of cheese to choose from.

Happy Savings ;D

H :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:35:55 am by Halex »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2012, 01:56:24 am »
Well first week of the challenge over and I've spent $134.00 for the week.  Not too bad, my biggest expense is milk and soy milk  This week we have gone through 12 litres of normal milk and 8 litres of soy milk.  That is for 2 adults and 1 toddler.  Not sure where it all goes.

Good news is that I have meat, veg and fruit left over so hopefully this week will be a low spend week.

This challenge has made me rethink our other expenses and I've started to pay monthly installments on our big bills to spread it out a bit more.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2012, 02:23:23 am »
 :o 20 litres of milk a week
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2012, 02:29:50 am »
This week we have gone through 12 litres of normal milk and 8 litres of soy milk.  That is for 2 adults and 1 toddler.  Not sure where it all goes.

Looks like you will have to make a list of how you use all that milk keiramax - for 2 people I bought 6 litres fresh milk and 2 litres LL in case I run out.  With 3 days left before the start of my new week, I still have 4 litres fresh milk left + the LL of course. Someone is drinking an awful lot of milk in your household  :o
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2012, 02:38:48 am »
This week we have gone through 12 litres of normal milk and 8 litres of soy milk.  That is for 2 adults and 1 toddler.  Not sure where it all goes.

Looks like you will have to make a list of how you use all that milk keiramax - for 2 people I bought 6 litres fresh milk and 2 litres LL in case I run out.  With 3 days left before the start of my new week, I still have 4 litres fresh milk left + the LL of course. Someone is drinking an awful lot of milk in your household  :o

For two people I have bought about 4 litres in the past six months. The only time I have milk in the house is when I am expecting guests  or to use in cooking.

I cannot believe 2 people can drink 20 litres of milk in a week. Wine yes milk no.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:17 am »
thats all most 7 liters each a week
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2012, 02:58:35 am »
we go through about 6 liters a week  for 4 of us.

Wine yes, milk no...... ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2012, 03:01:29 am »
we go through about 6 liters a week  for 4 of us.

Wine yes, milk no...... ;D

;D >:( ;D >:( >: ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2012, 03:03:30 am »
I'd be pushing it to drink 20 litres of anything in a week  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.